India rejected, so China built SL ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phenom

Okay, is the Sinhalese-Tamil hatred only due to the stuff that happened post independence, or is it older ?
Don't know about the Sinhalese side, but as far as Indian Tamils are concerned the rivalry started in the 80s. Before that, there used to be a good mixture of both Tamil and Sinhalese Culture, Ceylon Radio was apparently one of the most listened to Radio in Southern TN and their songs were pretty popular in Tamilnadu.

Param

I understand the sensitivity of TN members to SL issue,but I don't know why we should cut our ties with one of our imp neighbors for some people who are not even our citizens.Even US is not putting much pressure on SL due to it's importance.
US is not putting pressure on SL because of GoI. GoI supports the SL govt in the international arena. If not for GoI the SL govt and their leader would have been turned into toast by the West.
US is not a wimp like some other country that has no balls. It did not get involved in SL primarily because this is India's domain and they don't want to spoil their ties with us.

Param

Okay, is the Sinhalese-Tamil hatred only due to the stuff that happened post independence, or is it older ?
The hatred between SL tamils and Sinhalese is because post independence chauvinism by the Sinhalese.

The hatred between Indian tamils and Sinhalese was a result of India's support to the SL Tamils post 83. GoI used people from both sides of the straits to further its strategic interests and switched tracks in 87.

SPIEZ

Country flag
I understand the sensitivity of TN members to SL issue,but I don't know why we should cut our ties with one of our imp neighbors for some people who are not even our citizens.Even US is not putting much pressure on SL due to it's importance.
The sensitivity is because of the fact that Indians are turning their backs to other Indians.

Nobody wants to severe ties, in fact we want even good relations.

Build a port. It's ok. Send some patrol boats over to Indo-Srilankan waters.

That can't be anti-national, can it ?

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sri Lanka is home to a plurality of peoples: Sinhalese, Tamils, Moors, Malays, and Burghers who speak three different mother tongues (Sinhala, Tamil, English) and practise four different religions (Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Christianity). However, far from recognizing this cultural and ethnic heterogeneity in their nation-building and development policies, successive governments have in practice and in constitutional law favoured the majority community denying equality to the other communities.

Exploiting the power of the ballot, the majority community of roughly 70 % Sinhala Buddhists has identified itself with the nation, appropriated the state and used it to its own advantage. Ever since independence in 1948, government policies have systematically violated the social, economic and cultural rights of Tamils: through the disenfranchisement of the Indian Tamils, through state sponsored colonization of the North-East by Sinhalese settlers, frequently accompanied by forceful eviction of Tamils, through a discriminatory language, education and recruitment policy which pursued but one aim: the Sinhalization of the state. Today, more than 90 % of civil servants, and 99 % of the security forces are Sinhalese. The politics of 'positive discrimination' of the Sinhalese appears presently to be transformed into one of long-term exclusion of the Tamils because of proven incapacity. For what reasoning other than to eliminate the formerly superior Tamil competitiveness once and for all, while prolonging, even cementing Sinhala domination well into the next generation, can be adduced to explain the surplus of 14 000 Sinhala as against a shortage of 10 000 Tamil medium teachers, the lack of the most elementary school equipment (over 120 000 desks and chairs in the Vanni alone); a teacher pupil ratio of 70 to 1 in Tamil areas as against 22 to 1 for the rest of the country? The results of this outright violation of rights manifest themselves: in the competitive examinations for the Sri Lanka Accountant and the Administrative Service at most two Tamils were selected each year since the early 1990s!

Successive constitutions have abandoned the earlier minimum provisions for the protection of minorites. The present government's constitutional proposals have been hailed even by members of this Commission as a model for solving ethnic conflicts. But, far from accomodating the minority peoples it reaffirms the unitary state, confirms by flag and religion the majority as the sole representative of the nation; instead of multilingualism, Tamil is reduced to local vernacular; the decentralization of power, finally, leaves nothing more than the authority of a local council to the 'provinces'; and the latter's delimitation in the North and East, which the Tamils claim as their homeland, aims at limiting the territorial basis of the Tamils as far as possible. Neither devolution nor peace-offer, it is an invitation at constitutionally legitimized submission!

The Tamils have first sought to redress the long-standing systemic violation of social, economic and cultural rights by peaceful means. However, promises made by primeministers were broken, increasingly bloodier pogroms, occasionally with offical connivance, were carried out against the Tamils. Thus, having exhausted all peaceful means and fearing for their survival as a people, arms were taken up in the aftermath of the pogrom of 1983.

The former Secretary General of the UN, Mr.Boutros Boutros Ghali prognosticated a doubling of UN members within the next decades, a development which can only come about through a fragmentation of existing states. The international community has confined the right to self-determination to peoples struggling against 'salt water colonialism'. However, by sanctifying the sovereignty and territorial integrity of existing states, it has effectively given carte blanche to repressive governments vis-à-vis minority peoples. It is this internal colonialism, not an ethnic war which is but its result, which poses the greatest threat to the unity and territorial integrity of states. The demand for the respect of Human Rights in general, of minority rights in particular is no remedy against state sponsored discrimination since these are essentially individual, not collective rights. As Sri Lanka exemplifies, it is this violation of social, economic and cultural rights, this institutionalized denial of a collective identity that leads the oppressed to eventually resort to arms in their defense, if necessary by way of external self-determination.

In conclusion, the Society for Threatened Peoples asks:

How long will the UN Commission for Human Rights continue to listen to the reports of its own Special Rapporteurs and of NGOs concerning massive human rights violations in Sri Lanka as it has been doing for over a dozen years without addressing its primary causes?
Would it not be in the interest of prevention of further such violations if the Commission would concern itself with the provisions for decentralisation and group rights in the proposed new constitution?
If this Commission is to evolve human rights law, contribute to prevent internal war, and reduce the threat of fragmentation of states, it will have to reconsider the content and applicability of the right to self-determination. To focus on state-sponsored violation of social, economic and cultural rights as potential underlying causes of conflict, adopt the viewpoint of the discriminated minorities would advance such endeavour.

Discrimination of Tamils in Sri Lanka
Could this be the cause of disenchantment of the Tamils of SL, which has its effect in Tamilnadu?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
If you want Sri Lanka then you'll lose TN. Decide what is more important.
Don't blame everything on us.
You decide which is more important. Indian interests of those of people in Sri Lanka who you are so concerned about. I bother about my countrymen not otheres. Today if Indian Tamils are getting killed by the SL navy, its because of the support they gave to SL Tamils.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I always felt bad about the 2002 riots. But now I would say that it is an exaggeration.The pseudo-seculars are also known for playing politics, I wonder what is the truth?
I wish Modi becomes PM in 2014.Atleast he voiced support for Tamil fishermen in the past. I do not mind what Bajrang dal or VHP do.If a repeat of 2002 happens give me proof from a "neutral source" for Independent verification.
One i would not wish, two, india has enough independent mechanisms.

And that you bring up that issue and not any other because of me being a muslim is inflamatory.

Param

You decide which is more important. Indian interests of those of people in Sri Lanka who you are so concerned about. I bother about my countrymen not otheres. Today if Indian Tamils are getting killed by the SL navy, its because of the support they gave to SL Tamils.
Indian interests were sent to the sacrificial alter a long time ago by geniuses in the Bureaucracy. They destroyed the only real leverage that India had with respect to SL. And now the fools are whining that SL listens more to China. They've given SL that choice. I'm posting this link once again_ Delhi's Indo-Sri Lankan policies in a disastrous log jam of its own creation. | GroundReport"]

Really? Being a MoD you should know better who armed trained and financed the LTTE and other groups. It is ridiculous to blame TN fishermen. But I know I am being naive by expecting you to acknowledge that.

Btw I too am concerned about my countrymen. I am concerned about my countrymen who get blown up to bits by Paki terrorists who have sympathy and support among people of one particular religion.
So I would also say that they get massacred in riots and pogroms because of their own mistakes.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I think the Sri Lankans are petrified of the Tamil people and hence do not want to take any chance of such chaps anywhere near their waters.

Param

I think the Sri Lankans are petrified of the Tamil people and hence do not want to take any chance of such chaps anywhere near their waters.
Petrified? They Massacred 20,000. raped and sexually humiliated those captured and and videographed that without fear. The Channel 4 video was kind of trophy footage that was deliberately leaked. Unfortunately for them it only created international outrage.
Do you really think they are scared?

If anything they are belligerent. They believe that no one is going to come to the rescue of Tamils on both sides of the straits. That's the reason they act with impunity.
There are many Sinhalese who want to transfer the Tamil issue to TN. Therefore they've adopted the method of attacking TN fishermen, since they know GoI won't do anything. If GoI tried to do anything concrete they'll invite the Chinese.
Ultimately GoI doesn't have choice with respect to SL today because of its own policy.

Falcon

This is known news. India rejected thanks to Tamil sentiments of not to look like helping Sinhalese. coalition government screwed. Y regional parties.
I know of SLs who prefer India to China but were cold shouldered by India.. All thanks to the Tamil issue. So don't cry for the stupidity of the govt but the fallacy in the mindset of the regional party.
But again, the same government helped Sri Lanka in eliminating Tamil tigers from their land. GOI rebuilt their airfields and provided weapons to the fullest extent.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Really? Being a MoD you should know better who armed trained and financed the LTTE and other groups. It is ridiculous to blame TN fishermen. But I know I am being naive by expecting you to acknowledge that.

This part of the post intrigues me.

Could you amplify as to why it would be naive on your part to expect Yusuf to acknowledge or not?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Btw I too am concerned about my countrymen. I am concerned about my countrymen who get blown up to bits by Paki terrorists who have sympathy and support among people of one particular religion.
So I would also say that they get massacred in riots and pogroms because of their own mistakes.

Be careful son about this allegation. And be careful about what you post.

Param

I am not your 'son' mister. So please don't use that word again.

And before warning me, take a look at what you posted.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
That you are posting in favor of SL Tamils is proof. Show me an Indian muslim being pro Pak. Don't lose it.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Okay, if you care about Tamil sentiments do something about the fishermen the Lankans are killing rather than fuck up strategic oppurtunities.
They should arrest every one of those Indian boats fishing in their waters. If they don't heed the warning shot, sink it.

Param

That you are posting in favor of SL Tamils is proof. Show me an Indian muslim being pro Pak. Don't lose it.
I am posting in favour of all Tamils and India. The Sinhalese victory in SL was blow to India's influence and power in SL.We were in a position of strength earlier, now the lankans have nothing to fear from us.

As for your second statement, I do not know whether to laugh or cry.One can awake someone who is asleep but not someone who pretends to be asleep.

But unlike others I do not generalise everybody. There are patriotic people in all religions. Like they say All ####### are not terrorists.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Are you an idiot? You are advocating state sponsored terror by means of supporting an organization like LTTE to retain influence. Something that we fight day and night against Pakis.

We don't need terror to exercise influence over SL.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Param,

I think it is time you collect your faculties around you.

This forum does not encourage any abuse based on religion or perceptions thereof.

Let us have a pleasant atmosphere.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Closed.......................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles