India rejected, so China built SL ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Whatever be the reason....if Indian tamils are wrong only the SC of India has a goddamn right to punish us...not some puny islanders in their rust buckets....

Its primarily a question of protecting/saving the lives of your citizens..what they did comes later..much like the US..if any of their citizen is convicted aabroad they do everything in their power to re-patriate him..that they try him for his crime is another matter..
The killing of fishermen is altogether a different issue. Like is said, it has to stop and also the reasons for the killing be ascertained. Unless we dont know that, we cannot comment on it. No one just kills like that. Like i said the reason can be old bickering between Sinhalese and Tamils, or it could be that the India fishermen were up to some hanky panky business. Sitting in front of a computer we dont know what happened there. What India can do is step up coast guard presence there.

But on topic, there was no other reason for India to NOT make the port other than pressure from Tamil parties.

KS

Bye bye DFI
You can live in your make belief world. Chinese stepped up arms supply and pakis too once india refused. That after the regional parties came in. Do you think an IPKF would have landed in SL if the Tamil parties were in coalition in the center?
I'm living in my make-believe world..? I gave you the chronology of events and still you are not ready to believe..? The Indian arms supply was always there..it was just the number of civilians to be killed there needed more weapons than that could be produced here...

My god Yusuf...Tamil parties ARE in colaition right from 1999 to present...especially UPA I was the strongest in terms of regional party influence...

No shit was given to any of our sentiment....fine past is past...they decided to take blood on their hands..atleast should they not have reaped the benefits for that..? this is the even more foolish thing..rejecting the ports..

Tell me what other reason India had to refuse to build the port in SL?
How about simple procedural (bureaucratic) delays that made SL go to China which had no such problems..I heard a road corridor project in Myanmar spent 15 years in 'consideration'..could it be one such ?

KS

Bye bye DFI
Because our domestic demand was too high and exporting would cause price rise..? In TN at that time the cement bags were selling at ecord highs and so the GoI had banned any export of cement..

You want explanation for everything..?

Please be clear none of these decisions had any base in "respecting someone's sentiment" as if that was the case there was far better ways of showing it..

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
India can send a message through better patrolling to Sri Lanka, this far and no further!

Galaxy

Country flag
I think India didn't refused. It was just delay due to government machinery. SL was always more interested with China, So they got opportunity and took decision in favour of China. Also may be proposal was not good for India compare with what was given to China. In Short, I am not sure but I think SL wanted India to reject so that she can go with China.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Because our domestic demand was too high and exporting would cause price rise..? In TN at that time the cement bags were selling at ecord highs and so the GoI had banned any export of cement..

Please be clear none of these decisions had any base in "respecting someone's sentiment" as if that was the case there was far better ways of showing it..
What comes first? National interests or price of cement? What did the SLs want? billions of tons of cement? Pakis supplied it. It would not have had an adverse impact on cement prices in India.

Were not the steel prices too high too? Dont remember India sanctioning that to China till the whole iron ore scam came around.

KS

Bye bye DFI
The killing of fishermen is altogether a different issue. Like is said, it has to stop and also the reasons for the killing be ascertained. Unless we dont know that, we cannot comment on it. No one just kills like that. Like i said the reason can be old bickering between Sinhalese and Tamils, or it could be that the India fishermen were up to some hanky panky business. Sitting in front of a computer we dont know what happened there. What India can do is step up coast guard presence there.
Its not may be..It is the reason..they just want to show who is the boss there..

But then they can be shown their place only when the slumbering Govt wakes up and does something concrete rather than that dumazz Krishna saying "I will take it up with them"..Take it up his ***...

But on topic, there was no other reason for India to NOT make the port other than pressure from Tamil parties.
As I had previoulsy explained,,if it was the concern for Tamil sentiment..the Lankan war would not have ended the way it ended and the SL leadership will not be walking freely without getting named in UN War crimes where it was India that shielded those murderers.

So stop saying that..its like an insult to our collective intelligence..

KS

Bye bye DFI
What comes first? National interests or price of cement? What did the SLs want? billions of tons of cement? Pakis supplied it. It would not have had an adverse impact on cement prices in India.

Were not the steel prices too high too? Dont remember India sanctioning that to China till the whole iron ore scam came around.
You dont get it..do you..?

You supply cement to SL@subsidised rates and the Indian citizens buy cement (sourced through imports) at exhorbitant prices ? Does it make any economic sense or just plain common sense to you ?

It was a Govt policy expressely banning exports of cement...nothing more ..nothing less..

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Tamil Nadu Government perpetuate poaching in Sri Lankan waters | Asian Tribune
By K.T.Rajasingham

Colombo, 25 September, (Asiantribune.com):

Tamil fishermen and Jaffna fishing associations alleged that Indian Consulate General Office in Jaffna, Tamil Nadu Government and Chief Minister J.Jayalalitha are solely responsible for perpetuating the crime of poaching and encouraging Tamil Nadu fishermen to stray into the Sri Lankan waters to fish illegally, compromising the maintenance of law and order in the state.
It was further alleged that Tamil Nadu Chief Minister has failed to implement law and order by purposely failing to take action against those returnee fishermen who crossed the India's Maritime Boundary Line into Sri Lankan territorial waters.
Reports revealed that some fishermen who were in custody had told the Point Pedro Magistrate sometime ago that Tamil Nadu authorities had told them to go ahead with fishing in Sri Lankan waters.
Asian Tribune contacted S. Thavaratnam, President of the Jaffna District Fishermen Cooperative Union Federation and Anthonipillai Emiliampillai, President of the Vadamaradchchy North Fishermen Cooperative Union and both confirmed that Tamil Nadu fishermen who were arrested within the Sri Lankan territorial waters are usually produced in courts in Sri Lanka. According to them, Indian Government used to bring pressure on the Sri Lanka government for the release of those arrested poachers.
They further revealed those Indian fishermen who were usually produced before courts in Sri Lanka are subsequently allowed to leave back to India without undergoing prison sentences- verdicts of the courts.
Those Tamil Nadu fisherman, who arrives in Rameswaram or in any other ports in India, normally meets the media personnel and makes anti-Sri Lankan statements. Subsequently they are allowed to go scot-free.
Unfortunately, Tamil Nadu Government has never considered so far to file any legal action against those fishermen who have crossed the International Maritime Boundary Line, a serious violation, but continuously ignored and compromised those serious challenges thrown at the law and order of the country.
In the meantime, latest reports reveal that Indian Consul General in Jaffna, V. Mahalingam used to interfering with the affairs of Sri Lankan Tamil Fishermen.
Anthonipillai Emiliampillai, President of the Vadamaradchchy North Fishermen Cooperative Union when contacted said that when the 18 Indian fishermen were arrested and brought to Point Pedro, Indian Consul General in Jaffna, V. Mahalingham brought those fishermen to the base hospital in Manthikai, Point Pedro, to check whether they were either manhandled or mistreated by the Sri Lankan Tamil fishermen who arrested them for poaching inside the Sri Lankan waters.
It was alleged that it was unbecoming of a diplomat to function like a tour guide.
When Indian fishermen were arrested in the Sri Lankan waters and produced before the courts in the Jaffna Peninsula, he used to telephone Fishermen Association presidents and request them to be witness in favor of the Indian Fishermen who trespassed into the Sri Lankan waters.
It was alleged that Indian Consulate General requested them to tell the Courts that those 18 fishermen were not guilty. When Emiliampillai and others refused, Indian Consul General requested them to come to his Consulate Office for discussion, which was immediately rejected. He was told that he should publicly speak with Sri Lankan Tamil fishermen and canvass their support.
It was further reported that Indian Counsel General had also raised the issue with the Point Pedro Magistrate Mrs. Sirinidhi Nandasekeran and sought an early release of the fishermen and their boats, sources said, adding that in spite of Indian pressure, the Magistrate had remanded the fishermen to judicial custody.
India set up a Consulate in Jaffna on Nov. 27, 2010. When Asian Tribune searched for the profile of the Indian Counsel General V. Mahalingham in the public domains and also in the official website of the Indian High Commission in Sri Lanka, it was not posted.
Asian Tribune also learnt that Mahalingham last held position in an Indian Passport Office in Tamil Nadu, hence Asian Tribune has already emailed to Mahalingham for his official profile detail to confirm whether he is a career diplomat, but hasn't received any response up to the time of posting this news item.

KS

Bye bye DFI

Buddy ...Thavaratnam prick is a sellout and is in collusion with the Rajapaksa Govt in return for political power just like Col.Karuna....I guess you may not know it as these stuff never make it to the national media...

Even this week..if I was not mistaken there were three attacks on our people.

And all this hoopla about IMBL is un-necessary as the Lankans include Katchatheevu inside their boundary even though through the treaty of 1974 Tamil fishermen were allowed to fish there...Indeed the transfer of atchatheevu in itself is an illegal,unilateral move by Indira Gandhi without consulting the Parliament and a case is going on regarding that in SC..

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

Hmm just checked on export ban on cement. Temporary ban during 2008 for very few months but still exports allowed from Gujarat ports. Govt eases ban on cement export dont know if the cement sales to SL coincided at that time or not, but i am sure the GoI would have rather sell the cement to SL than let the Pakis make money from it. See the reason why Gujarat ports were allowed to export cement. They were all EOUs. http://www.cementchina.net/news/shownews.asp?id=3866

Sikh_warrior

Professional
sometimes i just cant stop admiring Chinese who go for their higher national interests as a nation instead of indulging in petty regional politics like we indians do....for votes and vote banks!

for our indian regional and political parties saving a govt is more important than higher national interests!

Phenom

^^
You mean like how the Sikh parties and Siks groups forced the PM to take up the turban ban issue with the French president, even though it was very clear that interfering in French internal affairs annoyed the Sarkozy.

Param

sometimes i just cant stop admiring Chinese who go for their higher national interests as a nation instead of indulging in petty regional politics like we indians do....for votes and vote banks!

for our indian regional and political parties saving a govt is more important than higher national interests!
The composition of India is very different from China.No comparison with China.
There is a thread going on about whether India is a nation or Idea.

Param

Spiez, we have members here from TN and also in the political circus who advocate cutting all ties with SL. So lets not kid ourselves here. SL was lost to china because of Tamil politicians.
If you want Sri Lanka then you'll lose TN. Decide what is more important.
Don't blame everything on us.

The Wannabe Sooper power cannot threaten a 2 cent Island nation from getting too close to the Chinese and people instead blame a state.If India was not able to build the port we should have made it clear to them that neither will we allow them to give the project to China. All we had to do was swallow some ego and allowed the Tigers to the job.

Poseidon

Country flag
I understand the sensitivity of TN members to SL issue,but I don't know why we should cut our ties with one of our imp neighbors for some people who are not even our citizens.Even US is not putting much pressure on SL due to it's importance.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Spiez, we have members here from TN and also in the political circus who advocate cutting all ties with SL. So lets not kid ourselves here. SL was lost to china because of Tamil politicians.
Saar, you should have read some Tamil papers, good ideas did come out of few Tamil politicians. The smaller parties are the one's which made this hue and cry about cutting ties. You must have read more of Vidhuthalai Siruthaigal.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Okay, is the Sinhalese-Tamil hatred only due to the stuff that happened post independence, or is it older ?

Param

Coming from the Tamil politicians, sometimes i wonder what is the truth as the Tamil politicians are well known for playing up things. The fishermen issue needs independent verification as to what really happens there. SL is denying it does that. Tamil politicians say SL does that. We need our coast guard to protect our waters and also make sure Indian fishermen dont cross over into SL waters.
I always felt bad about the 2002 riots. But now I would say that it is an exaggeration.The pseudo-seculars are also known for playing politics, I wonder what is the truth?
I wish Modi becomes PM in 2014.Atleast he voiced support for Tamil fishermen in the past. I do not mind what Bajrang dal or VHP do.If a repeat of 2002 happens give me proof from a "neutral source" for Independent verification.

The coast guard? You can keep your coast guard in the service of the Central govt.
Are fishermen dead with bullet Injuries not proof enough for you? Are dozens of fishermen injured greiviously after being attacked by SL navy and Sinhalese fishermen not proof enough for you?
Even if they do cross over why do they get fired upon or beaten up? Even Pakis do not do that fishermen from Gujarat.

A couple of years ago there was an incident when SL fishermen kidnapped 2 coast guard personnel, have you forgotten that?
Sri Lanka : Indian coastguard abducted by Sri Lankan fisherman rescued

SPIEZ

Country flag
Coming from the Tamil politicians, sometimes i wonder what is the truth as the Tamil politicians are well known for playing up things. The fishermen issue needs independent verification as to what really happens there. SL is denying it does that. Tamil politicians say SL does that. We need our coast guard to protect our waters and also make sure Indian fishermen dont cross over into SL waters.
What profit do they get by saying put more Coast gaurd or Navy ships or whatever there ? Obviously a criminal will not accept his mistake.(I meant as example alone, not pointing to anyone as criminals)

There may be killings but then we also dont know the reasons for it. Though killing is not the right way to go about it when warnings should be enough for any encroachment. But then, years of bickering between Sinhalese and Sri Lankan Tamils and the support of Indian Tamils to the SL Tamils may be the reason why they are just killing the fishermen instead of warning in the event of them crossing into SL waters.
What justification are they going to give ? Are they going to say that Fisher folk posed a threat to Sri-Lankan Naval Patrol vessels with anti-ship missiles or explosives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles