India ranks below China, Pak in global hunger index

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
What is the annual agricultural output of India?

As far as i know, India has even more fertile farmland than China and has a self-sufficient agricultural industry. Indian people shoud be able to feed them well.

Maybe there are some problems in the food distribution system.
absolutely ! - and look at all the grain rotting and rats are eating it but the authorities wont distribute it to the peole ...but CWG is ovrbudget - no probs with that

SHASH2K2

yathraj -ji some of these folks need it spelt out for them ...India is ranked 112, pak is at 122 and china-dragon is far below at 144 .
This is a propaganda by american led alliance to bring bad name and reputation to Chinese people. We have world class Medical facilities even in our remotest of areas. WE will not accept this report. ITS FAKE and source cannot be verified.

LOL man Even Pakistan is ahead. :emot15::emot15:

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
yathraj -ji some of these folks need it spelt out for them ...India is ranked 112, pak is at 122 and china-dragon is far below at 144 .
Sorry, but I have a heard time believing that report. A very hard time.

According to the report, Russia's "health system" is ranked 130th and Pakistan is ranked 122nd. Since when did Pakistan's "health system" surpass that of a developed country like Russia? I call BS.

pmaitra

I just want to ask some questions to the thread poster.
Sir, you posted just the results of the survey, research and all. But I just want to know that what were the basis of of that survey and researches. How many places and villages were considered for this. Because as a common citizen of India and also being aware of the situation of current conditions in India I`m sure that these results are far inaccurate than the reality.
Well said. In fact, this report only talks about the results, not quite about their research. Hence, one cannot tell how reliable this research is. Sampling is a vital aspect of Monte-Carlo methods and any statistical research without some comprehensive tests are simply not to be accepted. This is the very fundamental of statistics. One may read up some books on statistics to verify what I am saying.

And please do answer my question IF YOU CAN.
I doubt if the poster can at all answer your question. I have already requested the poster to respond.

pmaitra

According to the report, Russia's "health system" is ranked 130th and Pakistan is ranked 122nd. Since when did Pakistan's "health system" surpass that of a developed country like Russia? I call BS.
Although you are correct in rejecting this report that stated Pakistan ranks higher than Russia in 'health systems', I would like to point out that Russia isn't a first world country. Let me tell you what they typically mean:
  • First World: Developed West-European and North American countries (minus Mexico).
  • Second World: Erstwhile USSR and now Russia, former Soviet republics, Eastern European/Warsaw Pact/Eastern Bloc countries.
  • Third World: Former colonies of European powers, especially South Asia, all of Africa, most (probably all) of South America.

N.B.: Russia is a superpower no doubt, especially now that it has withstood and largely overcome the earlier doldrums of the disintegration of the USSR and the initial economic harships, but it is not quite as developed as the First World countries. China recently moved up from Third World to Second World.

Last edited:

badguy2000

Respected Member

1. Russia is not a developed country. at least, nobody in CHina acknowledges Russia is a developed country,althought Soviet once was a developed country.

2.Russia's health system is indeed a piece of $hit. Russia's life expectancy is less than 60...which is shorter than many developing countries

pmaitra

1. Russia is not a developed country. at least, nobody in CHina acknowledges Russia is a developed country,althought Soviet once was a developed country.
I'd agree that Russia is not as developed as the West and of course I think the Chinese are quite correct in their assessment. However, what exactly did you mean by "althought Soviet once was a developed country". How come they were developed earlier and are not now? That simply does not make sense. Russia definitely has better infrastructure, communication and businesses than earlier, although the opportunities to better quality of life is probably limited to a few rich; but wasn't it the same earlier too with opportunities limited to the influential ones?
2.Russia's health system is indeed a piece of $hit. Russia's life expectancy is less than 60...which is shorter than many developing countries
Life expectancy is bad because of (1) road accidents, (2) alcoholism, (3) civil wars and (4) insurgencies. It is true what you say about life expectancy. However, why blame the health systems for that? How is the health system responsible if people keep having wars or keep drinking alcohol? The health system might still be world class despite the life expectancy. I am sure it's better than Pakistan. What do you say?

Last edited:

badguy2000

Respected Member
Although you are correct in rejecting this report that stated Pakistan ranks higher than Russia in 'health systems', I would like to point out that Russia isn't a first world country. Let me tell you what they typically mean:
  • First World: Developed West-European and North American countries (minus Mexico).
  • Second World: Erstwhile USSR and now Russia, former Soviet republics, Eastern European/Warsaw Pact/Eastern Bloc countries.
  • Third World: Former colonies of European powers, especially South Asia, all of Africa, most (probably all) of South America.

N.B.: Russia is a superpower no doubt, especially now that it has withstood and largely overcome the earlier doldrums of the disintegration of the USSR and the initial economic harships, but it is not quite as developed as the First World countries. China recently moved up from Third World to Second World.
1. Russia is not "superpower" any more. At least ,most people outside India don't think so,althougt Soviet once was.

2.China always insists that CHina be a third world country.

Even if CHina's per capital GDP is equal to Yankee's , CHina would still insist that China be a third world country.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador

I am aware of the differences between First, Second, and Third World countries. However, even though Russia may not be as developed as the US and Western Europe, it is still a developed country. If we use HDI (which is probably the best criterion) for determining "developed" and "developing" countries, all countries with a HDI of above 0.800 on this map should be considered "developed".

First of all, Russia's average life expectancy is 68 years... I don't know which CCP organ told you it was below 60.

Second of all, calling Russia's health system shit is highly ignorant, especially coming from a Chinese. Russia has one of the highest numbers of physicians and hospital beds per capita in the world. The reason for the life expectancy of Russian males (the women live as long as in Western countries) is due to social problems like alcoholism, not inadequate health care.

The day China builds a world-class health system, lifts the 28% of Chinese who still live in slums out of poverty, and increases its per capita income to at first world levels, you can call Russia's health system shit. Until then, keep on wearing those masks in Beijing, I wouldn't want to breathe that air...

pmaitra

1. Russia is not "superpower" any more. At least ,most people outside India don't think so,althougt Soviet once was.
IMHO, Russia is not as powerful or influential as the USSR was, but it still is a superpower, if you only talk about power, regardless of being quite behind the West in development. Although not as big a threat to the US as the USSR was, it can still beat up US allies pretty badly if it wants (example Mikhail Saakashvili) with the US not being able to do anything whatsoever.

Even if CHina's per capital GDP is equal to Yankee's , CHina would still insist that China be a third world country.
Probably. We don't know the reality in China, however, given the economic figures, GDP, GNP, PCI and PPP, China sure fits the bill for the Second World.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
IMHO, Russia is not as powerful or influential as the USSR was, but it still is a superpower, if you only talk about power, regardless of being quite behind the West in development. Although not as big a threat to the US as the USSR was, it can still beat up US allies pretty badly if it wants (example Mikhail Saakashvili) with the US not being able to do anything whatsoever.
Russia is no longer a military or industrial superpower, but it is still an energy superpower. Sometimes, a barrel of Siberian oil can be a more effective weapon than a Su-30.

Agantrope

People here are totally mistook the concept of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd world countries.

1st -> Democractic, Capitalistic
2nd -> Commie Land
3rd -> Which doesnt fall under first 1 groups, simply NAM

pmaitra

If we use HDI (which is probably the best criterion) for determining "developed" and "developing" countries, all countries with a HDI of above 0.800 on this map should be considered "developed".

South America and Central America, although in green, are not considered First or Second world as far as I know. In fact, these terms do not have any statistical threshold. They are rather general terms. So HDI doesn't have a direct correlation with the 3 Worlds nomenclature.

pmaitra

Russia is no longer a military or industrial superpower, but it is still an energy superpower. Sometimes, a barrel of Siberian oil can be a more effective weapon than a Su-30.
On the contrary, Russia is indeed a military superpower. It is the second largest arms exporter and has the worlds largest N-arsenal.

Industrially, well, maybe not as much as the West, but definitely they are a power to reckon with. Till date, the most successful and reliable space travel vehicle is the Soyuz.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
South America and Central America, although in green, are not considered First or Second world as far as I know. In fact, these terms do not have any statistical threshold. They are rather general terms. So HDI doesn't have a direct correlation with the 3 Worlds nomenclature.
Have you ever been to South America? I have had the lucky opportunity to travel to Buenos Aires, Argentina, as well as to meet some of my distant relatives in Trinidad and Tobago.

If those countries are not at least considered "second world" or "developed", I don't which countries are.

pmaitra

People here are totally mistook the concept of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd world countries.

1st -> Democractic, Capitalistic
2nd -> Commie Land
3rd -> Which doesnt fall under first 1 groups, simply NAM
Sir, I beg to differ.

IMHO, that isn't exactly the correct portrayal of the 3 worlds. For example, Yugoslavia, though communist, was non-aligned. Bangladesh has had democratic governments with capitalist economy, yet, does that make it a First World country? Portugal was under military rule for a long time, yet it is First World. As i said, there are no statistical delimitation for the 3 Worlds. It's a rather subjective classification.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
On the contrary, Russia is indeed a military superpower. It is the second largest arms exporter and has the worlds largest N-arsenal.

Industrially, well, maybe not as much as the West, but definitely they are a power to reckon with. Till date, the most successful and reliable space travel vehicle is the Soyuz.
I'm sure you know that the most important aspect of being a "military superpower" is power projection. Even though Russia still has (IMO) the 2nd best military in the world, and is more than capable of trampling any enemy on the Eurasian landmass (they put a good show in Georgia, as a reminder of this fact) , its projection power capability is woefully subpar.

If there is a crisis in some distant Third World country, and American interests are involved, you can expect a U.S. carrier group to show up and scare everyone away. Russia has nothing to match the power projection capability of the U.S.

pmaitra

Have you ever been to South America? I have had the lucky opportunity to travel to Buenos Aires, Argentina, as well as to meet some of my distant relatives in Trinidad and Tobago.

If those countries are not at least considered "second world" or "developed", I don't which countries are.
I haven't travelled to Buenos Aires but then you can see the same development in many Indian cities. Prima Facie evidence is influential in forming opinions, but facts are often quite different. But then, I am not sure where Argentina falls as I said most or probably all of South America because I am not 100% sure myself.

badguy2000

Respected Member
I'd agree that Russia is not as developed as the West and of course I think the Chinese are quite correct in their assessment. However, what exactly did you mean by "althought Soviet once was a developed country". How come they were developed earlier and are not now? That simply does not make sense. Russia definitely has better infrastructure, communication and businesses than earlier, although the opportunities to better quality of life is probably limited to a few rich; but wasn't it the same earlier too with opportunities limited to the influential ones?
Different criterions of "developed countries" are fit for different of ages.
It is not strange at all that old-time "developed countries" fall to "developing countries".
For example, India was a "developed country" in Mid-age too, but it fell into developing country after industrializaiton revolution.

Argentina was once global second richest country when WW II ended in 1945,but now it also has fallen to be a developing country.
Soviet once was a developed country,but Russia is not.

Life expectancy is bad because of (1) road accidents, (2) alcoholism, (3) civil wars and (4) insurgencies. It is true what you say about life expectancy. However, why blame the health systems for that? How is the health system responsible if people keep having wars or keep drinking alcohol? The health system might still be world class despite the life expectancy. I am sure it's better than Pakistan. What do you say?
How can you expain that Russia's life exectacy is even shorter than Soivet's? Did't Russian drink Alcohol too?
more reasonable explaination is that Russia health sytem is poorer than Soviet's.

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I haven't travelled to Buenos Aires but then you can see the same development in many Indian cities. Prima Facie evidence is influential in forming opinions, but facts are often quite different. But then, I am not sure where Argentina falls as I said most or probably all of South America because I am not 100% sure myself.
Actually, from my limited travels in South America I was surprised by the similarities to India. Economic inequality, which usually accompanies rapid economic growth, was vast, and growing. People in major South American cities like Buenos Aires, Caracas, Rio de Janeiro, etc. can live lifestyles that rival the West. At the same time, people in the countryside can live in destitute poverty.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles