India S-400 Acquisition - News Updates and Discussions

sthf

Country flag
So 12 regiments will have 24 battalions and each battalion has a separate radar and firing units.

Interesting.12 regiments should cover most of India.
I think each battalion has 2 battery level radar. 12 systems be it battalion or regiment are overkill and incredibly expensive.

Let's see how things unfold.

AmoghaVarsha

Country flag
I think each battalion has 2 battery level radar. 12 systems be it battalion or regiment are overkill and incredibly expensive.

Let's see how things unfold.
Dont think its a overkill if the plan is to secure both the western and eastern fronts.

sthf

Country flag
Dont think its a overkill if the plan is to secure both the western and eastern fronts.
Not really man. Parrikar was of the opinion that big ticket system like S400 should eliminate the need for other systems like MRSAM or LRSAM.

I disagree, India needs more of the above and only a few S400 systems to act as an umbrella system.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Not really man. Parrikar was of the opinion that big ticket system like S400 should eliminate the need for other systems like MRSAM or LRSAM.

I disagree, India needs more of the above and only a few S400 systems to act as an umbrella system.
When did Parrikar say this?

AmoghaVarsha

Country flag

The point is to have layered system.Thats how you get a layered defence.One system doesnt take out the necessity of the other.

Spyder-Aakash-Barak-(LRSAM David's Sling?)-S 400-AAD/PAD

That is a layered air defence.

sbm

Country flag
That launcher is a P-15/P-20 system used by a Mobile Coast Missile Battery. It isn't the S-300. If anyone has any evidence of S-300 procurement by India, nobody would be more delighted than I. I've seen the ST-68U systems which have had a link to the S-300 but no sign of the S-300.

pmaitra

Thala... i had saved this pic a long time ago. Looks like a screen grab from one of the early video cameras....

View attachment 16702

I'll try to find the URL and edit this post

Presumably the S300 being transported. Undated and unverified screen grab. I do think we already operate the s300... I'll let the readers draw their own conclusion.
This is not the S-300. This is a picture of the Indian Navy's 4K51 Rubezh complex (that fires the P-15 Termit or SS-N-2 Styx missile) mounted on a MAZ-543 TEL, and this picture was taken on Marine Drive, Mumbai,

Krusty

Country flag
This is not S300. Thats probably a p-15 Styx employed for coastal defence in Mumbai
That launcher is a P-15/P-20 system used by a Mobile Coast Missile Battery. It isn't the S-300. If anyone has any evidence of S-300 procurement by India, nobody would be more delighted than I. I've seen the ST-68U systems which have had a link to the S-300 but no sign of the S-300.
This is not the S-300. This is a picture of the Indian Navy's 4K51 Rubezh complex (that fires the P-15 Termit or SS-N-2 Styx missile) mounted on a MAZ-543 TEL, and this picture was taken on Marine Drive, Mumbai,
Thank you for the clarification. Ofcourse it didn't look like the launcher but I was under the impression it's one of the auxiliary vehicles(this looked like a resupply vehicle?) that forms the s300 system.

IMG_3781.JPG

Maybe someone can ID the vehicle behind the launcher?

FactsPlease

Country flag

pmaitra

Thank you for the clarification. Ofcourse it didn't look like the launcher but I was under the impression it's one of the auxiliary vehicles(this looked like a resupply vehicle?) that forms the s300 system.

View attachment 16708
Maybe someone can ID the vehicle behind the launcher?
That is the S-300 command vehicle. Here is a schematic diagram of the complete S-300 complex.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-22652131

Also, note that all these vehicles have slanted roof edges. This is done to allow for loading these vehicles inside the cargo hold of the Antonov-124.

square

Strategic Issues
every year before the summit , these news planted to add a feel good factor.....

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
12 system sounds unlikely but not impossible. IAF's original plan was to have 12 systems but price was a big issue. So another plan was formed for minimum S-400 and rest domestic option from DRDO. However DRDO is still far away from developing an indigenous system. Also there is new threat emerging for India from sea in form of Chinese ACs. So, I won't be surprised if various voices are again chatting for 12 systems. How much of that is materialises is yet to be seen.

pmaitra

I was reading about S-300 in this blog. How reliable is this blog? This blog does not shed any light to the mystery of the Indian S-300. There are plenty of spelling and punctuation horrors too.

I suppose this is being kept a secret? We can only hope.

Krusty

Country flag
I was reading about S-300 in this blog. How reliable is this blog? This blog does not shed any light to the mystery of the Indian S-300. There are plenty of spelling and punctuation horrors too.

I suppose this is being kept a secret? We can only hope.
Incidentally this blog was the URL from which I got the image I uploaded :)

pmaitra

Incidentally this blog was the URL from which I got the image I uploaded :)
Yes, I saw that. With due respect to the blogger, I say it is just a lot of speculation. Obviously, he says that picture is "claimed" to be whatever, but what is the source? It was claimed by whom? That is the question. :)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles