India on Way to Topping US in Internet Users

Country flag
India on Way to Topping US in Internet Users | Special English | Learning English

This is the VOA Special English Technology Report.
India could pass the United States in the number of Internet users in less than two years. A new report says India reached one hundred twelve million users in September. That makes India the third largest Internet market after China and the United States.
China reported four hundred eighty-five million Internet users in June, and there are more than two hundred seventy million Internet users in the United States.
Have an e-reader? Download this story as a PDF
The Internet and Mobile Association of India says Internet growth was especially strong among people in smaller towns and cities.
There was also a large increase in Internet use among school-aged children and college students. This is partly because of the growing number of e-learning services and educational websites.
Subho Roy is president of the Internet and Mobile Association of India. He says another big change this year is that more and more people are using the Internet from home.
SUBHO ROY: "Last year the old pattern was still there -- cyber cafes being top, then office, and then home. So this dramatic change has come about this year -- a very, very great movement in the home-use segment. People are probably buying their own broadband connections and accessing it from their own devices rather than going to common service points."This growth in Internet use has also led to an increase in online businesses.
Deepinder Goyal owns Zomato.com. His website provides information about restaurants and nightlife activities across India. Mr. Goyal got the idea for Zomato while working at a consulting firm three years ago. He and his coworkers kept restaurant menus in their office so they could order lunch from different places.
DEEPINDER GOYAL: "We scanned these menu cards and put them online. So starting an Internet venture was actually an experiment and it worked out really well and currently we are getting around two million people just looking up menu cards on our website every month." Zomato now provides information on more than seventeen thousand restaurants across India. It covers areas from the Dehli national capital region to Mumbai, Bangalore and Chennai.
Deepinder Goyal says the growth in Internet use at home has been good for business. Zomato used to depend mostly on business people -- or "corporates" -- going online at work.
DEEPINDER GOYAL: "So earlier we used to see that around fifty to sixty percent of our traffic used to spike at lunches on weekdays. That was due to corporates accessing our website when they used to order lunch. And right now, weekends are also very heavy traffic for us."
In a separate report, GSMA, the global trade group for the mobile industry, says Africa is the world's fastest growing mobile phone market. Africa has the second largest number of mobile phone connections after Asia.
And that's the VOA Special English Technology Report, written by June Simms. Transcripts, MP3s and podcasts are at voaspecialenglish.com. I'm June Simms.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
"Last year the old pattern was still there -- cyber cafes being top, then office, and then home..."

I have yet to enjoy the cyber cafe experience.

communismforindia

Tihar Jail
Banned
"Last year the old pattern was still there -- cyber cafes being top, then office, and then home..."

I have yet to enjoy the cyber cafe experience.
cyber cafe are way convinient than houshold computer... add to that the privacy and high tech availability

satish007

cyber cafe are way convinient than houshold computer... add to that the privacy and high tech availability
Looks guys here are pretty young, if you get job, get childs, get more responsibility , can you guys still have time to enjoy cyber cafe?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Indians must be great ones seeking information or wanting to learn more!

And of course, the unbridled rise in the population does help with the numbers.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Satish, true. :lol:

Actually, most people on this forum are working professionals, and almost all of us have personal laptops/PCs at home, and the office computers as well. Only young kids find "cyber cafes" more convenient - mainly due to fear of parents peering over :pound:. And in India, "cyber cafe" is a joke - they usually have a set of 7-8 computers in an insanely small and cramped space. They charge something like 20-30 per hour, and very often the speed is also not really good.

Anyway, I am delighted to hear that home use is picking up in India, leading to increase in online shopping. That is awesome news.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Satish, true. :lol:

Actually, most people on this forum are working professionals, and almost all of us have personal laptops/PCs at home, and the office computers as well. Only young kids find "cyber cafes" more convenient - mainly due to fear of parents peering over :pound:. And in India, "cyber cafe" is a joke - they usually have a set of 7-8 computers in an insanely small and cramped space. They charge something like 20-30 per hour, and very often the speed is also not really good.

Anyway, I am delighted to hear that home use is picking up in India, leading to increase in online shopping. That is awesome news.
Cyber cafes are shit.

I usually don't like spending large amounts of money but buying a PC for my own use was one of the best investments that I've made.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Online shopping is helpful, but using the credit card can open up one to credit card frauds.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Cyber cafes are shit.

I usually don't like spending large amounts of money but buying a PC for my own use was one of the best investments that I've made.
The only time I visit "cyber cafes" is when I need to take huge number of printouts (>30), which will drain up the cartridge of my home printer. Each time I go, I am glad I don't have to go more often. :lol:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Online shopping is helpful, but using the credit card can open up one to credit card frauds.
Lot of people have a fear of online shopping, but I think there is very little cause for worry. I think it is safer than physically swiping the card.

When you go to a restaurant, you give your card to a waiter, who takes it in and returns it a good 5 minutes later. Same thing when you fill fuel, etc. OTOH, with online transactions, with the new "OTP" (one time password) security mechanism, the process is almost 100% foolproof. No one can misuse your card for online transactions unless they steal your card details as well as your registered contact number (mobile phone), and have physical possession of it, in working condition.

This OTP funda has made things so safe now - almost everything I do is online these days - ticket booking, buying books if it catches my fancy, EMI repayment, credit card payment, utility bill payment...everything. Out of my monthly expenditure, almost 95%+ is electronic. :namaste:

Last edited:
Country flag
Once internet is offered thru cable lines to homes as planned soon this number will double.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag
Cyber cafe is for those who don't have PC/Laptop and Internet at home. hardly anyone will go to cafe for surfing if one can do at home. Internet is so easy these days specially in cities. I have PC, Laptop and Mobile all have internet. :rofl:I think no. of Internet connection is more important than Internet user. That will give clear picture. There are few people who only surf 4-5 hours in a month and there are few who are online for most of the time everyday.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles