India Offers Lanka “Tejas” To Counter Pakistan’s JF-17: Report

Illusive

Country flag
Indeed Jf17 is in a class of its own, the aircraft is multirole indeed. After its shot down or disintegrated mid air, the tin material that the aircraft is made of can be recycled to make tin cans to store cat food or even grass.

Neo

Indeed Jf17 is in a class of its own, the aircraft is multirole indeed. After its shot down or disintegrated mid air, the tin material that the aircraft is made of can be recycled to make tin cans to store cat food or even grass.
IAF must be running a lucrative business in India with all those crashes including the Makhi. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BATTLE FIELD

Battle Captain
jf-17 is a failed project for the failed state pakistan:pound:
Funny-Pakistani-Aeroplane-Bus-Coach-Picture.jpg

if pak want to export it, then they have to give the user 30 million for the jet instead.(jet+30mil)

BATTLE FIELD

Battle Captain
IAF must be running a lucrative business in India with all those crashes including the Makhi. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
we have our own jets to crash not like you beggar's need chinis to donated them.:rofl:and they are better than the failed jf-17

Neo

we have our own jets to crash not like you beggar's need chinis to donated them.:rofl:and they are better than the failed jf-17
You're a troll degrading this forum.
Get lost!
Ignored!

myana

It is very good to be optimistic but speaking realistically HAL is occupied till 2018 to deliver 20 IOC2 configuration tejas, post this production rate would be ramped to deliver 16 SOP-18 configuration Tejas anually.

At this rate IAF would be get 20(IOC2)+ 16 + 16 till end of 2020.

If we export Tejas When are we going to deliver them, how are we going to manufacture the planes to be exported, is IAF ready to forgo the deliveries intended to replace decommissioning migs.

BATTLE FIELD

Battle Captain
It is very good to be optimistic but speaking realistically HAL is occupied till 2018 to deliver 20 IOC2 configuration tejas, post this production rate would be ramped to deliver 16 SOP-18 configuration Tejas anually.

At this rate IAF would be get 20(IOC2)+ 16 + 16 till end of 2020.

If we export Tejas When are we going to deliver them, how are we going to manufacture the planes to be exported, is IAF ready to forgo the deliveries intended to replace decommissioning migs.
IAF has orderd 120 mk1+some LSP will be deleverd after 2018

and mk2 2019 onwards to 2022

if SLAF orderd mk1 they will get it along side us within 2018-2026

myana

ok let me make you understand clearly
till date LSP- 8 built delivery plan is
2015 - 1 (ioc2 config)
2016 - 4 (ioc2 config)
2017 - 7 (ioc2 config)
2018 - 8 (ioc2 config) --- during this time sop-18 config aka mk1-A will be ready for production
2019 - 16(sop-18 config aka mk1-A or what ever you call it)
2020 - 16(sop-18 config)
2021 - 16(sop-18 config)
2022 - 16(sop-18 config)
2024 - 16(sop-18 config)
2025 - 16(sop-18 config)
2026 - 4(sop-18 config)+ additional plane if ordered or production of MK2.

BATTLE FIELD

Battle Captain
ok let me make you understand clearly
till date LSP- 8 built delivery plan is
2015 - 1 (ioc2 config)
2016 - 4 (ioc2 config)
2017 - 7 (ioc2 config)
2018 - 8 (ioc2 config) --- during this time sop-18 config aka mk1-A will be ready for production
2019 - 16(sop-18 config aka mk1-A or what ever you call it)
2020 - 16(sop-18 config)
2021 - 16(sop-18 config)
2022 - 16(sop-18 config)
2024 - 16(sop-18 config)
2025 - 16(sop-18 config)
2026 - 4(sop-18 config)+ additional plane if ordered or production of MK2.
okay you r the expert here.
i believe in you. thnks

Bheeshma

Why compare with garbage like JF-17? The Blundaar could have been a half decent gen 3 plane but India put an end to paki effort to get RDY-3. With the outdated chinese radar and missiles it is really no match for Tejas-1, Gripen,-A/B or even the Korean KA-50.

no smoking

Country flag
Sir,

It is certainly a possibility,but fear of failure should not hold us back.If India is confident of tejas as a product,a little effort by HAL would make sure that tejas is a success in Srilanka.We need not sell tejas to them right now,we need to sell them the idea of tejas.
Well, it is obvious IAF desperately need that little effort by HAL to get LCA to meat their FOC.

It will take around two years to train Srilankan pilot and technicians to handle tejas ,by that time tejas will mature into mk1a ,which should be exported.If tejas is a good product a little effort from HAL to overlook its service in Srilanka for few years would make sure it is a success.
Until today, the Tejas in IAF are flying only with test flight pilots and HAL engineers are responsible for the maintenace. In other words, your own ordinary pilot and technicians haven't got trained to handle tejas yet, not to mention foreign force.

Regarding the timing , oppourtunity wait for none ,we should grab it at the moment it comes.If Srilanka is looking for fighter jets and we have one to offer ,then we should make hay while the sun shines!
The problem is your jet, manufacturer, and technicians, none of them are ready to serve their No.1 customer yet. You may miss an opportunity if you don't offer. But you will scare your future customers if you screw up the first foreign client.

Reactions: Neo

ghost

Well, it is obvious IAF desperately need that little effort by HAL to get LCA to meat their FOC.

Until today, the Tejas in IAF are flying only with test flight pilots and HAL engineers are responsible for the maintenace. In other words, your own ordinary pilot and technicians haven't got trained to handle tejas yet, not to mention foreign force.

The problem is your jet, manufacturer, and technicians, none of them are ready to serve their No.1 customer yet. You may miss an opportunity if you don't offer. But you will scare your future customers if you screw up the first foreign client.
Sir,

The Final Operational Clearance (FOC) is expected by the year-end.Once we get FOC it will be operated by Indian air force.Foreign forces can be trained .That's why I have said that no need to sell the jet right now,only need to convince them to the idea of tejas,if they agree then it will take around two years to train them.By 2018 we will develop mk1a ,which should be good enough to serve and by that time most of the glitches will be corrected.I am not saying that we have to sell these jets anyhow ,it's upto gov and Hal to decide , if they are confident of their product or not,based on this they will decide on its export.Though, I will agree that present manufacturing lines cannot meet the demand to export,we will need additional manufacturing lines, if we realistically look toward export.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
Guys I am yet to find a reliable source claiming that FOC has been awarded to JF17.
last memory I have of FOC for JF was way back in 2013 when it was said it cannot be awarded FOC as complete weapons trails have not been done .....

@Neo
Can you share some sources for the same for my reference.

Pulkit

Country flag
Well, it is obvious IAF desperately need that little effort by HAL to get LCA to meat their FOC. .
yes even we are waiting for HAL to own it up and resolve the remaining issues ASAP.. Even in the current state it is a mean machine . Standards and Baseline set by our IAF are too rigid and high which helps in getting the initial product in the best position.

Its our bird we know the in and out of it it will not be a very tedious job. Though a lot of practice will be required to master it but that goes for all
I believe that requirements for IAF are more than enough for Tejas to have a decent production line.

100 ordered and that number can go up to 250 which means even with 2 assembly line there wont be any scope of export for the next decade.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Guys I am yet to find a reliable source claiming that FOC has been awarded to JF17.
last memory I have of FOC for JF was way back in 2013 when it was said it cannot be awarded FOC as complete weapons trails have not been done .....

@Neo
Can you share some sources for the same for my reference.
Now IOC1, IOC2, IOC3, FOC and all others are something which you will not find in case of other forces. There may be just an IOC and another FOC. The thing is, untill and unless you are testing it, its a prototype and designers and producers are responsible for it. Once all the testing is been done, then tweak it to the minimal user configuration to get the Initial Operation Clearance to get a squad or two inducted for user evaluation. Then come the final tweaking and rigorous testing of the whole system for Final Operation Clearance where final changes are made generally in software part for its full and final induction. Any sort of structural changes are dealt with in IOC only when it is not been sent to active duty. When you are purchasing a system from foreign OEM, then there is nothing like IOC or FOC to ask about. You have to take what you are offered and there might be some changes in it as per user requirement. But no one is going to give you a fighter as per your exact requirement. Just like the case of MKI's. It had been delivered only with custom software changes to accommodate our existing weapon system and there was no structural changes to it. Even now, to accommodate Brahmos, we were able to carry out the specific structural changes only after go ahead from Sukhoi.

Now in case of Tejas, three different IOC's are only to delay the induction as per my thinking. No one would go for such extensive trial on a prototype before going for FOC.

Pulkit

Country flag
Now IOC1, IOC2, IOC3, FOC and all others are something which you will not find in case of other forces. There may be just an IOC and another FOC. The thing is, untill and unless you are testing it, its a prototype and designers and producers are responsible for it. Once all the testing is been done, then tweak it to the minimal user configuration to get the Initial Operation Clearance to get a squad or two inducted for user evaluation. Then come the final tweaking and rigorous testing of the whole system for Final Operation Clearance where final changes are made generally in software part for its full and final induction. Any sort of structural changes are dealt with in IOC only when it is not been sent to active duty. When you are purchasing a system from foreign OEM, then there is nothing like IOC or FOC to ask about. You have to take what you are offered and there might be some changes in it as per user requirement. But no one is going to give you a fighter as per your exact requirement. Just like the case of MKI's. It had been delivered only with custom software changes to accommodate our existing weapon system and there was no structural changes to it. Even now, to accommodate Brahmos, we were able to carry out the specific structural changes only after go ahead from Sukhoi.

Now in case of Tejas, three different IOC's are only to delay the induction as per my thinking. No one would go for such extensive trial on a prototype before going for FOC.
Thanks for such a detailed explanation... :)
What I wanted to point out was JF 17 was not even tested and was made part of PAF ....

Chinmoy

Country flag
Thanks for such a detailed explanation... :)
What I wanted to point out was JF 17 was not even tested and was made part of PAF ....
Welcome :).

Like I said, when you are getting a platform from someone else, there is nothing much for you to say about it. Imagine IAF to have asked for IOC1, 2, 3 and FOC in case of Su-30s.

no smoking

Country flag
Sir,

The Final Operational Clearance (FOC) is expected by the year-end.Once we get FOC it will be operated by Indian air force.Foreign forces can be trained .That's why I have said that no need to sell the jet right now,only need to convince them to the idea of tejas,if they agree then it will take around two years to train them.
Even you get FOC by the end of this year, you will need at least 2-3 years to train your own airforce officers and technics. After that, these people instead of HAL's engineers can start to train foreign clients. So, even with your optimistic timetable, these foreigners will have to wait 4-5 years.

By 2018 we will develop mk1a ,which should be good enough to serve and by that time most of the glitches will be corrected.I am not saying that we have to sell these jets anyhow ,it's upto gov and Hal to decide , if they are confident of their product or not,based on this they will decide on its export.Though, I will agree that present manufacturing lines cannot meet the demand to export,we will need additional manufacturing lines, if we realistically look toward export.
There is one thing can be sure: as the first indigenous jet, even after FOC, you will still have endless problems until next generation jet comes out.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles