India not our enemy

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Let me add some more..... It is not only ISI/Army that is responsible but the entire ruling elite class that includes:

Army + Politicians + Religious Extremists + Industrialists + Feudals

It is not un-common an observation that these five class and their interests are inter-wined very tightly. Not only that, they also inter-marry hence over a period of several decades, they have formed a web, an impenetrable network. As long as this web is intact, there will be no peace between India and Pakistan. There will never come prosperity to the common Pakistanis. Now is there a peaceful way of tearing apart this web? I am extremely skeptical. In my opinion, the only solution is a bloody revolution. The poor of Pakistan have to stand up, and destroy this web and its bloody inhabitants who have been sucking their blood for past 62 long years. Who some times make them fool in the name of religion, sometimes in the name of India, and sometimes in the name of rest of the anti-Muslim world.
Those two are the "keeda" of Pakistani elites. If these people are brought into control Nazi style then Pakistan will be a good prosperous nation. Those two groups are responsible in keeping the nation in the dark. The Army acts only through them and the democratic leaders must have the will to bring them down and move on. These people think they can revive the 16th century Muslim Empire but it is not possible now. And they must know this.

qsaark

Well, I wish we had a person like Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel and the political will of controlling these feudals. We never had this, and we never will have. The only hope is a bloody revolution that would come from the bottom level. I hope I will live to see that day, though I am not very optimistic.

bhramos

Country flag
what happen to your Jinnah,
he is also a great person too.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Well, I wish we had a person like Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel and the political will of controlling these feudals. We never had this, and we never will have. The only hope is a bloody revolution that would come from the bottom level. I hope I will live to see that day, though I am not very optimistic.
Never be negative in thoughts....But a bloody revolution is not required. Just an educational revolution is required. Nothing else is there like learning from history. My history books told me that India lost the 1962 war and 1965 ended in a stalemate. If your government does that you can change the mindset of the younger generation which will advance the people to accept facts as they are and move on.

ppgj

The only hope is a bloody revolution that would come from the bottom level. I hope I will live to see that day, though I am not very optimistic.
spot on. it should have started long back though it is never too late. pakistan can still work back into the growth path if the govt and its agencies get out from their mind this bogey of india. by the way it is refreshing to see your posts.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
I honestly did not get your question? Would you please elaborate on this?
He was trying to be cheeky actually, what he meant was did Jinnah not do anything to these feudals etc, act like Sardar??

qsaark

interesting discussion this thread is generating.

Qsaark,

i have always wanted to ask these question but assuming i would not get a honest answer so never bothered to ask this to a Pakistani before, but after having followed your discussions, which come across as candid, so here i go with them.
I will always try to give you as honest answers as possible. But my knowledge is limited, so if something is still missing, you can always add that to my knowledge.

1). you said you have been labeled a gaddar on certain online forums, i will like to understand why do people get into such name calling, is it a part of a bigger propaganda that who ever speaks against a set agenda gets that label and the same gets followed by every one in pakistan. lets take the extreme of the case of indian politicians in india, the mayawati's or the mulayam's, no matter how bad they might be still we never call them gaddar. lets take the case of arundhati roy, who said it was time for kashmir to be independent from india, a thought supported by vir sanghvi of hindustantimes, but again these two indians were never labeled as traitors.
Fear…….we are fearful. You on the other hand have no or little fear. This is because you have been a democratic country for such a long period. With time, you have learnt a lot. India is not run 100% by the elite class. There are Dalits in your assembly; there are minorities in your assembly. They are always involved in give and take. Therefore, your democracy has created an atmosphere where people feel themselves empowered. Democracy also makes people tolerate each other.

We on the other hand have been ruled through autocracy. The dictators rule through fear, and fear leads to extremism. A fearful person is always more prone to name-callings. He does not believe in dialogue, but he believes in giving in and taking up the orders. There are never any arguments in the system of fear; there are always orders that are supposed to be followed. These Dictators have always tried to sell themselves in the name of patriotism. And anybody who dare not to agree with them is labeled a Traitor because if they are patriot, anybody who appose them is obviously a traitor. This philosophy of autocracy has crept into us, it has settled deep into the marrow of our bones and that is what you see on most Pakistani fora.

2). are there people in pakistan who feel partition was wrong, and that pakistan should never have been an independent country. (mind you, i do not feel pakistan and india need to merge.)
There are many who think like this.

3). is the prc truly a all weather friend of pakistan for we believe the only reason that binds this relationship is the common animosity towards india.
PRC finds Pakistan is located in a geo-strategically important location. It is supporting Pakistan because so far Pakistan has proven useful for its (PRCs) long term goals and objectives. But this may not last for long, and we have already seen some tell tale signs of it. China is a huge country and it has to take care of its own population. China will not be in a position to keep supporting Pakistan forever, especially when it is obvious that Pakistan is never going to or wiling to come out from the mess its has created with its own two hands.

4). there is a section in Pakistan which feels mush should be hanged to death, is this the right way of dealing with problems. violence is only going to get you more violence so where will be the peace come from that some of the Pakistanis say they can get only by way of democracy, and so as to sustain that democracy they need to hang mush.
Someone from the Army has to be punished. I do not think that Musharraf should be hanged, but he must be tried in the court. On the other hand, if ZA Bhutto could be hanged, why military dictators should be above the law? The democracy will never take up its roots in Pakistan until and unless the Army or more specifically the renegade Generals are not put on the leash.

bhramos

Country flag
sorry bro, my question was,
Jinnah thought to be Pak as Muslim democratic country, and his spirits were almost equal to the leaders of India, so he never announced the Pakistan as Islamic nation,
after his death in 1960's Pak was announced as a Islamic Country.
But i have never read anything about his relations Tribal leaders,
Even having such a great leader & Father of Pakistan, who dreamed about Democratic & Peace in Pakistan, how did people change and what Point has it made as worse as it is now?
only in democratic veiws, like Military Coups ....

qsaark

sorry bro, my question was,
Jinnah thought to be Pak as Muslim democratic country, and his spirits were almost equal to the leaders of India, so he never announced the Pakistan as Islamic nation,
after his death in 1960's Pak was announced as a Islamic Country.
But i have never read anything about his relations Tribal leaders,
Even having such a great leader & Father of Pakistan, who dreamed about Democratic & Peace in Pakistan, how did people change and what Point has it made as worse as it is now?
only in democratic veiws, like Military Coups ....
Well, in my opinion, the people or more specifically the leadership of Pakistan did not change. They were always like this as they are today. As I mentioned in some of my earlier posts, Pakistan was never made for the common Muslims. Pakistan was made for the ruling elites who feared that in a Hindu dominated Indian Union, they would not be allowed to play as freely they were doing for the past several millennia.

In addition to that, Jinnah was terminally ill, and he did not live for long after Pakistan came into being. Due to his illness, he was not the same Jinnah who had fought with his British and Congress rivals. He had to rely increasingly on people like Liaqaut Ali Khan who where working more sincerely for their British and American masters than for the newly founded Pakistan. It is on the record that Liaquat Ali Khan relied too much on General Gracey on the recommendation of Maj. General Iskander Mirza. Do you know who was Isaknder Mirza? He was the great grand son of Mir Jaffer the traitor. It was the same Iskander Mirza ho totally ignored the direct comments Jinnah wrote on Ayub Khan’s file that this officer (Ayub Khan) must not be promoted. Fatima Jinnah wrote a book in which she held Liaquat Ali Khan responsible for the death of her brother M.A. Jinnah when a beaten up ambulance was sent to receive the very sick Jinnah on his way from Quetta to Karachi at Mari Poor Airbase. Jinnah’s lifecould have been saved if a better ambulance was sent or perhaps a couple of them so he could make it to the hospital in time.

Mr Jinnah was carried into an army ambulance which then sped south of the highway towards Karachi. After about four or five miles, the ambulance came to a stop. There was a breakdown due to some engine trouble. It could not start. The afternoon was humid, the September heat was oppressive and flies buzzed around Mr Jinnah’s face. He had no strength left to brush them off though his sister Fatima helped by fanning him. Meanwhile Mr Jinnah’s pulse started becoming weaker and irregular even as hundreds of cars, trucks and buses rumbled by. The highway was lined with huts belonging to refugees who had come from India. They had no idea that their Qaid-e-Azam lay dying right there on the road.

One hour passed this way.

Finally another ambulance came and Mr Jinnah reached the governor-general’s mansion at 6.10 pm. Four hours and ten minutes later he was dead. The last word he uttered was to his sister Fatima – ‘Fati’.

Mr Jinnah's remains, weighing seventy pounds, were buried the next day, covered in a simple shroud.

Yes, if Jinnah had lived for few more years, and if he was in good health, the history of Pakistan might have been somewhat different.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Qsaark

thanks a lot for taking pains in putting up your replies, much appreciated.

i dont think two wrongs can make a right. Zulfikar Ali Bhutto being hanged was the lowest of the lows that pakistan touched post the 71 partition, and his hanging can certainly not be justified in any which way. i agree with you law needs to take its course, for if any thing law of the land needs to prevail no matter how heinous a crime someone does and whatever may be the popular perception and sentiments, same needs to follow in musharraf's case, and on a similar note i have always felt no matter what kasab did, still he needs a trail, that is free of any prejudice if any.

1). taking this discussion forward, what do you feel about the current status of judiciary of pakistan. i have a feeling that the politicians, military and other stake holders still exert a good amount of influence on the judiciary, just as has been shown in few of the recent rulings by the supreme court and high courts of pakistan. is there this nexus still between these stake holders and the top cream of pakistan judiciary or is it just my perception which seems to have developed after watching/reading media reports.

2). why do people of pakistan expect that the CJP will issue a suo motto notice on each and every problem that the country confronts. if the same were to happen here in india, it would be termed over activism and in that case with public pressure formed through media, the judiciary here would have no option but to relent and back off.

3). with raising these points, i'm getting a sense, people in pakistan look for superheroes where this superhero can do miracles, so if the same dream is sold by a dictator they fall for him, now if the same dream is shown by a judge they would want him to be extremely powerful and play that role, where as any transformation takes time and no one person can ever bring about that transformation, and if all the powers are bestowed on one person, one is sure to make a demon out of him. if i am right in my assumption, then why do people of pakistan not realise that by dreaming of such superheroes they are only dreaming of creating demons who would only cause more pains in the long run, where as the only long term solution is to build institutions of credibility which act as natural counter balance and counter checks for each other.

4). i agree with satish, where he says, eduction is the only way out and none other and that is the only revolution pakistan needs to have but here education has to teach the right, unlike what certain vested interests would like others to read. do you think this is possible in pakistan and has this issue has been addressed to in the recently released education policy.

PS: i have digressed from the main topic, so if you feel this is taking it too far off than what the thread was intended for, then please leave these questions unattended.

PPS: i am in no way trying to say we do not have our share of ills, in fact we have many, so same not be interpreted please.

thanks.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Fear.........to be cornered by majority Hindus in an undevided India....the Muslims elits asked for Pakistan.

Fear...........to be overpowered by India.....they lived under it for decades and asked the poors to sacrifice their bread to match India (In reality only the poors sacrificed their breads)

Fear.........to loss their control over the country....they never let people come out of India or Hindu fear.....They pact up with the medieval fundamentalists who are guiding Pakistan to her destruction.

Sorry mate, but it is the story of Pakistan - Birth, Lifetime and Death....

qsaark

Qsaark

thanks a lot for taking pains in putting up your replies, much appreciated.

i dont think two wrongs can make a right. Zulfikar Ali Bhutto being hanged was the lowest of the lows that pakistan touched post the 71 partition, and his hanging can certainly not be justified in any which way. i agree with you law needs to take its course, for if any thing law of the land needs to prevail no matter how heinous a crime someone does and whatever may be the popular perception and sentiments, same needs to follow in musharraf's case, and on a similar note i have always felt no matter what kasab did, still he needs a trail, that is free of any prejudice if any.
Fact of the matter is, Bhutto’s crimes are dwarfed against the crimes of Musharraf. Besides, I only said that civilian or military, no one should be above the law.

1). taking this discussion forward, what do you feel about the current status of judiciary of pakistan. i have a feeling that the politicians, military and other stake holders still exert a good amount of influence on the judiciary, just as has been shown in few of the recent rulings by the supreme court and high courts of pakistan. is there this nexus still between these stake holders and the top cream of pakistan judiciary or is it just my perception which seems to have developed after watching/reading media reports.
Your analysis is absolutely correct. Judiciary is still not free, and it will take very long time. The process could be expediated but the present government is not taking steps in that direction. More specifically, the Judiciary has to be separated from the administration. Until and unless this is happened, their will only be a marginal and temporary improvement in the judicial system.

2). why do people of pakistan expect that the CJP will issue a suo motto notice on each and every problem that the country confronts. if the same were to happen here in india, it would be termed over activism and in that case with public pressure formed through media, the judiciary here would have no option but to relent and back off.
It is termed over activism our judicial activism here in Pakistan too. But if the administration is failed to give relief to the people, where should they go? The people are left with two options. A. To go to the streets and protest and B. Ask the judiciary to take the notice of their miseries. All this is happening because our administration is not doing its job and under these circumstances, Judiciary can not and in my opinion must not sit idle.

3). with raising these points, i'm getting a sense, people in pakistan look for superheroes where this superhero can do miracles, so if the same dream is sold by a dictator they fall for him, now if the same dream is shown by a judge they would want him to be extremely powerful and play that role, where as any transformation takes time and no one person can ever bring about that transformation, and if all the powers are bestowed on one person, one is sure to make a demon out of him. if i am right in my assumption, then why do people of pakistan not realise that by dreaming of such superheroes they are only dreaming of creating demons who would only cause more pains in the long run, where as the only long term solution is to build institutions of credibility which act as natural counter balance and counter checks for each other.
You are right here. However, empty stomachs think very differently. Philosophy or even rationality can not be expected from them. There are times when people demand and rightly so, for immediate relief. It bothers them least how this relief is coming to them and who is giving this to them.

4). i agree with satish, where he says, eduction is the only way out and none other and that is the only revolution pakistan needs to have but here education has to teach the right, unlike what certain vested interests would like others to read. do you think this is possible in pakistan and has this issue has been addressed to in the recently released education policy.
I understand you are talking about ‘formal’ education. I am not convinced that only ‘education’ will bring about any change in Pakistan. Why am I so sure? Please visit several Pakistani fora….. Almost one hundred percent members on these fora are educated but are they in favor of any change in Pakistan? Don’t you get the impression that instead of a change, they favor the continuation of the status quo? Why it is so hard to make them understand that democracy is the only ‘practical’ way of governing the countries in today’s world?

However, if the print and electronic media continued to play its role as it is doing right now, eventually, Pakistani people and more specifically folks from the lower middle class and the lower class will start realizing. I have no hope from the Upper, and Upper Middle class. Especially the upper Middle class is always impotent. This class requires stability and never favors any change. However, in Pakistan, the middle class is shrinking with every passing day. A change is due, I have no doubt about that, but media will prove a catalyst.

PS: i have digressed from the main topic, so if you feel this is taking it too far off than what the thread was intended for, then please leave these questions unattended.

PPS: i am in no way trying to say we do not have our share of ills, in fact we have many, so same not be interpreted please.

thanks.
I think we are discussing issues which are tightly intertwined. It is not possible to discuss one aspect while the other is ignored. I am fine with it. And for your second last line, you will find me very open minded. I am not one of those who make every possible effort to conceal and avoid their shortcomings and find satisfaction in discussing others.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
True...we met a lot of Pakistani members throgh Internet who are educated and have access to whats happening in the world. But hardly any of them is ready to go beyond the paronia that prevailed for more than sixty years. Contempt to anything Indian is most common (if not hatred to India) as if matching India even if it is by means of false claim is the sole purpose of existance for a Pakistani. I wonder how some blatantly disagree the past they share with India amd try to link themselves as a part of Muslim ( read Arab ) civilization rubbishing Indian civilization as Hindu civilization. I wonder how someone can proudly name their missiles with those Muslim Invaders who once plundered the same land they belong to and among the victims were their forefathers.
Still I hope middle class and lower middle class people in pakistan to prosper and miraculasly make their ruler concentrate on development of Pakistan rather than hiding their failure under the anti-Indian carpet.

johnee

You may be right here, but the question is for how long? Were Bengalis not fed with the same propaganda? Were they not scared with the Hindu dominance? But Bengalis were smart, it took them only 22 years to realize that they were made fool by the Military and Civil establishment of Pakistan.

And about the bloody revolution…No one wants that but there is no option. Do I need to tell you that what I can write on this forum is not allowed to jot down on the major Pakistani fora? People of Pakistan have no place to express their concerns… The establishment has closed all the doors for them… They have no representative in the assemblies, all those who are sitting there are feudals, members of the ruling elite class… If they go on the street, they are beaten up by the Police… If they talk about their rights, Army is used against them… They are labeled traitors, and un-thankful, and Indian-sympathizers. You tell me, what they do?
Firstly, Qsaark, it has been a pleasant surprise to see a pakistani see the facts as they are without any bias. I understand it is a very hard thing to do honest self-introspection. I can only say that I am really impressed by the courage and wisdom you have shown.

Now, you mentioned Bengalis and how they realised the trickery of ruling elites, but even they could not achieve freedom without an outside help(in that case India). Then today, Balochis are fighting for freedom but without much success because they dont have much outside help. Given the present context in which the ruling elites(comprising of military, politicians, feudals, business class) have entrenched themselves so firmly in the power corridors, do you think, common pakistanis can mount any large scale revolution(peaceful or violent) without outside sympathetic support?

Sabir

DFI TEAM
If some people try to bring the revelution to uproot those elites soon they will be termed as Gaddar and Indian-American-Israeli agents to break Pakistan. Mullahs will jump in the stage to explain how kafirs have conspired to destroy Muslim Ummah. Unfortunately they have more control over Pakistani people. Pakistan is yet not prepared for any such revelution as any any such attempt will not get enough internal support to carry on. Hope there are more people like our friend Qsaark and they are trying their level best to educate people so that they can understand what are their real problems and who the real enemies are, so that they can come out of their fear and build a better Pakistan.

johnee

If some people try to bring the revelution to uproot those elites soon they will be termed as Gaddar and Indian-American-Israeli agents to break Pakistan. Mullahs will jump in the stage to explain how kafirs have conspired to destroy Muslim Ummah. Unfortunately they have more control over Pakistani people. Pakistan is yet not prepared for any such revelution as any any such attempt will not get enough internal support to carry on. Hope there are more people like our friend Qsaark and they are trying their level best to educate people so that they can understand what are their real problems and who the real enemies are, so that they can come out of their fear and build a better Pakistan.
Exactly, the entire power structure is firmly controlled inside Pakistan. So, for any kind of revolution(for lack of a better word) to succeed, it would need some kind of sympathatic support from outside powers(or neighbours).

ppgj

I understand you are talking about ‘formal’ education. I am not convinced that only ‘education’ will bring about any change in Pakistan. Why am I so sure? Please visit several Pakistani fora….. Almost one hundred percent members on these fora are educated but are they in favor of any change in Pakistan? Don’t you get the impression that instead of a change, they favor the continuation of the status quo? Why it is so hard to make them understand that democracy is the only ‘practical’ way of governing the countries in today’s world?
i totally agree with you. if 'formal education' was the answer we would not see 9/11 bombers or many we catch in india being highly educated. i think it is the cleansing of the heart and mind, of being educated in the virtues of tolerance, valuing other cultures, considering peace as the major factor in the economic growth, of seeing history in the right perspective and cherishing it as a treasure, removing the fear by being good neighbours etc... i think that is the revolution that is called for and a peaceful at that. you can throw more light on what you feel is needed. anyways it will be generations when seeds that are sown today will yield fruits.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
I think some of the issues that Qsaark raises about the "elite monopoly" is not just Pakistan specific......you see these problems even here in the West but its a lot worse in Asian and African countries.

Make no mistake - we live in dangerous times where the rich are simply getting richer, and the poor are falling further behind. This is a world-wide phenomenon.

Look at the scumbags on Wall Street in the US who caused the collapse of Lehman Brothers and made millions in the process and now they are back to doing the same thing that they did before. Millions of people lost their jobs, savings, homes, and the shirt on their backs, but these Wall street types who work for these big institutions know that they are "too big to fail" and therefore they can take huge risks and get huge bonusses, and when things go bust - they really dont give a shit, because they are already super-rich by then.

You would think that education can liberate the masses, but education and knowledge can also be used by the rich & powerful to consolidate their power and position.

Pakistan may be an extreme example, but this phenomenon is happening everywhere in the world at different levels.

I think those of us who live for the next 50 years on this planet are in for some very interesting times - we are going to be reaching the breaking point in terms of climate change, pollution, water & energy scarcity, destruction of the environment, and global poverty. This will all lead to great social strife, civil wars, and wars between nations for limited resources.

qsaark

True...we met a lot of Pakistani members throgh Internet who are educated and have access to whats happening in the world. But hardly any of them is ready to go beyond the paronia that prevailed for more than sixty years. Contempt to anything Indian is most common (if not hatred to India) as if matching India even if it is by means of false claim is the sole purpose of existance for a Pakistani. I wonder how some blatantly disagree the past they share with India amd try to link themselves as a part of Muslim ( read Arab ) civilization rubbishing Indian civilization as Hindu civilization. I wonder how someone can proudly name their missiles with those Muslim Invaders who once plundered the same land they belong to and among the victims were their forefathers.
Still I hope middle class and lower middle class people in pakistan to prosper and miraculasly make their ruler concentrate on development of Pakistan rather than hiding their failure under the anti-Indian carpet.
Very good post. Sabir Sahab, have you read this column or essay by Prof. Shahida Qazi? I know her in person when I was studying in Karachi University. As you can see, I am not alone, there are many people who like to read history without distorting it. Even though she has exaggerated a bit in her essay but overall, she has presented a quite true picture. But these people are quickly labeled as traitors and cornered in our society. We did not even spare people like Faiz Ahmed Faiz and Ahmed Faraz.

The myth of history

By Prof Shahida Kazi

History is a discipline that has never been taken seriously by anyone in Pakistan. As a result, the subject has been distorted in such a way that many a fabricated tale has become part of our collective consciousness

DOES mythology have anything to do with history? Is mythology synonymous with history? Or is history mythology?

Admittedly, the line between the two is a very fine one. From time immemorial, man has always been in search of his roots. He has also been trying to find a real and tangible basis for the legends of ancient days — legends that have become a part of our collective consciousness. As a result, we witness the quest for proving the existence of King Arthur, the search for whereabouts of the city of Troy, and many expeditions organized to locate the exact site of the landing of Noah’s Ark.

During the ‘60s and the ‘70s, there was a worldwide movement to prove that the ‘gods’ of ancient mythologies did actually exist; they came from distant galaxies; and that mankind owed all its progress to such alien superheroes. Several books were written on the subject.

We, in Pakistan, are a breed apart. Lacking a proper mythology like most other races, we have created our own, populated by a whole pantheon of superheroes who have a wide range of heroic exploits to their credit.

But the difference is that these superheroes, instead of being a part of a remote and prehistoric period, belong very much to our own times. A seemingly veritable mythology has been created around these heroes, their persona and their achievements, which is drummed into the heads of our children from the time they start going to school. So deep is this indoctrination that any attempt to uncover the facts or reveal the truth is considered nothing less than blasphemous.

Here are some of the most common myths:

Myth 1

Our history begins from 712AD, when Mohammad bin Qasim arrived in the subcontinent and conquered the port of Debal.

Take any social studies or Pakistan studies book, it starts with Mohammad bin Qasim. What was there before his arrival? Yes, cruel and despotic Hindu kings like Raja Dahir and the oppressed and uncivilized populace anxiously waiting for a ‘liberator’ to free them from the clutches of such cruel kings. And when the liberator came, he was welcomed with open arms and the grateful people converted to Islam en mass.

Did it really happen? This version of our history conveniently forgets that the area where our country is situated has had a long and glorious history of 6,000 years. Forget Moenjo Daro. We do not know enough about it. But recorded history tells us that before Mohammad Bin Qasim, this area, roughly encompassing Sindh, Punjab and some parts of the NWFP, was ruled by no less than 12 different dynasties from different parts of the world, including the Persians (during the Achamaenian period), the Greeks comprising the Bactrians, Scthians and Parthians, the Kushanas from China, and the Huns (of Attila fame) who also came from China, besides a number of Hindu dynasties including great rulers like Chandragupta Maurya and Asoka.

During the Gandhara period, this region had the distinction of being home to one of the biggest and most important universities of the world at our very own Taxila. We used to be highly civilized, well-educated, prosperous, creative and economically productive people, and many countries benefited a lot from us, intellectually as well as economically. This is something we better not forget. But do we tell this to our children? No. And so the myth continues from generation to generation.

Myth 2

Mohammad Bin Qasim came to India to help oppressed widows and orphan girls.

Because of our blissful ignorance of history, we don’t know, or don’t bother to know, that this period was the age of expansion of the Islamic empire. The Arabs had conquered a large portion of the world, comprising the entire Middle East, Persia, North Africa and Spain. Therefore, it defies logic that they would not seek to conquer India, the land of legendary treasures.

In fact, the Arabs had sent their first expedition to India during Hazrat Umar Farooq’s tenure. A subsequent expedition had come to Makran during Hazrat Usman’s rule. But they had been unsuccessful in making any in-roads into the region. Later on, following the refusal of the king to give compensation for the ships captured by pirates (which incidentally included eight ships full of treasures from Sri Lanka, and not just women and girls), two expeditions had already been sent to India, but they proved unsuccessful. It was the third expedition brought by Mohammad Bin Qasim which succeeded in capturing Sindh, from Mansura to Multan. However, because of the Arabs’ internal dissension and political infighting, Sindh remained a neglected outpost of the Arab empire, and soon reverted to local kings.

Myth 3

The myth of the idol-breaker.

Mahmood Ghaznavi, the great son of Islam and idol-breaker par excellence, took upon himself to destroy idols all over India and spread Islam in the subcontinent.

Mahmud, who came from neighbouring Ghazni, Central Asia, invaded India no less than 17 times. But except Punjab, he made no attempt to conquer any other part of the country or to try and consolidate his rule over the rest of India. In fact, the only thing that attracted him was the treasures of India, gold and precious stones, of which he took care and carried back home a considerable amount every time he raided the country. Temples in India were a repository of large amounts of treasure at the time, as were the churches in Europe, hence his special interest in temples and idols.

Contrary to popular belief, it was not the kings, the Central Asian sultans who ruled for over 300 years and the Mughals who ruled for another 300 years, who brought Islam to the subcontinent. That work was accomplished by the Sufi Sheikhs who came to India mainly to escape persecution from the fundamentalists back home, and who, through their high-mindedness, love for humanity, compassion, tolerance and simple living won the hearts of the people of all religions.

Myth 4

The myth of the cap-stitcher.

Of all the kings who have ruled the subcontinent, the one singled out for greatest praise in our text books is Aurangzeb, the last of the great Mughals. Baber built the empire; Humayun lost it and got it back; Akbar expanded and consolidated it; Jahangir was known for his sense of justice; Shahjehan for his magnificent buildings. But it is Aurangzeb, known as a pious man, who grabs the most attention. The prevalent myth is that he did not spend money from the treasury for his personal needs, but fulfilled them by stitching caps and copying out the Holy Quran. Is there any real need for discussing this assertion? Anyone who’s least bit familiar with the Mughal lifestyle would know how expensive it was to maintain their dozens of palaces. The Mughals used to have many wives, children, courtiers, concubines and slaves who would be present in each palace, whose needs had to be met. Could such expenses be met by stitching caps? And even if the king was stitching caps, would people buy them and use them as ordinary caps? Would they not pay exorbitant prices for them and keep them as heirlooms? Would a king, whose focus had to be on military threats surrounding him from all sides and on the need to save and consolidate a huge empire, have the time and leisure to sit and stitch caps? Let’s not forget that the person we are referring to as a pious Muslim was the same who became king after he imprisoned his won father in a cell in his palace and killed all his brothers to prevent them from taking over the throne.

Myth 5

It was the Muslims who were responsible for the war of 1857; and it was the Muslims who bore the brunt of persecution in the aftermath of the war, while the Hindus were natural collaborators of the British.

It is true that more Muslim regiments than Hindu rose up against the British in 1857. But the Hindus also played a major role in the battle (the courageous Rani of Jhansi is a prime example); and if Muslim soldiers were inflamed by the rumour that the cartridges were laced with pig fat, in the case of Hindus, the rumour was that it was cow fat. And a large number of Muslims remained loyal to the British to the very end. (The most illustrious of them being Sir Syed Ahmed Khan.)

Furthermore, the Muslims did not lose their empire after 1857. The British had already become masters of most of India before that time, having grasped vast territories from both Hindu and Muslim rulers through guile and subterfuge.

The Mughal emperor at the time was a ruler in name only; his jurisdiction did not extend beyond Delhi. After 1857, the Hindus prospered, because they were clever enough to acquire modern education, learn the English language, and take to trade and commerce. The Muslims were only land owners, wedded to the dreams of the past pomp and glory, and when their lands were taken away, they were left with nothing; their madressah education and proficiency in Persian proved to be of no help. As a matter of fact, it was a hindrance in such changing times.

Myth 6

The Muslims were in the forefront of the struggle against the British and were singled out for unfair treatment by the latter.

Not at all. In fact, the first ‘gift’ given to the Muslims by the British was in 1905 in the form of partition of Bengal (later revoked in 1911). The Shimla delegation of 1906 has rightly been called a ‘command performance’; the Muslims were assured by the viceroy of separate electorates and weightage as soon as their leaders asked for them. After that, he Muslim League came into being, established by pro-British stalwarts like the Aga Khan, Justice Amir Ali, some other nawabs and feudal lords. And the first objective of the Muslim League manifesto read: “To promote feelings of loyalty to the British government.”

The Muslim League never carried out any agitation against the British. The only time the Muslims agitated was during the Khilafat Movement in the early ‘20s, led by the Ali brothers and other radical leaders. Not a single Muslim League leader, including the Quaid-i-Azam, ever went to jail. It was the Congress which continued the anti-British non-violent and non-cooperation movement in the ‘30s and ‘40s, including the famous ‘Quit India’ movement, while Muslim League leaders continued to denounce such movements and exhorted their followers not to take part in them.

Myth 7

The Muslim League was the only representative body of the Muslims.

It is an incontrovertible fact that it was only after 1940 that the Muslim League established itself as a popular party among the Muslims. Prior to that, as evident in the 1937 elections, the Muslim League did not succeed in forming the government in any of the Muslim majority provinces. In those elections, out of the total of 482 Muslim seats, the Muslim League won only 103 (less than one-fourth of the total). Other seats went either to Congress Muslims or to nationalist parties such as the Punjab Unionist Party, the Sind Unionist Party and the Krishak Proja Party of Bengal.

Myth 8

Allama Iqbal was the first person to come up with the idea of a separate Muslim state.

This is one of the most deeply embedded myths in our country and the one which has been propagated by all governments. In fact, the idea that Muslim majority provinces of the north-west formed a natural group and should be considered a single bloc had been mooted by the British as far back as 1858 and freely discussed in various newspaper articles and on political platforms. Several variations of the idea had come from important public personalities, including British, Muslims and some Hindus. By the time Allama Iqbal gave his famous speech in 1930, the idea had been put forward at least 64 times. So, Iqbal voiced something which was already there, and was not an original ‘dream’. After his speech at Allahbad was reported, Allama Iqbal published a ‘retraction’ in a British newspaper that he had not been talking of a separate Muslim sate, but only of a Muslim bloc within the Indian federation.

Myth 9

The Pakistan Resolution envisaged a single Muslim state.

The fact is that none of the proposals regarding the Muslim bloc mooted by different individuals or parties had included East Bengal in it. The emphasis had always been on north-western provinces, which shared common frontiers, while other Muslim majority states, such as Bengal and Hyderabad, were envisaged as separate blocs. So, it was in the Pakistan Resolution. The resolution reads: “The areas in which the Muslims are numerically in a majority as in the north-western and eastern zones of India should be grouped to constitute independent states, in which the constituent units shall be autonomous and sovereign.”

Leaving aside the poor and ambiguous drafting of the entire resolution, the part about states (in plural) is very clear. It was only in 1946, at a convention of the Muslim League legislators in Delhi, that the original resolution was amended, which was adopted at a general Muslim League session and the objective became a single state.

Myth 10

March 23, 1940 is celebrated because the Pakistan Resolution was adopted on that day. The fact of the matter is that the Pakistan Resolution was only introduced on March 23 and was finally adopted on March 24 (the second and final day of the session).

As to why we celebrate March 23 is another story altogether. The day was never celebrated before 1956. It was first celebrated that year as the Republic Day to mark the passage of the first constitution and Pakistan’s emergence as a truly independent republic. It had the same importance for us as January 26 for India. But when Gen Ayub abrogated the constitution and established martial law in 1958, he was faced with a dilemma. He could not let the country celebrate a day commemorating the constitution that he had himself torn apart, nor could he cancel the celebration altogether. A way-out was found by keeping the celebration, but giving it another name: the Pakistan Resolution Day.

Myth 11

It was Ghulam Muhammad who created imbalance of power between the prime minister and head of state, and it was he who sought to establish the supremacy of the governor-general over the prime minister and parliament.

When Pakistan came into being, the British government’s India Act of 1935 was adopted as the working constitution. And it was the Quaid-i-Azam himself who introduced certain amendments to the act to make the governor-general the supreme authority. It was under these powers that the Quaid-i-Azam dismissed the government of Dr Khan Sahib in the NWFP in August 1947 and that of Mr Ayub Khuhro in Sindh in 1948.

Besides being governor-general, the Quaid-i-Azam also continued as president of the Muslim League and president of the Constituent Assembly.

It was these same powers under which Mr Daultana’s government was dismissed in Punjab in 1949 by Khawaja Nazimuddin, who himself was dismissed as prime minister in 1953 by Ghulam Mohammad.

However, in 1954, a move was started by members of the then Constituent Assembly to table an amendment to the act, taking away excessive powers of the governor-general. It was this move which provoked the governor-general, Ghulam Mohammad, to dismiss the Constituent Assembly in 1954, and thereby change the course of Pakistan’s history.

These are some of the myths that have been drummed into our heads from childhood and have become part of our consciousness. There are scores more, pervading our everyday life. And there are many unanswered questions such as:

• What is Pakistan’s ideology and when was the term first coined? (It was never heard of before 1907.)
• Why was Gandhi murdered? (He was supposedly guarding Pakistan’s interest.)
• What is the truth about the so-called traitors, Shaikh Mujeeb, Wali Khan, and G.M. Syed?
• What caused the break-away of East Pakistan?
• Why was Bhutto put to death?
• Are all our politicians corrupt and self-serving?
• Why does our history repeat itself after every 10 years?

The answers to all these questions require a thorough study of history, not mythology. But history unfortunately is a discipline that has never been taken seriously by anyone in our country. It’s time things changed

Source: The myth of history -DAWN Magazine; March 27, 2005

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles