India must kick China out of Sri Lanka: Former US Diplomat

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
China is not pouring anything, china is takeing money from SL to build a huge port.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Which India rejected in the first place! There are more examples like that!
No i am in the construction business, we did not neglect i think many companies had their hands full here and did not qualify for the project.

amoy

It's not only abt money, man. There're many bugs in India-SL relationship. Here's one - Why didn't India invest heavily in SL, like in infra. - port development for example? One factor can be India thinks of SL as a competitor, i.e. SL ports vying with Indian ports for business. Naturally India would ask why not develop their own ports as priority? why invest in a rival? In contrast, China, unlike India, sees SL as an ideal /vital shipping hub on the east-west trade lane for her large fleets (Cosco, CSCL, Whampoa, and China Merchant are all among the top shipping giants worldwide). Investment is a way for China to engage certain states. By the same token Chinese enterprises contemplate investing in Panamanian port while Panama even has no diplomatic ties with PRC.

Also as I pointed out earlier beggar-thy-neighbor is India's ploy to keep S. Asian peers succumbed to her hegemony.

So SL (and other S.A. states) have got to be disappointed if expecting "money showers" from India :rofl:

^^^^^ The only way is to pour more money than China pours now!

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I don't see how we can do that if we have such pathetic policies for internal affairs and economy. We can boast about our power only if we truly utilize our potential.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
It's not only abt money, man. There're many bugs in India-SL relationship. Here's one - Why didn't India invest heavily in SL, like in infra. - port development for example? One factor can be India thinks of SL as a competitor, i.e. SL ports vying with Indian ports for business. Naturally India would ask why not develop their own ports as priority? why invest in a rival? In contrast, China, unlike India, sees SL as an ideal /vital shipping hub on the east-west trade lane for her large fleets (Cosco, CSCL, Whampoa, and China Merchant are all among the top shipping giants worldwide). Investment is a way for China to engage certain states. By the same token Chinese enterprises contemplate investing in Panamanian port while Panama even has no diplomatic ties with PRC.

Also as I pointed out earlier beggar-thy-neighbor is India's ploy to keep S. Asian peers succumbed to her hegemony.

So SL (and other S.A. states) have got to be disappointed if expecting "money showers" from India :rofl:

"beggar-thy-neighbor " (bugger) is CCP and Chinese traditional policy. No further explanation required. It is Chinese historical legacy.

HeinzGud

Country flag
"beggar-thy-neighbor " (bugger) is CCP and Chinese traditional policy. No further explanation required. It is Chinese historical legacy.
don't think India's hands are clean in this issue..... SLs knows better about that!

Tolaha

And you say this inspite of being aware of the status of your allies? It seems that whosoever becomes China's ally ends with a beggar's bowl (N. Korea, Pakistan, Myanmar). I trust that the Lankan's couldn't possible be that dumb and blind, unless they have been hit by suicidal tendencies!

Reactions: Ray

HeinzGud

Country flag
And you say this inspite of being aware of the status of your allies? It seems that whosoever becomes China's ally ends with a beggar's bowl (N. Korea, Pakistan, Myanmar). I trust that the Lankan's couldn't possible be that dumb and blind, unless they have been hit by suicidal tendencies!
You forgot one thing mate all these countries you mention have fanatical leaders in politics which Sri Lanka dosen't.

Tolaha

You forgot one thing mate all these countries you mention have fanatical leaders in politics which Sri Lanka dosen't.
Well... to put that statement in a more devious manner...

If Sri Lanka indeed aligns itself with the Chinese, then we can safely conclude that their leaders are fanatical who are leading their country to destruction, just like how rest of the Chinese allies did!

Having said that, I really don't believe this will happen and that India need not worry too much about it! The Lankan's have got loads of brainy matter and they will use them! :)

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
don't think India's hands are clean in this issue..... SLs knows better about that!
When Sinhala bugger their Tamiliains borothers you have no right to moralise on that, so better keep off

no smoking

Country flag
We are not talking about Mao here, i am makeing the general point that Communism is put China through shit it does not need to have gone through. Yet you cant speak ill of communism or Mao i call that obsession not acknowledgement.
Well, that is the general point in West and india, not in China.
The fact is:
In last 80s, Mao was cursed by almost every chinese youth.
In last 90s, Mas was remembered by nobody, even CCP doesn't want him.
In 21 century, suddenly, Mao is brought back, not by CCP, but new generation Chinese! He was admired by these youth.

So, do you understand what happens here? Or you just say it is the trick played by CCP propoganda machine?

In one word, you are not chinese, you are not in a position to judge Mao because you have little knowledge of him.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
You are not obsessed? You got be kidding me. If by invoking the name Mao every time you talk about CHina is not an obsession, then I dont know what is. I know it is hard for you, since he is the only chinese you know back in the 70s.

Anyway I see no reason to go OT like you do. So this is my last post here. Have fun !
I am not obsessed with Mao.

I merely find it odd when he is criticised vehemently by the Chinese!

In one word, you are not chinese, you are not in a position to judge Mao because you have little knowledge of him.
GK need not be a Chinese, but Mao is so widely written about, one cannot help but know of him, as if he was your next door neighbour!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I feel there is no need to kick China out from anywhere where she has entrenched itself.

The people of that country itself will realise which side of the bread is buttered,

Note how 'popular' China has become in Africa!

no smoking

Country flag
I am not obsessed with Mao.

I merely find it odd when he is criticised vehemently by the Chinese!

GK need not be a Chinese, but Mao is so widely written about, one cannot help but know of him, as if he was your next door neighbour!
But the truth is that you don't know him as much as you think. And most of indian online always think they have better knowledge on chinese issues than common chinese.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
But the truth is that you don't know him as much as you think. And most of indian online always think they have better knowledge on chinese issues than common chinese.
It is true that I don't know him as should I say his doctor or his manservant comrade.

I would like to just inform you that one does not only read things online. Educated in India do invest in books, attend discourses and seminars, addressed by foreign and Indian dignitaries.

It maybe surprising to you, but I did meet Chou en Lai, though I was but a child then, when he came to meet my granduncle.

Last edited:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I feel there is no need to kick China out from anywhere where she has entrenched itself.
The people of that country itself will realise which side of the bread is buttered,
Note how 'popular' China has become in Africa!
Yet China stays in Africa and is expanding everywhere. Is everyone after quick money and cheap products? Where is the thresh hold?
Till now I have seen it only in China dooming theories; which echo a lot like the 'New World Order' thesis.
Why do things echo, we need not tell.

amoy

Glad we're back on the track i.e. the grand landscape of South Asia

To remind of u of timeline - Those allies u mentioned embraced China AFTER (not before) they realized their plights. For example Pakistan, once even a member of SEATO against China + Communism, joined hand with China when its survival was being put at stake. India dismantled Pakistan by "liberating" its eastern part. And India has always been a big bully in the region, for NP, BD and even Bhutan.

They aren't beggars nor suicidal. They cant pick neighbors (India being a given) but they can pick friends. Moreover getting gaga over your peers with wordings like beggar ain't helping u get anywhere. There's much hot air on India becoming a world class power. But what has SL or NP, or BD gained from her hard or soft power. Their relationship with China is for mutual good. China invests and gets a foothold in SL. And SL boosts their economy and grows their competency. Win Win.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles