India Mulls Stationing of Ground Forces in Afghanistan

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
NEW DELHI-— The Indian government is evaluating the possibility of stationing troops in Afghanistan after the international forces begin leaving the country in 2014.An Indian Ministry of Defence source said no decision has yet been taken, but the possibility of putting boots in Afghanistan is under consideration by the Indian government.Afghan President Hamid Karzai is visiting New Delhi May 20-22 and the issue of stationing of Indian troops is likely to be discussed, said an official of the Indian External Affairs Ministry."It is in India's interest to enhance security and defense cooperation with Afghanistan," added the official, but he would not comment if a decision has been made.Currently, India's defense relations with Afghanistan is only at the cooperation level, including training of personnel at Indian institutes. The Indian government had previously opposed stationing ground troops unless it is under the umbrella of the United Nations."New Delhi will have to be very careful in supplying weapons and equipment and stationing troops in Afghanistan so that it does not project itself to be over enthusiastic in its presence in Afghanistan, once the international troops leave in 2014," said analyst Nitin Mehta.India has built roads and infrastructure in Afghanistan with the assistance of the Border Roads Organisation.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/...ia-Mulls-Stationing-Ground-Forces-Afghanistan

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk HD

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Pretty unlikely in my opinion

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk HD

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Pakis would be the FIRST one to cry a river in case Indian troops are deployed :lol:

They would be sandwiched.

t_co

Pakis would be the FIRST one to cry a river in case Indian troops are deployed :lol:

They would be sandwiched.
Pakistan would likely view the chaotic situation in Afghanistan as a nice fig leaf to bleed the poor guys deployed there white. Not a strategically sound move on India's part, IMO.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
So the NATO forces are leaving Afghanistan. This will be a good opportunity for Taliban to take over Kabul with obvious help from Pakistan ISI and anti-india terrorists (which will be their new save haven under Taliban). :shoot:

Last edited:

binayak95

Country flag
I think India will be more involved in training and arms supplies. Boots on the ground will be primarily to protect Indian contracts and interests like the 200 odd ITBP deployed now.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles