India may soon get single emergency number like United States' 911

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
A single emergency calling number will soon become a reality in India, mirroring the 911 service in the US. An inter-ministerial panel headed by a top home ministry official has been mandated to finalise the roadmap of a single emergency services number in six weeks, according to the minutes of a confidential interior ministry meeting seen by ET.

India may soon get single emergency number like United States' 911 - The Economic Times

DivineHeretic

Country flag
Its a very welcome sign. In Assam, 108 functions as the go to number for fire, police and medical emergencies. But its understaffed and also lacks the kind of resources required to deal with multiple emergencies simultaneously.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Its a very welcome sign. In Assam, 108 functions as the go to number for fire, police and medical emergencies. But its understaffed and also lacks the kind of resources required to deal with multiple emergencies simultaneously.
108 is also official emergency Number in TN .in case of Fire, Medic and Police

But mostly used for Medics

Blackwater

Who will pick up the phone??:p:p

issuing number is other thing, to pick phone and send police and fire in time is other:scared2::scared2:

distant dream:lol::lol:

kseeker

Retired
A single emergency calling number will soon become a reality in India, mirroring the 911 service in the US. An inter-ministerial panel headed by a top home ministry official has been mandated to finalise the roadmap of a single emergency services number in six weeks, according to the minutes of a confidential interior ministry meeting seen by ET.

India may soon get single emergency number like United States' 911 - The Economic Times
This is indeed a nice initiative ! However, I am really skeptical on its effectiveness if at all it will get implemented :rolleyes:

Free Karma

I really hope it is staffed properly...which seems to be the issue with almost all help lines here

When they opened up the suicide helpline, a person I know called up....and.. "The number you have dialed..is not in use..please try again later!" ..:shocked:

though they did fix the problem later and the help line it seems has helped a lot people.

Patriot

Country flag

issuing number is other thing, to pick phone and send police and fire in time is other:scared2::scared2:

This is very welcome move & shall be really a great help to citizens.

My experience in Gujarat with 108 has been really good . I myself called once for one road accident and they came withen 15 minutes during a rush hour time even to a place which not on main road. Normally 108 guys take around 10 minutes time, which is quiet appreciable.

For fire support I am bit skeptical because our infrastructure in most of the places is not anywhere near to world class rather it is very much outdated.

kseeker

Retired
This is very welcome move & shall be really a great help to citizens.

My experience in Gujarat with 108 has been really good . I myself called once for one road accident and they came withen 15 minutes during a rush hour time even to a place which not on main road. Normally 108 guys take around 10 minutes time, which is quiet appreciable.

For fire support I am bit skeptical because our infrastructure in most of the places is not anywhere near to world class rather it is very much outdated.
I wish to see Gujarat kind of implementation all over India !

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

Once My college mates are assaulted by a Muslim groups When our College Buses are Passing through their Village ..More than 10+ students are heavily injured of their Attack ..we call the 108 for the incident They come with a Ambulance and Police van within 10 min

If they didn't get arrived at correct Time ... There should some Causality ..

jmj_overlord

Once My college mates are assaulted by a Muslim groups When our College Buses are Passing through their Village ..More than 10+ students are heavily injured of their Attack ..we call the 108 for the incident They come with a Ambulance and Police van within 10 min

If they didn't get arrived at correct Time ... There should some Causality ..
here in kerala i believe there are separate numbers for various emergencies, the most common number 100 for police control room...

Last edited:

ninja85

indian govt. should watch the movie - 'THE CALL' ,

to see that how should be the emergency response services centers and "numbers".

Global Defence

New threads

Articles