India: 'Massive' uranium find in Andhra Pradesh

KS

Bye bye DFI
I am sure you have no clue about the severity of fuel shortage in India for it's nuke plants. India got into a deal with the US and then NSG to get uranium. Still countries like Australia refuse to sell to us. We need all the uranium we can.
Exactly.

Most of the plants in India are operating at 40-50% capacity due to shortage in fuels.

Rahul92

I am sure you have no clue about the severity of fuel shortage in India for it's nuke plants. India got into a deal with the US and then NSG to get uranium. Still countries like Australia refuse to sell to us. We need all the uranium we can.
But bhai We can import them no country will sell uranium for making nuke bomb purpose so what i meant was we can use the imported uranium for energy purposes & the one which is available in India can be ( you know )

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
But bhai We can import them no country will sell uranium for making nuke bomb purpose so what i meant was we can use the imported uranium for energy purposes & the one which is available in India can be ( you know )
Son check all the threads on nukes. it will help you understand all this.

Importing uranium is not as easy as importing toys.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
I think we have other options for energy needs like Solar power, Tidal power etc. etc., But this type of rare Uranium deposit should be used for Nuclear weapons.
Why not to invest money on solar and air power plants?

Iamanidiot

I don't think they will try to use the mine right now the will try to make an inventory of the places where the deposits will occur

debasree

Country flag
very good newn hopefully enviroment minstry gives the go ahead in time,this time

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I think we have other options for energy needs like Solar power, Tidal power etc. etc., But this type of rare Uranium deposit should be used for Nuclear weapons.
Why not to invest money on solar and air power plants?
Solar and air depends on other factors and the amount of electricity generated is far less. I mean for generating 500 MW of solar power you will require acres and acres of land and it is going to be very expensive too to generate that much electricity. Renewable sources like air and solar can only supplement and be used for smaller capacity at least with the technology that is available right now.

Uranium deposits that we have so far are good enough for our nuke weapons program. We are not even expanding our program to add 10s of more weapons. If we needed to, we have enough fissile material to make hundreds of nuclear bombs.

Country flag
Do we still need to import nuclear fuel and abide by any whimsical conditions that the nuclear monopoly organizations come up with in the Nuclear deal?? The Uranium content found in the mines in Ladakh have one of the highest uranium content in the world but nothing has moved forward due to burecracy. There are probably many other big deposits waiting to be found.

Country flag
Uranium find in India could be world's largest-report | Reuters

Uranium find in India could be world's largest

A huge deposit of uranium India has found in a southern state could turn out to be among the biggest reserves of the mineral in the world, reports said on Tuesday citing the head of the country's atomic energy department.

The Tumalappalli mine in Andhra Pradesh state has confirmed 49,000 tonnes of ore and there are indications that it could hold reserves totalling three times its current size, The Times of India quoted Srikumar Banerjee as saying.

"If that be the case, it will become the largest uranium mine in the world," Banerjee, secretary at the Department of Atomic Energy, said, adding production will start in six months.

The mine's proven reserve is enough to support a 8,000 mega watts nuclear power plant for 40 years, the report added.

India plans to expand its nuclear power generation capacity from 4.7 giga watts (GW) now to 7.3 GW by the end of March 2012 and 20 GW by 2020.

To make this possible, the country has signed a landmark nuclear power deal with the United States and opened up its estimated $150 billion nuclear power market to private reactor builders such as GE and Areva CEPFi.PA.

India, which has a total installed power generation capacity of 164 gigawatts (GW), aims to raise it to 187 GW by the end of March 2012. Even this target is modest, given a 12 percent peak-hour power shortfall that crimps the country's near 9 percent economic growth.

SHASH2K2

First thorium reserves and now this Uranium reserve . Looks like India has very brigh NUCLEAR future. :D Today only I saw a was a report from America about India capable of exporting reactors in near future.

SHASH2K2

Manc thorium desings will take years to mature and currently India is putting more than enough resources towards it. I agree that Thorium is future but it doesnt mean Uranium has no future.

plugwater

Manc thorium desings will take years to mature and currently India is putting more than enough resources towards it. I agree that Thorium is future but it doesnt mean Uranium has no future.
I am sure we will finish our first thorium based reactor before starting to mine this Uranium.

SHASH2K2

Any Idea what will be capacity of that reactor and how safe that will be? It will take years to mature design of safety features for high capacity reactors. I dont think any other coun try will be there to help us out. we need to do it on our own and hence there wont be any shortcuts.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
LF, looking it from another angle, why break into sweat and worse damage the environment if we can source it from elsewhere even if we had to pay a slightly higher price. We can keep the mine secured for the future.
Much like how the US does with it's oil. The US actually has far more oil reserves than any other country. But it will not drill. Now they say it's because of environment. But actually it is waiting for the rest of the worlds oil to dry up before it starts to drill. Pretty far sighted policy. Need oil? $1000 a barrel. Take it or leave it!!

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Interesting read:-

Named for the Norse god of thunder, thorium is a lustrous silvery-white metal. It's only slightly radioactive; you could carry a lump of it in your pocket without harm. On the periodic table of elements, it's found in the bottom row, along with other dense, radioactive substances — including uranium and plutonium — known as actinides.

Actinides are dense because their nuclei contain large numbers of neutrons and protons. But it's the strange behavior of those nuclei that has long made actinides the stuff of wonder. At intervals that can vary from every millisecond to every hundred thousand years, actinides spin off particles and decay into more stable elements. And if you pack together enough of certain actinide atoms, their nuclei will erupt in a powerful release of energy.

To understand the magic and terror of those two processes working in concert, think of a game of pool played in 3-D. The nucleus of the atom is a group of balls, or particles, racked at the center. Shoot the cue ball — a stray neutron — and the cluster breaks apart, or fissions. Now imagine the same game played with trillions of racked nuclei. Balls propelled by the first collision crash into nearby clusters, which fly apart, their stray neutrons colliding with yet more clusters. Voilè0: a nuclear chain reaction.

Actinides are the only materials that split apart this way, and if the collisions are uncontrolled, you unleash hell: a nuclear explosion. But if you can control the conditions in which these reactions happen — by both controlling the number of stray neutrons and regulating the temperature, as is done in the core of a nuclear reactor — you get useful energy. Racks of these nuclei crash together, creating a hot glowing pile of radioactive material. If you pump water past the material, the water turns to steam, which can spin a turbine to make electricity.

Uranium is currently the actinide of choice for the industry, used (sometimes with a little plutonium) in 100 percent of the world's commercial reactors. But it's a problematic fuel. In most reactors, sustaining a chain reaction requires extremely rare uranium-235, which must be purified, or enriched, from far more common U-238. The reactors also leave behind plutonium-239, itself radioactive (and useful to technologically sophisticated organizations bent on making bombs). And conventional uranium-fueled reactors require lots of engineering, including neutron-absorbing control rods to damp the reaction and gargantuan pressurized vessels to move water through the reactor core. If something goes kerflooey, the surrounding countryside gets blanketed with radioactivity (think Chernobyl). Even if things go well, toxic waste is left over.

Excerpt sourced from : Uranium Is So Last Century — Enter Thorium, the New Green Nuke | Magazine

Regards,
Virendra

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles