India Maoists: Hopes rise for kidnapped official's release

Son of Govinda

BBC News - India Maoists: Hopes rise for kidnapped official's release

Hopes have risen for the release of an Indian official kidnapped by Maoist rebels in Chhattisgarh state after mediators reached an agreement.

The deal to free Alex Paul Menon, who was kidnapped on 21 April, must still be agreed by Maoist commanders.

In exchange, the government has agreed to review all cases of human rights violations in the state.

It is not clear if Maoist demands for the release of jailed supporters have been agreed by the government.

The rebels had earlier set a deadline of 25 April which was extended on Monday to 2 May.

'Goodwill gesture'
"The matter which is of utmost concern to the mediators is the well being of Alex - the young collector who continues to be with the CPI (Maoist), away from his family," the agreement signed between the government and the rebel negotiators said.

"The mediators nominated by the Maoists have agreed as a gesture of goodwill to ensure the safe return of Alex within 48 hours," it said.

The rebels are represented by retired bureaucrat BD Sharma and Professor G Hargopal, a social activist.

The mediators said they had agreed to set up a high-powered committee which would review allegations of human rights abuses lodged by tribes people and Maoist supporters.

Mr Menon is the most senior official of the Indian Administrative Service in Sukma district, part of Bastar region.

Authorities said Mr Menon had gone to Manjhipara village to attend a meeting of local tribes people when Maoist insurgents surrounded the area and opened fire.

Two of Mr Menon's guards were killed and the official was taken away.

Maoists have a strong presence in Chhattisgarh and neighbouring Orissa.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has described them as India's biggest internal security threat.

The rebels say they are fighting for a communist state and for the rights of tribal people and the rural poor.

Son of Govinda

"In exchange, the government has agreed to review all cases of human rights violations in the state."

:rofl:

This made my day. Like a Maoist/Marxist/Communist would know anything about human rights :bplease:

Hopefully the government will finally grow a pair of balls and follow the example of Germany's Freikorps in putting down the Bavarian Soviet Republic and Spartacus League/Spartacist uprising.

Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag
Former IB chief: Maoists won't hurt collector because he is a Christian

April 23, 2012

Will Alex Paul Menon's religion save him from coming to harm at the hands of his Maoist kidnappers?
A former Intelligence Bureau chief tells Sheela Bhatt why he believes it to be the case.

Alex Paul Menon, the district collector of Sukma in Chhattisgarh, who was abducted by Maoists on Saturday, April 21, is unlikely to be hurt by the outlawed rebels, India's foremost expert on the Maoists and a former director of the Intelligence Bureau told Rediff.com

The Maoists are unlikely to harm Menon because he is a Christian, the intelligence guru felt.

Speaking on condition that he would not be identified by name for this report, the former IB chief claimed, "Maoism is a political movement and the Maoists can be as opportunistic as the BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party ), the Congress and other political parties."

"In the tribal areas of India," he explained, "lots of young tribals are converting to Christianity for their personal growth and their family's welfare. The Maoists would never like to be unpopular among this core constituency."

"We should not communalise the issue," the former IB director said, but reasoned "that a study of the politics of the Maoists suggests they will treat the collector well."

"I wish and pray Menon comes home safe," the former IB chief said. "His kidnappers are unlikely to behave like the radical Islamists who have a tendency to displease their own people and community. The Maoists are shrewd and will bargain hard, but not behave recklessly."

"Young Christians are their primary constituency," he added, "and they bank heavily on them in the jungles."

Menon is an Indian Administrative Service officer of the 2006 batch. The Maoists kidnapped him from Majhipara village in the Maoist-controlled Keralapal area, after they killed his bodyguards.

A native of Tirunelveli district in Tamil Nadu, Menon is the first collector of the newly-created Sukma district in Chhattisgarh state and has been reported to be quite pro-active in pushing new projects in one of India's most backward regions.

Former IB chief: Maoists won't hurt collector - Rediff.com India News

10 days back, Former IB said He will be released because he is Christian. Ironically, Sukma collector was released at Chintalnar, the place where Naxals killed 76 CRPF jawans in April 2010

Iamanidiot

Former IB chief: Maoists won't hurt collector because he is a Christian

April 23, 2012

Will Alex Paul Menon's religion save him from coming to harm at the hands of his Maoist kidnappers?
A former Intelligence Bureau chief tells Sheela Bhatt why he believes it to be the case.

Alex Paul Menon, the district collector of Sukma in Chhattisgarh, who was abducted by Maoists on Saturday, April 21, is unlikely to be hurt by the outlawed rebels, India's foremost expert on the Maoists and a former director of the Intelligence Bureau told Rediff.com

The Maoists are unlikely to harm Menon because he is a Christian, the intelligence guru felt.

Speaking on condition that he would not be identified by name for this report, the former IB chief claimed, "Maoism is a political movement and the Maoists can be as opportunistic as the BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party ), the Congress and other political parties."

"In the tribal areas of India," he explained, "lots of young tribals are converting to Christianity for their personal growth and their family's welfare. The Maoists would never like to be unpopular among this core constituency."

"We should not communalise the issue," the former IB director said, but reasoned "that a study of the politics of the Maoists suggests they will treat the collector well."

"I wish and pray Menon comes home safe," the former IB chief said. "His kidnappers are unlikely to behave like the radical Islamists who have a tendency to displease their own people and community. The Maoists are shrewd and will bargain hard, but not behave recklessly."

"Young Christians are their primary constituency," he added, "and they bank heavily on them in the jungles."

Menon is an Indian Administrative Service officer of the 2006 batch. The Maoists kidnapped him from Majhipara village in the Maoist-controlled Keralapal area, after they killed his bodyguards.

A native of Tirunelveli district in Tamil Nadu, Menon is the first collector of the newly-created Sukma district in Chhattisgarh state and has been reported to be quite pro-active in pushing new projects in one of India's most backward regions.

Former IB chief: Maoists won't hurt collector - Rediff.com India News

10 days back, Former IB said He will be released because he is Christian. Ironically, Sukma collector was released at Chintalnar, the place where Naxals killed 76 CRPF jawans in April 2010
Bullshit!! asshole do you associate religion with his release ?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
He has been released or so it appears.

Are the Maoists who captured him Christians that they won't hurt the Collector who is a Christian?

I have not read that anywhere.

Galaxy

Country flag
Go and Ask former Intelligence Bureau chief you ----ing moron!!

I just quoted what was said from Rediff source. Not my view!

bhramos

Country flag
He has been released or so it appears.

Are the Maoists who captured him Christians that they won't hurt the Collector who is a Christian?

I have not read that anywhere.
he is true... christians wont get hurt, as i leave very near of that place.. missionaries give funds to Maoists... so that they can roam freely in forests...

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I would not contest that the missionaries work in close concert for uplifting the tribal population.

I won't contest that they do it to also ensure the tribals convert.

I have seen missionaries work in tribal belt and I will concede that their ways are not always appreciable.

But would the missionaries have such a control of Maoists, who are not Christians, and even if they are, they are ideology driven and not religion driven?!

But then the IB would know the issue better!

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles