India loses title of top weapons importer

karn

Country flag
Saudi Arabia overtakes India to become top defence importer: IHS - The Economic Times

DUBAI: Saudi Arabia has dislodged India to become the world's top defence importer in 2014, while China inched closer to its Asian neighbour at third position, research company IHS said today in a report.

US continues to be the top defence exporter followed by Russia, France and UK, the ranking unchanged from 2013, the information agency said in its annual defence report.

Last edited:

karn

Country flag
I hate to be a wet blanket but this is probably because of delayed acquisitions . Now Chinook , apache , sikorsky, c 130 and of course the Rafale are all lined up and will easily push India to number one again .

prohumanity

Country flag
Make in India.....No business with defense companies who do not want to transfer technology. If India can send rocket to Mars..it can make high tech weapons too. Political will is what is needed.

pmaitra

I hate to be a wet blanket but this is probably because of delayed acquisitions . Now Chinook , apache , sikorsky, c 130 and of course the Rafale are all lined up and will easily push India to number one again .
India should got for Apache and C-130, summarily ditch the Chinook and Sikorsky, and on Rafale, just get a few off the shelf, and ditch the ToT part.

Reactions: Kay

Vishwarupa

Country flag
Saudi Arabia overtakes India to become top defence importer: IHS - The Economic Times

DUBAI: Saudi Arabia has dislodged India to become the world's top defence importer in 2014, while China inched closer to its Asian neighbour at third position, research company IHS said today in a report.

US continues to be the top defence exporter followed by Russia, France and UK, the ranking unchanged from 2013, the information agency said in its annual defence report.
No where in the article its mentioned as the decline is because of Make in India. Still we import a lot!!

karn

Country flag
India should got for Apache and C-130, summarily ditch the Chinook and Sikorsky, and on Rafale, just get a few off the shelf, and ditch the ToT part.
I think that the Apache should be ditched . The is no desperate need for and attack helicopter and the army/airforce can make do with LCH and rudhra until LAH is ready . Sikorskies on the other hand are gravely needed as navy is severely short of anti sub/naval recon helis. Your solution would make the deal cheaper but bump up the "import" cost. Chinook I am not so sure about ..
No where in the article its mentioned as the decline is because of Make in India. Still we import a lot!!
You are asking the wrong person.

grampiguy

Being number two is much better... Chinooks are fine. C-130J can be manufactured in India if ordered in better numbers. Sikorsky Blackhawk and Apache only with TOT and make in India.

power_monger

Country flag
With things going current way i see LCH getting IOC around sep 2015 or jan 2016.I believe HAL can pull a good job here as they already have manufacturing experience with Dhruv and Rudra.I think we can do without Apache.

Aravind Sanjeev

I heard India restored the position as largest defense importer. Anyway, it's a position of shame. India need to manufacture itself and boost economy.
If we keeps on purchasing others military goods, our military will never be better than them. We have the advantage of numbers in our country.

GUNS-N- ROSES

Make in India.....No business with defense companies who do not want to transfer technology. If India can send rocket to Mars..it can make high tech weapons too. Political will is what is needed.
right mate. however we need to ensure that company share critical technology with us. it has been observed that company are ready to share ToT but they withhold critical info regarding technology. so wee need to draft our ToT clauses well in the contracts

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles