India looking to host football IPL

Blackwater

But don't you think those famous international players who are going to play in Indian Super League will show us how to play european style of football. Most football fans in India don't know much about Indian football. They will talk more about English Premier League, Spanish La Liga and Eredivisie.

Indian team will also be able to beat top football teams from arab countries. That will give a huge boost to national prestige.

most of good player earn more in their clubs than indian football IPL can offer. y will they come to India, only tuchu puchu will come

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Dempo may bid for Goa franchise
Marcus Mergulhao,TNN | Mar 18, 2014

LINK: timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/top-stories/Dempo-may-bid-for-Goa-franchise/articleshow/32223324.cms

PANAJI: The Dempo group of companies has shown growing interest in the Indian Super League (ISL), organized by IMG-Reliance, and are preparing a bid for the Goa franchise.

IMG-Reliance along with Star India have invited bids through the Invitation To Bid or ITB documents for nine cities - Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Goa, Guwahati, Kochi, Kolkata, Mumbai and Pune - of which the top eight will get the nod.

"As I said in the past, if at all we look at the Indian Super League, it will be as a commercial opportunity. We are yet to get the bid document but at some stage I intend to get the bid document. We will see how it goes once we have the bid document in hand," Dempo chairman Shrinivas Dempo told TOI.

The tender document costs 5 lakh and the base price has been fixed at 120 crore over a term of 10 years.

"I am told that the bid amount for all the centres is the same. I am a little bit concerned with the market absorbability of Goa. That's something we need to have a closer look at," said Dempo, who is the vice president of All India Football Federation and president of Goa Football Association.

Dempo has been India's most successful team of the decade, winning five National titles and almost every tournament worth its name. With Dempo pitching for the ISL, there are fears that the current I-League squad may not get the attention, and funding, it has got in the past. Dempo, however, allayed such fears.

"I think these are two separate things. We are very focused and determined that we will sustain the I-League club. That's the core of Indian football. I believe there are some concerns that ISL will take over the I-League.

"We need to make the I-League stronger and at whatever forum I am, I will make the right noises. If at all any of my group companies decide to bid for the (ISL) franchise, it will be a separate entity. There may, however, be common synergies which can help each other," explained Dempo.

Apart from Dempo, another club from Western India is expected to bid for a franchise. Bengaluru FC were also reported to be keen on the Bangalore franchise but the I-League leaders have since denied reports.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Sachin Tendulkar could be the face of IMG-Reliance's Indian Super League

LINK: sportskeeda.com/football/sachin-tendulkar-img-reliance-indian-super-league/

Retired Indian legend Sachin Tendulkar could be the face of IMG-Reliance's Indian Super League, according to Mumbai Mirror.

Nita Ambani of Reliance Foundation had set the first brick to build this IPL-like football league in the country, and they are now trying to rope in the biggest sporting icon in the country to endorse the football league which is scheduled to start in September 2014.

"We have purchased the tender but we have not finalised on Sachin's role. We have not had a chance to talk to him," said one of the insiders in the Indian Super League.

This could very well be possible given the close relationship between Sachin Tendulkar and Nita Ambani from their Mumbai Indians days.

The football league will see teams based in various cities such as Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Goa, Guwahati, Kochi, Kolkata, Mumbai and Pune of which only the top eight will be selected.

Moreover, Tendulkar is also being considered to be the face of a proposed international league of tennis called the International Premier Tennis League

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
ISL football organisers receive 'unprecedented' 30 bids
PTI | Mar 23, 2014

LINK: timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/indian-super-league/top-stories/ISL-football-organisers-receive-unprecedented-30-bids/articleshow/32560737.cms

NEW DELHI: Anticipation around the Indian Super League football seems to be building with the organisers receiving positive response from about 30 interested parties, even as the deadline for submitting the bid documents has been extended by two days to March 26 and 27.

The original dates for submission of bid documents were March 24 (on Monday) and Tuesday.

"Between 3rd to 21st March 2014, League organisers have recorded about 30 'Invitation to Bid' (ITB) document purchase. In terms of the numbers, this is by far the highest level of interest that any similar franchise-based sports property has garnered in India," tournament organisers IMG-Reliance said in a statement.

Some of the big names from the country's corporate world, Bollywood biggies and present sports team owners have come forward with a wish to be part of the event that promises big-ticket action.

The league was to begin in January but had to be postponed owing to scheduling problem and lack of a window.

Promising to revolutionise the sport in the country, the league has the backing of All India Football Federation, and is likely to see big names such as former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke, former Argentina striker Hernan Crespo and former England forward Michael Owen.

The nine cities in the reckoning are Bangalore, Chennai, Dehli, Goa, Guwahati, Kochi, Kolkata, Mumbai and Pune. Eight cities will be shortlisted.

According to sources, each team will have to present a robust business plan that includes developing grassroots talent in their city and having an academy by the next five years. The ISL also aims to reach to one million school kids in the country.

"The mandate for winning a city team in the Indian Super League had a novelty factor wherein it's not only based on the highest financial bid, but also on the bidders' proposal of a sound plan for developing football in the catchment area they wish to bid.

"This plan would also form part of the agreement that each franchise would sign with the League, and would be expected to adhere to it."

"The bid document requires an extensive groundwork which needs to be undertaken before the submission. It involves a robust business proposal and a committed five-year grassroot/ community development plan starting with 1 million in-school kids engagement plan, age group specific training, youth team and leading upto having a full-time football academy," the statement said further.

It was also said that each of the franchise owners will have to spend Rs 2 crore on grassroot development every year.

The delay in submitting bids was due to the "demanding documentation".

The winning bids announcement will take place in the second week of April. Ernst & Young, the advisory firm, has been entrusted the responsibility of evaluating the bid documents, following which the winning participants will be announced by first week of April.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Film stars, IPL teams keen on Indian Super League
Biju Babu Cyriac, TNN | Mar 22, 2014

LINK: timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/indian-super-league/top-stories/Film-stars-IPL-teams-keen-on-Indian-Super-League/articleshow/32441681.cms

BANGALORE: Bollywood stars Abhishek Bachchan and Ranbir Kapoor and IPL teams led by Shah Rukh Khan's Kolkata Knight Riders and Rajasthan Royals are some of the big names in the fray to buy franchises in the Indian Super League (ISL) football tournament scheduled to be held during the September-November window this year.

The big names figure among more than 30 firms - including top I-league clubs Bengaluru FC and Salgaocar SC - which have picked up bid documents for the eight-team ISL which promises big-ticket action in various centres across the country.

"The last date to pick up the bid documents, at a cost of Rs 5 lakh, ended on Friday. The list of interested parties includes Bollywood biggies Abhishek Bachchan, Ranbir Kapoor and John Abraham. Other IPL teams in the fray are Royal Challengers Bangalore, Delhi Daredevils and the Sunrisers Hyderabad," sources told TOI.

Cricket icons Sunil Gavaskar and Sourav Ganguly are also keen on investing in the league, it is learnt.

A few other Bollywood stars too are likely to be part of ISL. "Quite a few of them may not want to go on their own but would like to be part of a consortium which will bid for the franchise," sources said.

ISL, which was initially opposed by I-league teams, has now garnered interest from five top clubs. Besides BFC and Salgaocar, Dempo SC, Pune FC and Shillong Lajong are also keen to bag a franchise. Nine cities are in the race to host the tournament of which eight winning fanchises will be picked.

"The dates to submit the bid documents are March 24 and 25. The applications will then be scrutinized by Ernst & Young to decide the winners which will be announced in the second week of April," sources added.

Putting together the best bid amount (base price being Rs 12 crore) may not be enough for any group to win the franchise as the Ernst & Young team will assess the applicants based on different parameters including facilities, funding etc. "Each team will have to present a five-year agenda to develop grassroots talent in their city. The ISL aims to reach to one million school kids in the country.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Salman Khan shows interest in ISL
Dwaipayan Datta,TNN | Mar 24, 2014

LINK: timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/indian-super-league/top-stories/Salman-Khan-shows-interest-in-ISL/articleshow/32572434.cms

CHENNAI: The Indian Super League football may shape up into quite a star-studded event on and off the field. After Ranbir Kapoor and Abhishek Bachchan, it's understood that Salman Khan, too has shown interest in the league.

Salman is part of a Mumbai-based consortium which has picked up the bid documents for owning a team in the league. "After Ranbir and Abhishek, now that Salman has also shown interest is a big plus for the league," a source close to the developments said.

It was also learnt that Rendezvous, group of builders who owned the erstwhile IPL franchise Kochi Tuskers, too have picked up the bid documents. They are one of the 30 parties who have shown interest in the league.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Sunil Chhetri not sure of his participaton in inaugural Indian Super League
Press Trust of India, Tuesday, 25 March 2014

LINK: sports.ndtv.com/football/news/222361-sunil-chhetri-not-sure-of-his-participaton-in-inaugural-indian-super-league

MUMBAI: Indian football captain Sunil Chhetri is of the opinion that participation of retired international football players like Hernan Crespo and Michael Owen in the Indian Super League will help lift the standard of football in the country. "If we talk about the technical aspect, it will be great for us to gain the experience. What is important is the level of football, the standard of coaching which will help football grow. It's obvious they wouldn't be playing as the same way they used to, but it will be important as they would share their experience which will be huge for us. But more importantly, it will be about coaching," Chhetri told reporters here on Tuesday.

The striker is excited about the Indian Premier League-style football league, but was unsure whether he would be able to play in the new league as he has a contract with Bengaluru FC for three years. "I am very much excited. I don't know the dynamics yet. I don't know if Bengaluru FC is going to buy a franchise and I don't know what my future is going to be since I have a three-year contract with Bengaluru FC. I hope all the issues are sorted out. The tournament is going to happen and I wish them all luck. I don't know whether the Jindals would buy a franchise," he said.

Event promoters IMG-Reliance have said that at least 30 bids have been received for nine city franchises and the process has been extended till March 27 on the request of some bid document buyers.

Chhetri conceded he was earlier sceptical about the new franchise-based league because of the rift between the I-League clubs and AIFF's marketing and commercial partners IMG-Reliance. "Last time I was apprehensive, because I didn't know what was happening. Till now also I don't know in what way it is going to happen. Hence I restrained myself from commenting. IMG-R is a big company and among the biggest in the world. I am happy as a big company is associated with the league," he said.

The 29-year old hoped that the Indian Super League would have a positive impact on the I-League and felt the two leagues will have to be scheduled in such a way that there was no overlapping. "I hope it's (impact) positive. It has been here for many years and I-League is here to stay. It's the right kind of (scheduling) mix that is needed for the I-League and the Indian Super League. You can't have two different leagues going on at the same time. It can never happen for Indian football," Chhetri said.

"There has to be a right way for merging one end to another's (beginning) and now everything is positive. Many franchises will be coming in and we have also won the bid for the 2017 U-17 World Cup, so everything is going well for Indian football," he said.

Asked how football can draw crowd to the stadium and get more people to watch the game, he said better facilities have to be provided to the public, especially women. "The kind of viewership we have in our country is massive. We just need the right channeling in making people come to the ground. It's a shame that even if I want to get my mother, sister and girlfriend to the ground, there are no good facilities for the women.

"In India there can never be a problem about viewership, because the Champions League matches attract very high TRPs, so kids are ready to watch matches at 1.30 or two in the morning. We just need to make our grounds better and provide (better) facilities to women," he said.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
ISL: Sourav Ganguly, Atletico Madrid come together!
TNN | Mar 29, 2014

LINK: timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/indian-super-league/top-stories/ISL-Sourav-Ganguly-Atletico-Madrid-come-together/articleshow/32870093.cms

NEW DELHI: Leading La Liga club Atletico Madrid, the current table toppers in the Spanish Liga, have bid for the Kolkata franchise of the upcoming Indian Super League (ISL) along with former India cricket captain Sourav Ganguly.

It is learnt that Atletico picked up the bid document separately as did Ganguly. However, after studying the bid and showing interest in the league, they approached the former cricketer to form a consortium to which the latter agreed.

A source in the know of developments told TOI that both the prospective bidders - Atletico and Ganguly - were aware of what each party was capable of bringing to the table and agreed to get together.

In another major development surrounding the Indian Super League, actor John Abraham and I-League football club Shillong Lajong have bid together for the city of Guwahati in Assam.

Former India football star Baichung Bhutia, who will now be contesting the general elections from Darjeeling in West Bengal, is also learnt to be partnering Lajong and Abraham. However, this could not be separately confirmed.

Meanwhile, batting legend Sachin Tendulkar is learnt to have shown interest in the Kochi franchise and is involved with Prasad Potluri-owned PVP Ventures to bid for the Kerala city. Tendulkar's interest in Kochi, however, could not be independently confirmed.

Friday was the last day for all those who had picked up the ISL tender documents to buy a franchise to submit their respective bids. A total of 30 bid documents were sold.

However, TOI has learnt that not all interested parties have decided to submit their bids individually. Some of the potential bidders got together to form consortiums - like Ganguly and Atletico - and have submitted a joint bid.

Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan, whose company Red Chillies Entertainment owns the Indian Premier League franchise Kolkata Knight Riders, has also made a bid for Delhi, sources informed. Given Ganguly's popularity in Kolkata and the involvement of Atletico Madrid in Ganguly's football aspirations seem to have made Khan's team play a safer game.

Samir Manchanda of Den Networks in Delhi, real estate company Triaxis of Bangalore, UK-based company Emerging Media which owns the IPL franchise Rajasthan Royals and Vivek Venugopal of the Elite Group (who had a stake in the Kochi franchise of the IPL) are also among those who are learnt to be in the fray to buy franchises.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Thierry Henry, Michael Owen may play in Indian Super League football

LINK: sunday-guardian.com/news/thierry-henry-michael-owen-may-play-in-indian-super-league-football
SAJI CHACKO New Delhi | 29th Mar 2014

'If Henry comes to play in the ISL it will be a shot in the arm for Indian football. He is one of the best players in the world.'

Some of the world's biggest names in football including French superstar Thierry Henry and England star Michael Owen and are all set to play in the Indian Super League (ISL), a multi million dollar football league, which kicks off later this year. ISL's bidding process was completed on Monday and the auction process will be completed in May. IMG Reliance and Star India are the major sponsors of the tournament.

A source in the ISL told The Sunday Guardian that Thierry Henry has shown a great deal of interest in the league: "He (Henry) is almost a certainty in this league. He has a lot of interest in India and is eager to come here and play. You will get to know the exact details of this in the days to come."

The 32-year-old Henry is one of France's greatest football players. He was a member of the 1998 World Cup winning French team and a triumphant member of the UEFA 2000 and 2003 Confed Cup. He is also the highest goal scorer for France.

"If Henry comes to play in the ISL it will be a shot in the arm for Indian football. After all, he is one of the best players in the world and a great multi-racial ambassador of the game," said a football player who has represented the country. It is learnt that Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Delhi, Guwahati, Bangalore, Kochi and Goa are the likely venues that will be up for sale in the auction.

"As of now, these above mentioned cities are in the hunt. The tender document costs Rs 5 lakh and the base price has been fixed at Rs 120 crore for a period of 10 years. The bids have been sought from eight cities, Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Goa, Guwahati, Kochi, Kolkata and Mumbai. Of these, the top eight will be selected. At one point of time, Hyderabad was also considered but was dropped because of political instability in the region," said the source in the organising committee.

The "invitation to tender" document has already been floated by IMG-Rand. The base price to buy a franchise is learned to be around Rs 25 crore. To promote and broadcast the league in India and across the world, IMG-R has entered into a 10-year joint venture with Star India. This deal is estimated to be around Rs 1,500 crore.

Each team has to have at least 22 players: eight international and 14 domestic players from the national team, clubs and the under-23 and -19 groups. Of the eight international players in a team, one will be a marquee player. That marquee will be an international player like Michael Owen or Argentine Hernan Crespo. Even in terms of coaches, the franchises are going to have world class former stars. Ex Manchester United goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel and Marcel Dessailly have been contacted for this purpose. The source said that film star Shah Rukh Khan may bid for the team from Kolkata. "Yes I can confirm Mr Shah Rukh Khan is in the reckoning to bid for the Kolkata team. We are quite happy to have him as the owner of a team. It would be a big boost for ISL."

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Mumbai based group bids for Kochi ISL team
Rayson P Tennyson & Prasanth Menon, TNN | Mar 29, 2014

LINK: timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/top-stories/Mumbai-based-group-bids-for-Kochi-ISL-team/articleshow/32906555.cms

KOCHI: Kochi's hopes of having a team in Indian Super League, the newly proposed football league of AIFF that is set to be launched later this year, received a big boost with Mysports, a company based out of Mumbai submitting a bid for the city. They have marked Kochi as their first choice for an ISL team when the date for submission of bids ended on Friday.

It is learnt that Mysports is a consortium consisting of a prominent private limited company based out of Mumbai, Sporty Solutions- a sports marketing company who were partners of Indian Badminton League and Telugu filmstar Nagarjuna. Indian cricketer Yuvraj Singh has in principle agreed to be the brand ambassador of this consortium who is bidding for Kochi. It is also reliably learnt that the consortium has on its board some members of Kochi Tuskers Kerala, the now defunct IPL team.

The organisers of the tournament, AIFF and IMG-Reliance, have sought bids for nine cities. But only the top bidders for eight cities will have teams in ISL.

"We learnt that there was not much interest for the Kochi franchise of ISL. We know that people of Kerala love football and we didn't want them to be deprived of some top quality football that will be played in the country. We have been associated with sports based activities in Kerala earlier and we had no hesitation putting Kochi as our primary choice for having a team in ISL," said a top official of Mysports who didn't wish to be named.

Mysports has also got the support from Kolkata football giants, Mohun Bagan, who have promised them with all help with regard to footballing infrastructure for the franchise. "We had requested for support from Eagles FC, Kerala but we didn't get any positive response from them. That is the reason why we sought the help of Mohun Bagan and they are backing us in the bid now.

The proposed league is likely to feature some prominent international players including Dwight Yorke, Fredrik Ljungberg, Robert Pires, Louis Saha, and Hernan Crespo.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
RR back out, KKR, GMR place bids for Indian Super League
By Vijay Tagore, Bangalore Mirror Bureau | Apr 2, 2014

LINK: bangaloremirror.com/sports/cricket/RR-back-out-KKR-GMR-place-bids-for-Indian-Super-League/articleshow/33090467.cms

Rajasthan Royals have backed out but Kolkata Knight Riders and GMR, the promoters of Delhi Daredevils IPL team, have taken a plunge into the theatre of football. Both KKR and GM have placed bids for the Indian Super League (ISL) which is scheduled to start sometime in September. The bids closed on March 27.

While KKR are interested in developing a football team in Kolkata, their second city choice apparently is Delhi. GMR is looking to have football team in the capital. The Royals, who had initially dabbled with the idea of the starting a team in Guwahati, have concluded that ISL may not be such a lucrative sporting property.

Royal Challengers Bangalore is the other IPL team that is believed to be interested in diversifying into soccer. It is not clear if they have put in a bid for a team but unconfirmed sources claim the Bangalore-based IPL franchise is joining forces with a consortium to be part of the ISL.

For KKR, it was a late call to jump into the ISL fray. They engaged a team of professionals to assess the financial viability of the IPL-style football league before taking the final call. One is not sure what where the inputs of the professionals were but it is understood that the initial years in the ISL will be quite turbulent.

A franchise is expected to incur an estimated a loss of Rs 50 crore in the first three years with Rs 30 crore deficit in the very first year itself. The economics of the league favour a long player who has the perseverance and patience to bear the scant financial dividends.

Proper returns from investment could be realised after five-six years and the investor will be required to sustain through the initial phases of economic setbacks.

KKR, of course, have that element of sentimental attachment with Kolkata and Shah Rukh Khan's determination to run a football team in the city has convinced the KKR management to go for the league. So there they go.

The KKR's jump pits them against Sourav Ganguly-fronted consortium of which Spanish team Athletico Madrid is also a part. The ownership of the franchise will be known only after validation of the bids.

ISL promoters IMG-Reliance, in collaboration with All-India Football Federation (AIFF), have engaged Ernst & Young, an audit firm of international repute, to do the validation of the bidders before the ownership of the city franchises are announced.

It is understood the number of bids received were much less than the tender documents sold for the property (34). Unconfirmed sources say about 14 bids have been received but one need not be surprised if that number is a little smaller. Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Guwahati, Goa, Chennai, Pune and Kochin are the cities up for grabs and the top eight bidders will get to own the teams in the cities of their choice.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Mumbai Indians have not bid for Indian Super League football franchise
IANS, Apr 04, 2014

LINK: ibnlive.in.com/news/mumbai-indians-have-not-bid-for-indian-super-league-football-franchise/462584-5-21.html

New Delhi: At a time when the apex court has taken a serious view of a cricket board official's conflict of interest in the ownership of an Indian Premier League (IPL) team, another team, Mumbai Indians, has decided against bidding for a franchise in the forthcoming football Indian Super League (ISL).

"Mumbai Indians owners have not put in a bid because IMG-Reliance has been granted the master rights of the ISL to maintain the highest standards of corporate governance," an IMG Reliance source told IANS Thursday from Mumbai.

Bidding for the city-franchises of the IMG-Reliance promoted ISL, backed by the All India Football Federation (AIFF), closed March 27. Mumbai Indians owners IndiaWin Sports is a group company of Mukesh Ambani-owned Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL).

IPL franchises, Shah Rukh Khan's Kolkata Knight Riders and GMR, the promoters of Delhi Daredevils, have both placed bids for the ISL.
Another bidder is a Sourav Ganguly-fronted consortium, which includes the Spanish football club Atletico Madrid.

The source said ISL, to be launched in September, had received 14 bids against the purchase of about 30 'Invitation to Bid' (ITB) documents.
Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Guwahati, Goa, Chennai, Pune and Kochi are the franchises up for auction, and the top eight bidders will get to own the teams in the cities of their choice.

IMG-Reliance, in collaboration with AIFF, has engaged consultants Ernst & Young to evaluate the bids before the ownership of the franchises are announced in the second week of April.

The football league has a clause that insists on corporate social responsibility of owners.

"The mandate for winning a city team in the ISL is not only based on the highest financial bid, but also on the bidders' proposal of a sound plan for developing football in the catchment area they wish to bid," a source in the organisation told IANS.

"The bidder has to commit to a community development plan that includes promoting grassroots talent in their city and an academy in the next five years. These key clauses would be part of the deal," he added.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly foray into football, win ISL bids
Press Trust of India | Mumbai | April 13, 2014 4:09 pm

LINK: indianexpress.com/article/sports/football/sachin-tendulkar-sourav-ganguly-foray-into-football-win-isl-bids/

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Indian Super League will spell doom for Indian football: Valanka
TNN | Apr 13, 2014, 12.54 AM IST

LINK: timesofindia.indiatimes.com/City/Goa/Indian-Super-League-will-spell-doom-for-Indian-football-Valanka/articleshow/33673538.cms

PANAJI: A lot changes in a year. Or were there?

India will soon have a new prime minister, Sachin Tendulkar has retired and Manchester United's legendary match-winning skills are fast diminishing.

But there are some things that never change. Valanka Alemao's avowed opposition to the Indian Super League, for example.

To be organized later this year by IMG-Reliance, marketing partners of the All India Football Federation (AIFF), the Indian Super League has evoked strong response from Bollywood stars and top industrialists. It will, organizers say, change the way football is viewed in this part of the world, but Valanka, CEO of I-League champions Churchill Brothers, isn't ready to jump on the bandwagon.

"Tell me what has changed? They have the same money-driven plan, ageing players and a tournament that has no sanctity. Of what use is a tournament that has no promotion or relegation system," asked Valanka, who has made her opposition to the tournament known at every possible stage.

In the past year since Valanka gathered enough courage to take on the might of the AIFF and IMG-Reliance, she said equity and "other extremely tempting" offers have been made.

"I have been saying all along that the interest from corporates in (Indian) football is good. But can anyone tell me why are they not tying up with existing clubs, rather than float these ridiculous idea of a super league. This is such a weak-structured tournament that it's bound to fail," she said.

The I-League, in its new avatar has been around for seven years, and its previous avatar, the National Football League, for 17 years. Yet, neither the clubs nor their football, have moved ahead a bit.

"The fault should be placed at the feet of AIFF. Look at Japan and how their league has been successful even though it was started a few years earlier (in 1992). They had a vision. In India, we have the Lakshya 2022 project but everyone knows it's only on paper.

"The AIFF tells us to adopt best practices from Asia and introduced the club licensing criteria. We follow them religiously but what are they giving us in return? Television revenues are not shared, we invest crores every year yet don't even get 10 per cent in return," she said.

Valanka, along with other I-League club officials, had in the past a meeting with former secretary (sports) Keshav Chandra, urging him not to allow the ISL to be held at the Nehru Stadium in Fatorda ahead of AFC Cup. This season, that's unlikely to happen, though, as the Dempo-Dattaraj Salgaocar-Videocon joint bid suggests. Worst still, some clubs could soon jump ship.

"None of us are vocal and that's why the AIFF is dictating terms. I cannot put a gun to the head of other clubs," said Valanka.

Valanka remained convinced that the Indian Super League will eventually sound the death-knell for football in India.

"Believe me, this is one of the most detrimental tournament India could ever have. It's going to kill a sleeping giant without allowing it a chance to wake up and get out of bed. Some retired foreign players will probably laugh their way to the bank but without a strong youth developmental base, Indian football will crumble," she said.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Praful Patel: ISL is an unstoppable force which will change Indian football
13-Apr-2014 4:04:00 PM

LINK: goal.com/en-india/news/136/india/2014/04/13/4749868/praful-patel-isl-is-an-unstoppable-force-which-will-change

The Indian FA president heaped praise on their commercial and marketing partners for conceptualizing the new league"¦

The All India Football Federation (AIFF) president Praful Patel hailed the announcement of the eight franchisee owners in the Indian Super League (ISL) and referred it as a 'special day'.

"No period in India's long and proud history in football is more exciting than today. This day will go down in memory as a special day for Indian football as eight high profile celebrities & corporates are being introduced into the sport through Indian Super League. With IMG-Reliance & Star providing the perfect foundation, the League has become an unstoppable force which would change Indian football," said Patel.

Each franchisee has to undertake grassroot activities which shall go a long way in popularizing the game amongst the masses.

"I hope the grassroots obligations of the franchises gives a huge push to the development of the game. Along with the world class infrastructure that is being created for the Under-17 FIFA World Cup, and AIFF's expression of interest to host 2015 and 2016 FIFA Club World Cup, Indian football is definitely turning a new leaf in its history," he added.

Kushal Das, the general secretary of the AIFF backed the ISL and believes that it has the perfect recipe to succeed.

"I have always believed Indian football needs an innovative and experimental format like Indian Super League to bring the fans back to the stadiums. Today, with the kind of owners and organisers that we have behind Indian Super League, we have the perfect recipe to a successful professional tournament. I wish the Indian Super League all the best," he mentioned.

EXPERT

well everybody here hopes that this would be a success, but this will not give strength to football in the country, unless and until some hard step taken .

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Ranbir Kapoor explains why he joined the ISL bandwagon
13-Apr-2014 7:36:00 PM

LINK: goal.com/en-india/news/136/india/2014/04/13/4750233/ranbir-kapoor-explains-why-he-joined-the-isl-bandwagon?ICID=SP

The Bollywood star is pleased to be part of the newly launched league which shall help popularize the game"¦

Ranbir Kapoor has been named as the co-owner of the Mumbai franchisee along with famous celebrity chartered accountant, Bimal Parekh in the upcoming Indian Super League (ISL).

An avid football fan, Kapoor would surely help grab more eyeballs for the Mumbai team in the ISL given his popularity amongst the youngsters.

"It is a moment of great pride for me to be a part of the Indian Super League and to represent the vibrant city of Mumbai. Football has never been far away from my daily life since childhood, and now as a partner in the Indian Super League, I am looking forward to translate my passion into contributing to the growth of the sport," said the 30-year old Kapoor clan.

Every franchisee are obligated to do certain amount of grassroot development in the assigned city. Kapoor mentioned that was the primary reason why he chose to attach himself with the much talked about ISL.

"I firmly believe in the grassroots and community development program designed by the league organisers IMG Reliance, to popularize the game and that's one thing which excited me to be part of this dream," he said.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
AIFF desperately needed financial support for its Lakshya 2022 World Cup project and 2017 U-17 FIFA World Cup. IMG-Reliance gave them advice about starting a IPL-style football league.

I doubt ISL teams will participate in international matches such as AFC Champions League. For that they will have to follow rules laid down by FIFA and relegation of teams etc..

Maybe corporate sector wanted their own football franchise or team which would give them excellent financial returns without any rules and regulations from FIFA. Indian Super League is a private matter for development of football in India.

Now why would top industrialists such as Harshavardhan Neotia and Sanjeev Goenka would invest in ISL when there were already successful clubs in I-league such as East Bengal, Mohun Bagan, Bengaluru FC etc? Business is all about taking risks, investing money where financial returns are guaranteed. They saw what IPL can do to generate money among Indian sports fans so they decided to take the plunge as usual.

samuel1211

That's a great news! this will give lot of opportunity to the local teams like Chennai FC to participate in the matches. For many who don't know much about Chennai FC is a football team owned by Varun Manian of the radiance group and the team has some amazing set of players who are soon gonna play for international clubs.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles