India likely to acquire Tu-22M3 Supersonic Bombers

Yumdoot

Here fished out something for you guys. Welcome in advance.

But just remember 2 things, while imagining the circles in the Indian context:
1) The practical range of Tu-22-M3 (which is expected to be advanced to M5 standards in future) is accepted in US mil circles at around 6800 km with 6 tons of warload considering only internal fuel. Needless to say this is not the lo-lo-lo range which I expect to be just above 2000 km.
2) For every 3 brahmos fired from such a plane you will free up a frigate or a destroyer from its duties. And Indian Navy Aviation squadron is I think of 8 aircrafts for bombers. These freed up naval resources are your main resource to take on the PLAN submarine hunt challenge.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
do we "make in India" any of these :
S-400,
Tu-22M3 ,
Akula-2 SSN,
T-90 MBTs

S 400 not yet but our AAD and PAD is well on their way to be the BMD as main anti Missile and secondary air defense role opposed to S 400' s role of primary air defense and secondary BMD.
TU 22 M3 - No indian close or remote substitute is available.
Akula- Arihant is Akula
T 90 MBT- We make in India Russian version may be an upgraded version.

Country flag
We cannot without their permission. The Russian bombers are flying to Syria via Iran and Iraq, and avoiding Armenia, Turkey, Georgia, and Azerbaijan. Similarly, the Russian cruise missiles launched from the Caspian Fleet also avoid these countries. If a country allows transit to military aircraft for attacking another country, then the attacked country can claim that the transit allowing country has declared war. So, Vietnam and Thailand will not want to allow such flights to IAF and irk PRC.
So many of Indian smaller neighbors have unofficially declared war on India? Allowing Chinese soldiers. Subs, string of pearls etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suny6611

Country flag
S 400 not yet but our AAD and PAD is well on their way to be the BMD as main anti Missile and secondary air defense role opposed to S 400' s role of primary air defense and secondary BMD.
TU 22 M3 - No indian close or remote substitute is available.
Akula- Arihant is Akula
T 90 MBT- We make in India Russian version may be an upgraded version.

there is no conformation by us ...... so it could be that 1000 T90 could be licence bld here.
Russians have the new TU 160 (?) so could be the TU 22 M3 be bld only for us & that also just 4 .... no not possible ... its not economical at all .

they already using a N sub. we r only leasing it.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
do we "make in India" any of these :
S-400,
Tu-22M3 ,
Akula-2 SSN,
T-90 MBTs
the S-400 should be made by the Ambani's given their association with ALMAZ Antey , the T-90s will be made by HVF AVADI. Rest will come as CBU.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I wonder when is this import frenzy going to stop, if ever.

Here we talk about S-400. My question is why can not AAD and Swordfish be developed into a S-400 kind of system? What is there besides long range anti air missile and a long range multi mode radar that a S-400 kind of system has? With dedicated military satellites in place, some spy satellites in orbit as well what section of building block that we are lacking? Considering any purchase in India takes its own fatty time, sometimes as much as a development period, isn' t it more logical for us to go for our own version of S-400 instead of buying it at hefty price while negotiating it over atleast half a decade?
A Single type of SAM never makes a good AD system, it's always a mix to ensure any single type of jammer is never enough. As I've stated weve embarked on possibly the largest consolidation of our air defence since 47. By the end of 2025 we will have incorporated 4-5 Super swordfish LR-Radar to a network comprising all Civilian & military radars(this includes shipborne & AWACS) Giving us an eye deep into the TAR and right across Pakistan into Iran as well.(see graphic below)

These will be the eyes of a formidable SAM network with overlapping kill radius.
BMD- AAD/PAD
LRSAM-S400
MRSAM-BARAK-8
SRSAM-AKASH+S125NEVA/PECHORA+2K12KUB(upgraded)
QRSAM-SPYDER+9K33OSA(upgraded)+9K35STRELA(upgraded to SOSNA-R)
SPAAG-TUNGUSHKA+PANTSYR(alongwith S400)+ Future SPAAG
AAA- L70 upgraded + Skyshield

This will buy us time to develop our own LRSAM systems as well.

T-90 purchase does not even qualifies for above explanation. It is outright criminal to buy T-90 or any MBT of this class when we have a ready MBT claimed as superior to T-90 and also all the prerequisits to develop a T-90 class MBT if necessary.
There still remain massive operational constraints to deploying Arjuns, sometimes we think of armored regiments as tanks alone and forget that tanks are but the tip of the spear there are a lot of trucks,tank carriers, railway wagons, maintenance depots, trained manpower * ancillaries that comprise the shaft of that spear. The IA operates a massive tank force that will need to be massively overhauled in all the terms quited above if we are to switchover completely to Arjuns, this will take time and money both of which we have in short supply. The T-90 will bridge the gap until we are logistically sound enough to deploy more Arjuns.

T-22M will be an interesting purchase. But a MKI with mid air refueling can very much do same job. To me submarines are more suitable for sneak attacks on China's east coast than a dedicated missile carrier in air. But still it will a good addition.
Sometimes the Enemy needs to see that you have a big stick, visual impact counts. There is another thing very interesting here The Journal of Electronic Defense edition of 2001 mentioned a possible buy of 4 Tu22m3 as well. combined with these 4 it could be a full maritime strike squadron.

Akulas should be welcomed whole heartedly. They are needed as our own SSNs will take a decade or so to start arriving.
true that!

suny6611

Country flag
C-17 is a transport carrying 60 tonnes, TU-22 a bomber carrying approximately 6 tonnes. What are you trying to say?

i did not google T 22 .................. so this remark .......... thanks for info & correcting me.

pmaitra

So many of Indian smaller neighbors have unofficially declared war on India? Allowing Chinese soldiers. Subs, string of pearls etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's say a PLAAF bomber flies over Nepal and attacks an Indian city. In such a case, India will have casus belli to send in its military into Nepal because the attack happened from Nepalese airspace.

While we are talking about Tupolev-22M3, let me bring in an older Tupolev, the Tupolev-4, which was copied from the Boeing B-29. The USSR was a neutral country, but since the USAF used these bombers to attack Japan and then entered Soviet airspace, the USSR exercised its discretion of neutrality and confiscated these planes. Not doing so would have been tantamount to non-neutrality, and would have given casus belli to Japan to attack the USSR.

Boeing B-29

Tupolev-4

Last edited:

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
We had committed to 2500 T-90S Long ago, the tank force planned is 2500 T-72+ 2500- T-90+ 124 Arjun Mk1 + 124 Arjun Mk2+ assorted T55. What this deal does is merely formalize the 2nd tranche of T-90.
We still use T-55 tanks? there is an rfi for T-72 replacement right and T-90 will be replaced by arjun tanks then y buying 1000 more

kstriya

Country flag
We still use T-55 tanks? there is an rfi for T-72 replacement right and T-90 will be replaced by arjun tanks then y buying 1000 more
T-90 that too 1000 nos bad option. Something about 300 should fill the GAP till Arjun MK2 is ready. Tu22M3 old technology not future ready, should and must invest in PAK DA. The Russians will be open for a JV like we plan for PAK FA.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
like i said stop looking at thetip of the spear alone, our shaft is not ready.
a sharp tip without a shaft is useless.

Shadow

Country flag
Prasun Sengupta(a defense blogger) on being asked whether India is buying the bombers or not he replied.
"Of course not. Tu-22M3 assembly-line at Kazan closed down years ago. "

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Prasun Sengupta(a defense blogger) on being asked whether India is buying the bombers or not he replied.
"Of course not. Tu-22M3 assembly-line at Kazan closed down years ago. "
In that case, maybe if leasing is a possibility should also be checked.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles