India likely to acquire Tu-22M3 Supersonic Bombers

rohit b3

Country flag
If its true...so much for Parrikar's "Design and Make in India".

Yumdoot

I don't quite understand why Parrikar is so keen on S-400. We cannot yet make a similar system but then there has to be some good use for something you are going to buy. All our air targets are well within our current ranges.

But if they really are interested in Tu-22M3 then this is one import I would love to have. The True Triad.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
So which T 90 India is buying when T 90 indigenization reached at 80 % while most of the subsystem are locally sourced including the Main Gun at OFB Kanpur.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
In Wiki page for Tu-22M3, India is already listed as undisclosed operators. How come?
i know wiki is not necessarily a trusted source, but still !!!

any old timers who have any clues about this.

pmaitra

In Wiki page for Tu-22M3, India is already listed as undisclosed operators. How come?
i know wiki is not necessarily a trusted source, but still !!!

any old timers who have any clues about this.
We have speculated on this long time back. It is an unconfirmed news, so it might as well be speculation.

The recent performance of the Russian Tupolev-22M3 and Tupolev-160 in Syria will certainly make these planes attractive to anyone willing to pay for them. Now, Russia is not likely to sell the Tupolev-160, but it is quite possible that Russia might be willing to sell the Tupolev-22M3.

I'd love to see these swing-wing bombers in the Indian inventory. I would prefer brand new builds, not the ones Russia already has and is currently using.

I would add, Russia has plans to manufacture more Tupolev-160s, and they might be considering either phasing out the Tupolev-22M3, or want to add more Tupolev-22M3 and has offered it to India to increase production numbers and consequently, reduce per unit cost.

Let's wait and see.

@Akim, @gadeshi, @Cadian, can you add more details here?

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
I don't quite understand why Parrikar is so keen on S-400. We cannot yet make a similar system but then there has to be some good use for something you are going to buy. All our air targets are well within our current ranges.

But if they really are interested in Tu-22M3 then this is one import I would love to have. The True Triad.

Why can't you fly over thailand and vietnam? it is shortcut na
Why going around?

pmaitra

Why can't you fly over thailand and vietnam? it is shortcut na
Why going around?
We cannot without their permission. The Russian bombers are flying to Syria via Iran and Iraq, and avoiding Armenia, Turkey, Georgia, and Azerbaijan. Similarly, the Russian cruise missiles launched from the Caspian Fleet also avoid these countries. If a country allows transit to military aircraft for attacking another country, then the attacked country can claim that the transit allowing country has declared war. So, Vietnam and Thailand will not want to allow such flights to IAF and irk PRC.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
We cannot without their permission. The Russian bombers are flying to Syria via Iran and Iraq, and avoiding Armenia, Turkey, Georgia, and Azerbaijan. Similarly, the Russian cruise missiles launched from the Caspian Fleet also avoid these countries. If a country allows transit to military aircraft for attacking another country, then the attacked country can claim that the transit allowing country has declared war. So, Vietnam and Thailand will not want to allow such flights to IAF and irk PRC.
They can say that IAF misused our permission to attack PRC..how about that?

kstriya

Country flag
We cannot make or design anything matching either the S-400 or the Tupolev-22M3 in India anytime soon.
Then we need to go in for JV, I would prefer to put money in PAK FA and PAK DA (Long Range stealth bomer) projects and have a production line in INDIA. We can also capitalize on the Bhramos experience and jointly develop S-600 future variant. We will have some thing in R&D to bring on the table.

pmaitra

Then we need to go in for JV, I would prefer to put money in PAK FA and PAK DA (Long Range stealth bomer) projects and have a production line in INDIA. We can also capitalize on the Bhramos experience and jointly develop S-600 future variant. We will have some thing in R&D to bring on the table.
I think the Tupolev-22M3 can be used as a bomb truck, or, to be precise, a cruise missile truck. It is supposed to be a triad completing entity. It is supposed to be used as a doomsday weapon. It will go in at blistering speed, unload all its cruise missiles, and then return back to its base (assuming the base is not turned into a pile of radioactive ash already) or maybe get destroyed. The cruise missiles will fly at a low altitude and take out the targets.

Long range Stealth Bomber, or PAK-DA is still some way off, and Russia is planning to continue production of the Tupolev-160, and modernize the current ones. In other words, PAK-DA is a future plan, Tupolev-160 and Tupolev-22M3 are realities, of which, Tupolev-22M3 might be available for India.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Hope we go in for PAK DA for long range bomber under make in INDIA.
The question is: Why do we need bombers? How is the PAK-DA or TU-22 going to fit into our strategic equations?

With the advent of Rockets and precision guided missiles, the importance of Fighter-Bombers have gone down. Who requires a bomber when we have missiles traveling at supersonic speeds and can target even a window of a room at a predefined angle to attain the best DE(Damage Expectancy). Moreover we have MRCAs which have replaced the bombers.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles