India Kerala: Temple fireworks blast kills at least 100

pmaitra

India Kerala: Temple fireworks blast kills at least 100

There was an explosion in a store of fireworks

An explosion and blaze sparked by fireworks have killed at least 100 people at a Hindu temple in the Indian state of Kerala, police say.

The fireworks, which were to be used to celebrate a local new year festival, exploded about 03:30 (22:15 GMT Saturday), local media say.

A building at the temple then collapsed, causing many of the deaths. More than 200 people were injured.
Read more: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-36008741

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
i think it'll be a fit case to fil complaint against that douchebag evanjihadi editor?

AFAIK there were demands being raised since earlier to ban the fireworks in some temple in KL. it was probably this Temple only?

indiatester

Country flag
My sympathies to the families of the victims.
What is unpardonable is the attitude of the organizers and the authorities in not taking care with these festivities. Too many times we see these idiots convert simple darshan as a harrowing experience for the common man.
And then these stampedes, fires etc only magnify their incompetence. I hope reap what they sow.

SrNair

BS.
my friends have been in there .they were eyewitness.
.Entire high intensity crackers were within a concrete building .It was these concrete sharpenls and slabs that caused this much death.
Stop these xenophobic like attitude .

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Rest in Peace.

raja696

RIP, proper probe should be conducted... unfortunate incident i wish this accident is due to fire crackers and negligence... if its proven otherwise INDIA WILL SEE COMPLETE CHANGE IN TO HINDU PHOBICS. Hope truth come out as it is... very sad incident.

Aravind Sanjeev

I was there at the incident and what I can assure you that is NOTHING here has to do anything with terrorism whatsoever. I live in Paravur, Kollam and never misses these fireworks. I was lucky I decided to go home few minutes before the fire. I was at the back of the ground when the fire broke and some concrete slabs were falling. (I wasn't hit)

It was caused by a failed fire cracker that apparently got miss collaborated and exploded near the storage. The fire went off and I saw the entire explosion from around 400 meters away. This kind off incident have had happened there before but apparently, this time, it was very unlucky because the unmoderated crowd was close to these storage facilities.

The failed security hole was because of the immediate arrangements. District collector restricted the fireworks because of a stay order from a heart patient and the committee members was hiding the explosives so it won't get sealed. They were bringing these explosives in a van even while they were conducting the fireworks.

They were storing 150 Kgs of explosives in place of 15 Kg.
Rest in piece to the victims.

gslv markIII

Country flag
But the truth is in our common sense now. Have you ever seen this kind of “Firecrackers” as seen in the image above? Each stick appears to be longer & thicker than a typical human lower limb.
And look at the way 20-25 sticks are tightly tied together with ropes. If these things tied together and exploded , the magnitude of destruction increases. They look like explosives (dynamite?) which are used in granite quarry.

Now just google “Dynamite” and search images, You will find Dynamite as something like this:

My suggestion is,grow a brain

Last edited:

Aravind Sanjeev

Do you know SIVAKASI

July 7, 2009: Seventeen workers of a cracker factory were burnt to death in a fire accident in the Madurai district of Tamil Nadu.

July 20, 2009: Eighteen people were killed and 33 injured 23 of them seriously, when a fire swept through the unit which makes crackers at Namaskarichanpatti in Virudhunagar District.

July 28, 2009: Three workers were killed in the mishap at Anil Fireworks in Keezha Tiruthangal village in Sivakasi

August 3, 2009: One died in the accident at Classic Fireworks in Meenampatti in Sivakasi.

August 29, 2009: Two workers were killed and three others injured in a fire accident at a cracker unit in Sattur.

March 30, 2010: One person was killed and six others injured in a blast at a country-made cracker unit on South Car Street in Dindigul.

August 5, 2010: An eight-year-old boy was killed in a fire accident reportedly at an illegal cracker unit functioning in a house near Sivakasi.

August 10, 2010: Eight state government officials suffered severe burns when firecrackers stored at an illegal godown they raided exploded accidentally at D Durai samypuram village, near Sivakasi.

August 26, 2010: A fireworks employee was killed in a fire accident in a cracker unit near Virudhunagar.

October 17, 2010: Three persons were charred to death and three others suffered burns when a godown of a cracker manufacturing unit at Ellappan Pettai village, near Cuddalore.

January 21, 2011: Eight workers were charred to death and sixteen, including five women, were injured in an explosion that took place at a fireworks unit near Virudhunagar.

March 22, 2011: Crackers worth lakhs of rupees were destroyed in a fire that broke out in a godown at A Lakshmiapuram, near Sivakasi.

June 5, 2011: A woman worker was killed and another injured in a fire accident at a cracker unit near Sattur.

August 6, 2011: Six women workers were killed in an accident following an explosion that took place in a fireworks factory near Sivakasi.

Oct 3, 2011: Two workers were killed in an explosion that took place in a fireworks factory near Sattur.

December 28, 2011: Four workers were killed on the spot and two others injured in an explosion at a cracker-manufacturing unit near Sivakasi.

February 3, 2012: A worker was injured in a fire accident at a fireworks unit in Sevalpatti on Friday.

Feb 28, 2012: Two labourers of a firecracker-manufacturing unit, who were seriously injured in a blast died at a private hospital in Madurai.

March 7, 2012: A blast at a fireworks unit in Sivakasi claimed the life of one worker and left another seriously injured. The incident occurred at National Paper Caps in Aiyanar Colony.

May 10, 2012: A 70-year-old man was burnt to death in an explosion at a fire cracker manufacturing unit in Sivakasi in Virudhunagar district.

March 27, 2012: Two workers who sustained serious burn injuries in a blast at a fireworks unit in Sankarapandiapuram near Sattur succumbed to the injuries at a private hospital in Madurai.

Aug 10, 2012: A worker at a cracker unit was critically injured in a fire accident at a fireworks unit at Thulukkakurichi near Vembakottai.

Aug 13, 2012: A woman employee of a fireworks unit was killed in a fire accident at a cracker unit in Maraneri near Virudhunagar.

Sept 05, 2012: At least 38 people were killed and over 60 injured in one of the worst fire tragedies in Om Sakthi Fireworks, a private cracker manufacturing unit in Mudhalipatti.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/tamil_nadu/article601806.ece

AL-MOST ALL deaths are DUE to BURNING no BUILDING ever COLLAPSED even-though their storing capacity of crackers is *10000 times of Kerala temple.
People that caught in the burn was immediately dead. A lot of people died because concrete pieces were showering and hit the crowd. I saw the whole incident and live 1 km away from the temple. I immediately went home which shares a common wall with a hospital. A lot of people lively reported had head injury and even one patient got in to a kidney failure.

I revisited the area and found the storage is totally inexistent, nearby building were partly broken. Windows ever shattered.

The family that filed the case lost half their home.

raja696

Any way truth will come out... so don't need to kill the conspiracy theory. As modi there him self things will be transparent.... :)

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Some people are trying hard for a communal angle. :facepalm:

1. For the claim that only few people died in Sivakasi fireworks explosions but here in temple more than a hundred died.
Below is the pic of a typical Sivakasi factory

AND below is a picture form a typical Kerala temple festival.

Notice the difference?

2. Next, buildings don't collapse at Sivakasi/with firecrackers. :lol:
Wrong.
I think some people are underestimating the power of large quantities of firecrakers.
One Sivakasi explosion....

Aftermath

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Diwali bombs/fire crackers accidents..........entire BUILDING COLLAPSE .... new in the entire HISTORY OF MANKIND not even in manufacturing units.

Most Secular-LITERATE STATE.

For idiots...... you can simply put gunpowder in crackers entire building will collapse.
except that these explosions happened inside concrete building and the force multiples, add to that there are many people nearby.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
YOU didn't GET IT, IF PEOPLE ARE burned to death okay i agree but here deaths are due to building collapse ..... how can that even possible by fire crackers?

That is not even a manufacturing unit to store some tons of fire crackers max 150 kg.
Yes building do collapse because of these explosives.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Potassium Chlorate is actually saltpetre which was used by the Chinese as gunpowder. That it explodes is well known.
Given enough heat and pressure, saltpetre explodes with a lot of energy. Also, a typical firework ensemble will have sulphur, magnesium, all of which burn with a high temperature.
Furthermore, note, that the greater the concentration of chemical explosives, the more energetic the blast.
It is completely plausible that building got obliterated by the blast. 150kg of fireworks has tremendous energy. Just try bursting a 'chocolate bomb' inside a closed fist, and you'll know its power. It is pressure and concentration which has made all the difference in this case I believe.

As for the sticks. To the naked eye, it appears rocket launchers. But if Jihadis have put Toluene inside? I know not. CID/CBI should investigate.
Also, as reported, most people died of injuries of from concrete falling and shrapnel.
Absolutely plausible. Because even in Maoist and Jihadist IEDs, it is shrapnel which cause the maximum damage and not the blast itself.
Is this terrorism or just accident? We don't know yet, investigators should investigate.
Could fireworks alone have done this? Yes. But again, investigators should find out if they were only fireworks or blastworks as well.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
STOP SELECTIVE PICTURES.... sivakasi is INDIA/WORLD FAMOUS manufaturing unit(legal & many illegal)

See yourself below........

during accidents many small houses and people are burned but buildings never collapsed like kerala temple.

In most cases buildings don't collapse but in some cases (like in the pic I posted,) they do collapse (depends on type of cracker explosive )

From 2:20 on below video you can see what temple firewirks in KL is like?
Each of those explosion is single firecracker. Now imagine 150 kg of that in an enclosed space
That is some serious explosive power.

Anyway investigations will give out further info as to how this happened.

@spikey360 Take a look at above video from 2:20 I think this is what you mean by blastworks???

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles