India ignores US call for economic freeze, opens up Iran oil strategy

noob101

Japan is World's 3rd biggest oil consumer, India is No. 6, yet Japan is willing to look for alternative oil suppliers. The point is India's policymakers it seems are not interested in pressuring Iran.
It isn't about who is the biggest consumer, its about alternatives. India doesn't have much.... you can't post your bullshit and not be accountable, answer everyone elses and my questions before you add more useless arguments on this thread

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
lol japan! another lapdog of the yanks.

they cant even defend themselves without taking permission from the white house :rofl:

A lol can be a good diversion, but this reasoning only makes the alleged rationally for India more suspect... The fact is Japan has more oil needs than India yet it is possible for it to look for alternatives.

Anyway, I understand this line of reasoning is uniquely Indian, but it still reminds me of the futility of Indian position in the Lybian crisis...

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I sincerely believe that India's oil needs can be remedied. It only need to seriously look into the matter with open minds.

I for one would not want Iran to have nukes. This is the real development that will destabilise future oil supply. As what the old saying goes, "it's better to suffer least now than suffer more later."

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
yes in a civilized discussion there should be rational arguments and answers so ball is in your court, how do you want to play it?
Civilised is not the same as agreeing with your point of view.

noob101

I sincerely believe that India's oil needs can be remedied. It only need to seriously look into the matter with open minds.

I for one would not want Iran to have nukes. This is the real development that will destabilise future oil supply. As what the old saying goes, "it's better to suffer least now than suffer more later."
give me some examples of how India can embargo Iranian oil and meet India's oil needs at the same time.... I am all ears... I don;t expect you to agree with me but I post answers to your arguments and you dont bother to read them nor answer any of my questions but you go off making other arguments that don't seem to have much traction in them

you are making it seem that India is deliberately doing this to site the west, but in reality India has very few alternatives. secondly India has always helped the International community where it could, we have the largest contingent of troops doing UN peacekeeping missions and has always been supportive of the UN. You also have to keep in mind that we as a country have been on the receiving end of sanctions like these, and they are not effective they only hurt the average citizens for example as a doctor I can tell you that the equipment for treating cancers with radiation is sorely lacking in India because of US sanctions against us, but did nothing to stop India's nuclear program....

illusion8

India's support to Iran will NOT be, to be against the US, but solely based on business and past relation, its a prickly issue and will create some friction. India will neither support Iran or the US against each other but will try to dissipate the situation.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
give me some examples of how India can embargo Iranian oil and meet India's oil needs at the same time...

You also have to keep in mind that we as a country have been on the receiving end of sanctions like these, and they are not effective they only hurt the average citizens for example as a doctor I can tell you that the equipment for treating cancers with radiation is sorely lacking in India because of US sanctions against us, but did nothing to stop India's nuclear program....

First issue, by consultation with the other big oil producers, even you know them, most of them in the ME are in sync with America, EU and Israel on this one. China is already in the ME now doing exactly just that. And since these other ME oil suppliers are so eagerly pushing for tougher actions against Iran, it might be a good time now for India to get concessions from them that otherwise it will not get on more peaceful times...

On the second issue, I don't know how the sanction regime was against India at that time but I firmly believe that cutting off Iran's primary source of income it will severely pressure it to reconsider any stand it has now, even the nuclear issue.

Last edited:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
China is biggest importer of Iran oil & is not dumping Iranian imports.

Its foolish to put all eggs in KSA's basket when Haqqanis in Astan (potentially vulnerable to India) are flourishing on Saudi support.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
most of them in the ME are in sync with America, EU and Israel on this one.
You answered your own question. How smart is it to sit in the laps of one particular Oil lobby and boycott the other producers when you have no reasons of national interest to choose sides here? Aren't we supposed to hedge against falling in the Oil politics.
We are a vulnerable importer, It would be disastrous to join camps in this field.
In my opinion, a bit difficult but eventually the best long term strategy would be to stay immune of all this and focus purely on Oil trade. Regardless of the players and whatever is cooking at their respective political furnaces.
We'll take a stand when and where our interests take a hit. If the Arabs are willing to do business with us, they'll not shove their politics up in the Oil trade with us. It's all pressure tactics and show biz. to strangle Iran, India isn't the subject.

Regards,
Virendra

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
You answered your own question. How smart is it to sit in the laps of one particular Oil lobby and boycott the other producers when you have no reasons of national interest to choose sides here? Aren't we supposed to hedge against falling in the Oil politics.
We are a vulnerable importer, It would be disastrous to join camps in this field.
In my opinion, a bit difficult but eventually the best long term strategy would be to stay immune of all this and focus purely on Oil trade. Regardless of the players and whatever is cooking at their respective political furnaces.

Regards,
Virendra

For me this is not an issue about oil anymore, this is about Iranian nukes and the potentially destabilising effect it will have on the region and our future oil supply.But I am sure that as soon as Iran gets the nuke then the whole region is on nuke diet. And once their oil wells dry up we better pray to all our Gods that these ME countries do not immediately collapse so that India (who will be then a World power) is able to recover all their nuclear stockpiles so that none ends up in Kashmiri militants...

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
To stop Iran's nuclear program, you don't cut the life support of India. What will happen when Arabs realize that they have monopoly in supplying Oil to India?
I don't have a solution to Iran-West nuclear tussle. But none of them have a solution to our Oil issues either. Instead they're giving problematic gestures.

Last edited:

Param

For me this is not an issue about oil anymore, this is about Iranian nukes and the potentially destabilising effect it will have on the region and our future oil supply.But I am sure that as soon as Iran gets the nuke then the whole region is on nuke diet. And once their oil wells dry up we better pray to all our Gods that these ME countries do not immediately collapse so that India (who will be then a World power) is able to recover all their nuclear stockpiles so that none ends up in Kashmiri militants...
The biggest long term threat to India are not Kashmiri militants or even ME nukes.

India has survived this long because it was wise enough to not take sides and remain neutral.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
This may hold some clue to China's recent proclamations:

UPDATE 1-China extends Iran oil import cut as sanctions mount | Reuters

Besides, why would China be touring key ME oil suppliers in this very crucial time...? I doubt it that the Chinese Premiere is on a pictorial tour.
Is China stopping Iranian oil trade ?

Beijing rejects sanctions on Iranian oil - The Washington Post

Iran oil row: China, India not to bend to US pressure - Hindustan Times

China raps US over curbs on oil trader - FT.com

Japanese PM: Govt has yet to decide on reducing Iranian oil imports in line with US sanctions - The Washington Post

The link you gave is 10days old.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
To stop Iran's nuclear program, you don't cut the life support of India.
Well India's lifeblood can be sourced elsewhere.

What will happen when Arabs realize that they have monopoly in supply Oil to India?
What will happen? It is still OPEC that you have to deal with when you talk of oil. It means prices across OPEC oil producers will always be the same or at least closely set...

noob101

First issue, by consultation with the other big oil producers, even you know them, most of them in the ME are in sync with America, EU and Israel on this one. China is already in the ME now doing exactly just that. And since these other ME oil suppliers are so eagerly pushing for tougher actions against Iran, it might be a good time now for India to get concessions from them that otherwise it will not get on more peaceful times...

On the second issue, I don't know how the sanction regime was against India at that time but I firmly believe that cutting off Iran's primary source of income it will severely pressure it to reconsider it's stand on the nuclear issue.
Other suppliers in the middle east will have to increase output significantly to meet the demands of Japan, China and last India. with the current political situation only the US and EU have enough influence to make this happen, there have been no indications that there will be help from either... after all its their plan and they have to take some responsibility for the mess that it will create.... even then it will take a lot of political capital and other perks to convince the Saudi's Im not sure that is a price that the US is willing to pay for India, it might do whatever it takes for Japan but I don't think that is the case with India... second the effect it would have on the price of oil is going to be felt much more in developing countries like India than in the west, as the Americans get oil at discounted prices from Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.

Like you said you wont feel safe if Iran has nuclear weapons, that is not the case with India. on the contrary they have stuck by us in some very key issues in the past. If the west is going to ask us to sacrifice one our friends it has to offer us a lot more than just an alternate suppliers, I can't see this happening for example just recently India's request to extradite David Headley was denied by the US government, remember the Mumbai attacks were our 9/11. They only allowed for our investigators to question him of the attacks after a lot of diplomatic pressure.

The sanctions on India prevented the sale of any radiological material, which included any radialogical material that was used in the treatment of cancer patients thats how the sanctions worked on India. This was resolved by a diplomatic solution later on, as history shows sanctions wont effect the kind of change that is desired it might weaken the regime but the ultimate goal will not be achieved. If the sanctions go into full effect then it will be more reason for the regime in Iran to openly declare their nuclear ambitions, remember that till now they have never openly said or threatened anyone with nuclear weapons. If they see their country colapsing with sanctions they might accelerate the program and i hope not.... but they might use it against Israel or the golf countries.

Like you said everything in Iran is funded by the oil money, these include many essential services for the common man. the people in power are not going to be effected by these type of sanctions and I am sure they will find money from somewhere to fund their nuclear weapons programs.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The biggest long term threat to India are not Kashmiri militants or even ME nukes.

India has survived this long because it was wise enough to not take sides and remain neutral.

India is not actually sitting on the sides on this issue. It is helping Iran, albeit, indirectly.

Mikkis

Russia Warns to Take Tough Action against Military Strike on Iran

TEHRAN (FNA)- Moscow warned the western powers to avoid a military threat against Iran, cautioning that Russia would regard any military intervention linked to Iran's nuclear program as a threat to its own security.

The escalating conflict around Iran should be contained by common effort, otherwise the promising Arab Spring will grow into a "scorching Arab Summer," Moscow's departing Ambassador to NATO Dmitry Rogozin warned on Friday.

"Iran is our close neighbor, just south of the Caucasus. Should anything happen to Iran, should Iran get drawn into any political or military hardships, this will be a direct threat to our national security," Rogozin, who is now Russia's deputy prime minister, said two days after the killing of a nuclear scientist in Tehran by a hitman on a motorcycle.

"We are definitely interested in the non-proliferation of the weapons of mass destruction," Rogozin said on Friday. "But at the same time, we believe that any country has the right to have what it needs to feel comfortable, including Iran."

Dmitry Rogozin, who served as Russia's special envoy to NATO in 2008-2011, was appointed deputy prime minister by Vladimir Putin in December. On Friday he was bidding farewell to his NATO colleagues in the alliance's headquarters in Brussels.

Rogozin, often described as an anti-Western hawk will oversee Russia's defense sector when he returns to Moscow.

The remarks came as Kremlin Security Council head Nikolai Patrushev, who is close to Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, said Israel was pushing the United States towards war with Iran.

Fars News Agency :: Russia Warns to Take Tough Action against Military Strike on Iran

Global Defence

New threads

Articles