India Has Scrapped Tender For 22 Attack Helicopters

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Payeng, Mar 24, 2009.

1. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

sayar we develop many things only to be rejected by the services at the end we spend a fortune developing then another fortune buying foreign weapons i know people are profiting somewhere in this but it has been repeated too many times and at this point we should be much more indigenous in our weapons needs.

2. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Guys Indian forces want the best and the best did not participate in the RFP. No Apache, no Super Cobra. Its clear that they will be in the next RFP.

Indigenous ones will also come. But we need them for the moment. Thats why the number required is only 22 and not say 200.

3. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

not many countries would except terms for a low number like that??

4. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

A billion dollars is not a small amount.

5. Soham

Soham DFI TEAM Senior Member

We also need to check if they fit in our required role. Thus the number 22.
    If they prove to be ideal, more can always be ordered.

6. Auberon

Auberon Regular Member

You are right. Ariel close combat support is a new role for Army Aviation, it will evolve slowly as the infrastructure and pilots trained for the role also have to be considered. In fact, IIRC prior to induction of Dhruv and this attack chopper tender, one of the mottos of Army Aviation was "Unarmed Into Combat".

7. screwterrorists

screwterrorists Founding Member

makes sense they canceled if they dont have competitors meeting requirements. its a big order.
    its just ironic that they will be delayed because 2 pulled out because of inability to make deadlines.

8. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

There's also another factor that is information regarding the recruitment process. One of my friend wanted to apply for NDA, but he couldn't because of age-limit, which he crossed by 2 months when by the time he passed 10+2. Another of my friend was told (apparently some moron who was supposed to be an informed person about defence) that he couldn't join because of his heght. He stood 5'5''. But recently he met a distant relative serving in military shorter than him who entered the service after college. Get this we live in a part of country where we hardly, if ever meet an army personnel in person.

I know some of you'd say they should have tried to get more info., but that's not my point. in our culture we steer clear of army - only in movies or in news we what our army is like. Even movies are rare, or so totally weird that is borderline unbelievable. Our youth needs to know more about our defence forces - apart from occassional one page advertisement about them, and recruitment adv. where most is required the tech people, the general public don't get to know about defence system much.

Comanche was not a heavy attack helicopter, but armed recon copter. It was scrapped in favour of UAVs.

http://news.chennaionline.com/newsi...b24-46ab-aab3-4ab200335847&CATEGORYNAME=INTER

Army apparently wants to get either AH-64D Apache or AH-1Z Viper (latest super cobra after modifications). Don't forget this two have seen battle, survived them and proven their worth. Which the other three contenders didn't.

9. Auberon

Auberon Regular Member

Your friend can apply for CDS after grad if he wants to.
    As far as the other friend goes, height requirements are different for different categories, certain things enable you for relaxation. If he's overage now but wants to serve, he can try out for TA.

10. VayuSena1

VayuSena1 Defence Professionals Defence Professionals

Yes, even though most Indians as I have seen don't have high hopes with LCH, I am optimistic that this would be serving IA and IAF in a couple of years. It took Dhruv 10 years to come into material and now see how useful it is to all our 3 branches. No one can deny that. Therefore, I feel that LCH though might take 2-3 years from today, but we would definitely be getting a pleasant surprise from HAL.

11. screwterrorists

screwterrorists Founding Member

While I heartily welcome patriotic sentiments and do believe indigenous arms industries need to nurtured at this very crucial stage, the indian army looks for the best.

Quite honestly, right now the LCH is not the best. In fact, I haven't seen a prototype. Dhruv wasn't just accepted out of the blue. It had to prove its capability. Im proud to say it was brilliant. If LCH is able to perform up to and above standards, AWESOME! but the Indian army nor the air force can take chances on whether the LCH will be a success. If it is, im sure they will be more than delighted as it saves them much trouble: costs, repairs, technicians, sale clearance, parts, commonality, etc. If it is not, God i hope not, the army would be stuck.

Plus, the LCH in its operational clearance form at the projected late 2010 would not be very advanced as compared to something acquired today. It will need time to develop, as did the Dhruv. Only now is the WSI variant of Dhruv becoming reality. While the LCH is developed, the army needs a deadly platform to operate.

I apologize for bursting your bubble or perhaps for sounding rude.
    But this is the reality.

12. Triton

Triton Founding Member

Attack chopper RFP cancellation to affect op preparedness: IAF