India has lost the Maldives- China, Maldives firm up defence ties

VatsaOfBhrigus

Tihar Jail
Banned
Its a good news, those islands are where the money goes and comes from black ofcourse....now remove tax discounts on their investment..

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If China can treat the SCS as its backwaters, one wonders why India is hesitant.

This irrational handicap of communal issues should not affect external policies even if it material for internal policies.

More interactivity is also essential and one should not take the neighbours for granted.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Why not? Everything in China is sponsored by the state.
Thanks for clearing my doubt.

What people say internationally must be the reality and the truth.

Thanks once again!

Patriot

Country flag
In the coming decade, there is a good chance that the Maldives will be below sea level, thanks to global warming. Lets see what they do then :)
It can be used by PLAN as under water submarine base or underwater missile silos.:p

mki

I think india should openly supply brahmos to Vietnam and all the possible weapon. why only viatnam philipines and all the countries who are the backyard of china.

Indian govt should cancel all the support and scholarship given to maldives and her peoples.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Thanks for clearing my doubt.

What people say internationally must be the reality and the truth.

Thanks once again!
You are welcome, sometimes I take pleasure in filling the full glass.

There was no doubt at all, what you said is always the truth, i wasn't here to clear doubts, but to applaud the truth teller.

You are welcome once again.

Sent from Huawei Ascend T8830

mikhail

Country flag
When India is bleeding China has lost an arm. Compared to a peanut Maldives a much sizable Viet Nam has been dished to India.

Surprised? In 2011 alone 198 thousand Chinese visited Maldives. China has become the No.1 origin of tourists, followed by UK, Germany, Italy and Russia.

Therefore China has a strategic interest in Maldives.
you can't achieve anything in Maldives as its near our home turf!we will just repeat history by launching another operation cactus against maldives and the next thing you will see is the Indian flag flying high in Male!:cool2:

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Me thinks time for India to pull an "Bruce Lee" on China in the south China sea :lol:

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Malidves was lost the day when we stood by as the coup happened, these are just the consequences, stay tuned for more.

atleast 7 maldives are my classmate
and majority of them dnt have good feeling for INDIA...

though i dnt knw the reason
Hi, didn't you once say you were 40 y/o?

It would explain your posts though.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I think ur being a little too uncharitable. The GoI has certainly upped its game ever since China has been making overtures with our subcontinental neighbors.

That said, I think this calls for strong arm tactics. The days of 'soft policy' instruments with the Maldives have passed. The Maldivian Government needs to be made to understand that the carrot is not far away from the stick.
I think we didn't do enough.
How could we let a strategically important island get radicalized if we were keeping our eyes open?
It was a small, relatively isolated territory with dependence on India.
Demanding more favorable circumstances would be asking for spoon feeding.
By the way, did the new Maldives President visit India? I know the ousted one did.

Regards,
Virendra

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
The need of the hour is a naval blockade of Maldives. They would just shrivel up and beg for it to be lifted. One good step like this now would save us from having to take a perfect step sometime later (if a perfect step is possible, that is).

The Chinese wouldn't dare intervene in the IOR. We should exploit this window else we would lose a chance to right the wrongs.

Last edited:

Phenom

The airport saga may not be that important, but this is.

If the current Maldives govt moves to China's camp then India needs to look at all its options. Any Chinese presence so close to India should be unacceptable.

Rage

DFI TEAM
I think we didn't do enough.
How could we let a strategically important island get radicalized if we were keeping our eyes open?
It was a small, relatively isolated territory with dependence on India.
Demanding more favorable circumstances would be asking for spoon feeding.
By the way, did the new Maldives President visit India? I know the ousted one did.

Regards,
Virendra
My response was at correcting the general impression the quoted poster had of the Indian Government doing nothing to counter Chinese overtures to our subcontinental neighbours: including Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal. That is categorically not true.

This fiasco with GMR has come as a setback no doubt, and I am of the stated opinion that India must do more to counter the burgeoning Chinese influence in the Maldives.

Rage

DFI TEAM
The need of the hour is a naval blockade of Maldives. They would just shrivel up and beg for it to be lifted. One good step like this now would save us from having to take a perfect step sometime later (if a perfect step is possible, that is).

The Chinese wouldn't dare intervene in the IOR. We should exploit this window else we would lose a chance to right the wrongs.
It's debatable whether the GMR eviction constitutes a jus ad bellum to go to war, which is what an act such as a naval blockade is.

I'm thinking more on the lines of fomenting unrest through the opposition in the Maldives, painting the human rights excesses that will no doubt occur and using that as an excuse for intervention.

In the end, it seems likely that the present government- even if brought around to the position that Indian investment and presence is vital- will play a balancing act between India and China that will tend to tip more in China's favor over time than India's. So, replacing the present Government is necessary.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Why dosen't India start doing regime change in the neighborhood?
Good idea but for this slumbering softy state like India? I don't think we have those instincts developed yet.
We tried it halfheartedly in Nepal and things are still in a mess there.

Country flag
Good idea but for this slumbering softy state like India? I don't think we have those instincts developed yet.
We tried it halfheartedly in Nepal and things are still in a mess there.
Even 50% success would be okay.If not do another change.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Like I've said before- India is trying too hard to play the "nice guy" in the region and on the world stage. But as the daying goes- "nice guys always come second". India needs to get off its high horse and get its hands dirty, diplomacy will only get you son far. To be fair the Indian/GoI stance has hardened in recent years vis a vis China but then to let a sattillite state like the Maldives fall under Chinese control is just not on and a major lapse in judgement. The GoI tried to take the moral high ground by calling it an "internal" matter and look what happened, It has to be said India sort of has to play the "internal" security/matter card otherwise they open themselves up to attacks by the worldwide community on the Moaist front and JK. But China has no such morals- they will do whatever they see suits their needs irrespetive of how they look and this is what India should mirror. Of course it will be harder for India as it it a democracy.

Either way this is a monumantal c0ck up by the GoI. A gift for China or what!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles