India faces Afghan test, as ally calls for military aid

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
And you guys were opposing doubling the numbers of InA. I took that into my consideration when I read Rajnath's comment as he was stating the obvious.
India has neither ambitions nor resorces to embark upon "Expeditionary Army" or "Expaditionary Navy". Though role of the IN is gradually enlarging. Call to increase strenght is releveant on these counts:

# Inefficient or I would say non military like CPOs which can not function as second line reserves for the Army.
# Capabilities of the CPOs to hold the internal situation during war is suspect and Army would have to employ their strenth internally.
# Nature of Indian border which require manpower intesive operations for defense of those areas.

# Increasing Chinese threat which in essence would be massed employment of Army inspite of their rheotrics on Technology.

# Large scale manpoer reserves of the Pakistan Army which is better organised and trained than Indian CPOs.

# Possibilities of two front war have increased which means more man power required and there would hardly any reserves with present strenght.

Technology ?? Where is it ?

Last edited:
Reactions: sob

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
For Afghanistan :

India needs to equip ANA and ANAF with whatever we are manufacturing

Russians and Americans should contribute and leave behind equipment for Afghans.

Establish Indian military traning and advisory establishment inside Afghanistan.

Train ANA personnel in Indian military establishments.

Establish a few air bases inside Afghanistan and let LCA, Rudra and LCH be baptised there.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Forget about anything from Afghanistan if you do not have resolve to pledge man power and equipment both. This war has to be fought from many front. If people like us at defense forums can comment on military policies then Rajnath Singh I know has good insights on how things work in this regard.

BTW you were not clear about 350,000 of whom.
ANA is 350,000 strong.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
India has neither ambitions nor resorces to embark upon "Expeditionary Army" or "Expaditionary Navy". Though role of the IN is gradually enlarging. Call to increase strenght is releveant on these counts:

# Inefficient or I would say non military like CPOs which can not function as second line reserves for the Army.
# Capabilities of the CPOs to hold the internal situation during war is suspect and Army would have to employ their strenth internally.
# Nature of Indian border which require manpower intesive operations for defense of those areas.

# Increasing Chinese threat which in essence would be massed employment of Army inspite of their rheotrics on Technology.

# Large scale manpoer reserves of the Pakistan Army which is better organised and trained than Indian CPOs.

# Possibilities of two front war have increased which means more man power required and there would hardly any reserves with present strenght.

Technology ?? Where is it ?
I will make it short.

Indian army as an institution is now reduced to be operated by not typical Generals but politicians in uniforms.

People will come hard at me and will try to explain me how army has to be subservient of politicians of this country but when the same army make excuses of not been equipped well then in my eyes they are already a failed business of pretending to be protecting and projecting (even in the neighborhood) us.

This has been not talked about and in this forum it can be blasphemous but now its has become a vicious circle of alleged dependency on each other's incompetence, that one blames other.

When diplomacy fails, like in case of Pakistan (I will say utter failure) the army should be called in but the way we have been bogged down in J&K one has to seriously doubt their performance for last two decades. Every terrorist attack our casualties are more then their's.

I assume when a politician is briefed about how we will be suffering the attrition as well during a war or during offshore expeditions because the enemy has been calculatedly growing stronger then the plans are placed in cold storage or back burner. The same could have happened during Kandhar Hijack and same had happened after 26/11 attacks.

I bet my life that it is never all about the lack of political will but constraints withing range and capabilities of your forces.

You are trained to think not work like a laborer or a infantry man covering swamps and deserts by foot. If you are here to tell us oh well the babus are not letting you to be the force you are suppose to be then all I can see interesting times ahead, forever.

Pakistan is out smarting us in all aspects and politics of this nation is helpless because they know these sesame seeds doesn't have oil in it.

Last edited:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
When? Never under Congress. Did you hear Mr. Jha's take on Pak policy in the newshour yesterday?

What the heck?. When are we going to stop pandering to Pakistani fears?. We need to supply all offensive weapons that we can. But main focus should be to make ANSF to self-sustain and be a credible force against Taliban.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
When? Never under Congress. Did you hear Mr. Jha's take on Pak policy in the newshour yesterday?
jha made the bjp chap sound well which isn't normally the case. he shouldn't be anywhere near making foreign policy.

WMD

Afghanistan will go to shitter when coalition forces leave.
India doesn't hav the resources to support Afgans in their fight against both taliban and pakis,
and with defence budget cuts it will not b wise to spend billions of dollars yearly as aid to Afghanistan(both man and machine) when we ourself face dire shortages in many sectors.
we might supply them some offensive capabilities in the long run but nothing much in 2014 when NATO forces leave.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
India should not be in a hurry to take on the responbilities of Akhand Bharat and start meddling in places from Burma to Afghanistan....

Indian neighbourhood are a shittier places which can pull down India story badly.

The need of the hour is to ensure that after USA Pakistan is bogged down in the dry lands and tribal areas in Afghanistan and is defeated in piecmeal there.. Pakistan will definetly put their dirty nose in that smelly place and should get fainted by the foul smell of Pashtoon tribals guns. India only needs to ensure that Pakistanies are forced to put their Jihadies inside Afghanistan rather than push them into Kashmir...

Akhand Bharat should remain a project for future... may be near future but not for the present..

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Need more on that.
If Iran did allow use of Chabahar and their highways to Delaram, then why does US continue to send cargo through Pakistan, and through CIS/Russia ?

Why did we have to cut a deal with Pakistan, to allow them use of their highways for exporting goods to Astan ?

Iran did a massive blunder, if it would've allowed "humanitarian" (conveniently labeled ;)) goods to be sent from Chahabahar to Delaram, US wouldn't have had to rely on Pstan and CIS/Russia and it would've normalized Iran and USA relations to a great degree.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
If Iran did allow use of Chabahar and their highways to Delaram, then why does US continue to send cargo through Pakistan, and through CIS/Russia ?

Why did we have to cut a deal with Pakistan, to allow them use of their highways for exporting goods to Astan ?

Iran did a massive blunder, if it would've allowed "humanitarian" (conveniently labeled ;)) goods to be sent from Chahabahar to Delaram, US wouldn't have had to rely on Pstan and CIS/Russia and it would've normalized Iran and USA relations to a great degree.
US obviously cannot go through Iran for obvious reasons. Nothing stops India from accessing the port an the road.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
US obviously cannot go through Iran for obvious reasons. Nothing stops India from accessing the port an the road.

Like nothing stopped India, from investing, and then being kicked out. If nothing stopped India, then why aren't we accessing the port?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Like nothing stopped India, from investing, and then being kicked out. If nothing stopped India, then why aren't we accessing the port?
Who said we are not accessing the port? Just today we have a thread on Indian rice exports to Iran. How is that happening? There is nothing wrong with Indo-Iran relations. Iran was with India supporting the NA and it will do so again if the Talibs are seen in ascendency.

Tolaha

India using those highways is not the same as NATO using that highway. It wouldn't matter even if it was Indian trucks/ personals. Simply put, from what has been so far, Iran does not want to normalize relationship with the West. So no point of humanitarian gestures.

One of the main reasons behind mullahs taking over Iran was supposed to stop the influence of the "West" over Iran.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Who said we are not accessing the port? Just today we have a thread on Indian rice exports to Iran. How is that happening? There is nothing wrong with Indo-Iran relations. Iran was with India supporting the NA and it will do so again if the Talibs are seen in ascendency.
YB,

India is exporting to Iran not Astan. And this is more the benefit of Iran, not for our benefit. And can you please find out on which port Rice will be unloaded ? Chabahar port was financed by us to reach CIS and Astan, not for stuff reaching Tehran. For that there are plenty of other ports.

There is nothing "right" with Iran-India relations either. Iran is too ballsy, India too timid

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
India using those highways is not the same as NATO using that highway. It wouldn't matter even if it was Indian trucks/ personals. Simply put, from what has been so far, Iran does not want to normalize relationship with the West. So no point of humanitarian gestures.

One of the main reasons behind mullahs taking over Iran was supposed to stop the influence of the "West" over Iran.
My point building of that highway and connecting it with Chahabahar has resulted in diddly squat for us, and our influence in teh region.

Tolaha

My point building of that highway and connecting it with Chahabahar has resulted in diddly squat for us, and our influence in teh region.
By what has happened so far, you are right indeed. But the utility of this highway, if any, can be judged only post-NATO withdrawal. Both Indian and Iran have common interests in Afghanistan (but not necessarily in Central Asia) and so it would be too early to derive conclusions!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles