India develops first Laser Guided Bomb

GaneshP

Indian Laser Guided Bomb

With technical support from Dehradun-based Instruments Research and Development Establishment (IRDE), a laboratory of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), the country has developed its first laser-guided bomb (LGB), a weapon that can illuminate a target and then decimates it with accuracy. Two successful flight trials of the LGB were conducted for the IAF at the Chandipur test range in Orissa in January this year.

gratewite

Country flag
With technical support from Dehradun-based Instruments Research and Development Establishment (IRDE), a laboratory of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), the country has developed its first laser-guided bomb (LGB), a weapon that can illuminate a target and then decimates it with accuracy. Two successful flight trials of the LGB were conducted for the IAF at the Chandipur test range in Orissa in January this year.

Wow!!! Thats a great news.. Some body got any detailed info on this???

Mustang

They should actually put some scientific name like way ISRO does in most of their products. Many people over here might hate me for what i am saying. But that is my opinion. I seriously didnt like the name Tejas for LCA. Vajpayee got it seriously off while naming it. They should better come up with some scientific names for their products!

Last edited:

Parthy

Air Warrior

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustang

Also, hope any defence agency wont take credit by calling it "indigenous" as the technology for this came from Ratheon to OFB.

http://www.strategypage.com/militaryforums/72-20539.aspx

Raytheon might have given technology of a earlier version of paveway LGB. OFB might have put in some additional things to get a enhanced version. However, i whole heartedly support this if developing entirely on our own meant more time and money.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles