India creates 60 – 170 km Pragati – Tactical Missile

SilentKiller

Country flag
looks like Pragati has neat packaging compare to Prahaar missile

Missiles india has is a secret and its good we keep it that way, no one is given its real potential or real range or power.
What we will sell will be lowered range that what we use.

Abhi9

Country flag
I think it can be used in conjunction with ISTAR aircraft IAF is negotiating.

After scanning the ground threats the missiles can be used accurately with good accuracy rather than area weapons like MBRL"s

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag

Last edited by a moderator:

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag

This Brochure says Prahaar's payload as 225 KG

Dinesh_Kumar

Maybe they are confident abt this, they have gained expertise in Surface to Surface missiles............In this class, DRDO is like Rocky.........
Prahaar's sister eh???

Has no fu(king person have told DRDO to keep minimum gap within missile development of same class ( like within offspring), well I mean to wait till Prahaar was in operational service before coming-up with Pragati?

Dinesh_Kumar

Heck, if it can do all that we should probably order it too...........
the official range of Prahaar as per DRDO sources is 150 Kms but since we all know that DRDO likes to down play the range of it's missile there is a speculation going on in the defense community that the original range of this tactical B.M. must be around 200 Kms.
btw Pragati will also be cannisterised as per the above report and the TEL will have 6,4 or 2 missile salvo configuration as per the report...

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Slightly different like lid open differently in both. Pragati launcher has more re inforced metal structure and it look seriouly military. Prahaar is more of basic covering on the structure.

it appers they have made more presentable for foreign sale.
Lid opens the same way. I agree, this launcher looks more tougher. Prahaar probably getting the same thing, The launcher they showed before was shown quickly after the first launch.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Lid opens the same way. I agree, this launcher looks more tougher. Prahaar probably getting the same thing, The launcher they showed before was shown quickly after the first launch.
Prahaar lid open from the top side and Pragati lids open from the bottom side. So they have reverse the same.

ladder

Country flag
India Unveils Shorter-Range Pragati
NEW DELHI — India will replace its tactical ballistic missile Prithvi-1 with a shorter-range missile, the Pragati, which was displayed for the first time at the KINTEX Seoul defense show, Indian Army sources said.

Unlike the Prithvi-I, which is propelled by liquid fuel, the Pragati is a solid-fuel missile with a shorter range of between 70 and 170 kilometers. It helps fill the gap created by the delay in the purchase of 155mm/52 caliber guns, said the Army source.

The Army had been demanding a solid-fueled missile in place of the Prithvi-I missile since its induction in 1994. The Prithvi-I was cumbersome to move, maintain and deploy, the source added.

Capable of firing in a salvo, Pragati can be launched within two to three minutes of preparation time, a much quicker reaction than the Prithvi-I, which requires at least half an hour. The Prithvi-I missile still can be used for longer-range engagement, the source said.

The vehicle-mounted Pragati will fill the firing gap between the homegrown Pinaka multibarrel rocket launcher, with a range of 40 kilometers, and the Prithvi-I missile with a range of 150 kilometers, the source said.

Comparing the missile to the Lockheed Martin Army Tactical Missile System, a scientist at the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) said they developed the Pragati in response to the Nasr short-range missile produced by Pakistan.

Admitting that the Army needs short-range missiles, the DRDO scientist said the Prithvi has advanced guidance systems and has been tested several times. Its variants are inducted in the Indian Army, Navy and Air Force, claimed the DRDO scientist.

The scientist, however, would not comment on Pragati's ability to carry a nuclear warhead. Pakistan has claimed that its Nasr short-range missile can carry a nuclear weapon.

Mahindra Singh, a retired Army brigadier general, said the military would be able to strike more targets with greater accuracy with the Pragati rather than depending on the less accurate Prithvi, which would require a greater amount of explosives.
India Unveils Shorter-Range Pragati | Defense News | defensenews.com

Twinblade

Country flag
Slightly different like lid open differently in both. Pragati launcher has more re inforced metal structure and it look seriouly military. Prahaar is more of basic covering on the structure.

it appers they have made more presentable for foreign sale.
Saya garu, it's the same launcher. The one for Republic day was a mock up. Prahaar/Pragati system shares its launcher with the Nirbhay missile system.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Saya garu, it's the same launcher. The one for Republic day was a mock up. Prahaar/Pragati system shares its launcher with the Nirbhay missile system.
No launchers are different for Prahaar/Pragati and Nirbhay.

How do i know, we you ask the maker about it and they do tell (sometimes)

my copy right pic, (when i talk with the L&T guys years ago

this is three in one launcher, it does the function of launch, generator and command post into one, this is big launcher.

Now lets look at Prahaar and Pragati launcher.

Looks small, i can see small generator, cant say about command post at the missile launcher.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles