India claims to have tool to defeat iPhone encryption

Country flag
India claims to have tool to defeat iPhone encryption

http://www.cnet.com/news/india-claims-to-have-tool-to-defeat-iphone-encryption/

India allegedly has a secret technology to decrypt iPhones.

Ravi Shankar Prasad, India's communications and IT minister, said Friday that a tool for mobile forensics has been developed that can handle smartphones, including Apple's iPhone, according to the New Indian Express. Prasad didn't reveal details about how the tool works.

Earlier this year, the iPhone was at the center of a legal battle between Apple and the FBI. The government wanted Apple to help access a locked iPhone 5C used by one of two terrorists involved in a December attack in San Bernardino, California, that left 14 people dead. Apple denied the government's request, even when faced with a court order. The showdown ended in late March when the feds bought a tool from a third party to bypass the phone's security.

Tech firms say that weakening encryption, which scrambles data so it can be read only by the intended person, violates the privacy of device owners. Law enforcement officials counter that encryption hinders their ability to access data in criminal investigations.

In 2010, BlackBerry ran into trouble in India and other countries that insisted on gaining access to encrypted customer data stored on the company's servers. BlackBerry argued that it did not possess the encryption keys and thus could not provide access to the data.

Apple did not immediately respond to CNET's request for comment.

no smoking

Country flag
Oh, please.
NSA has been able to do that for years. Do you really believe that FBI can't seek assistance from them?

Basically, every big country can do it but India is the only one to acknowledge that publically.

charlie

Country flag
Oh, please.
NSA has been able to do that for years. Do you really believe that FBI can't seek assistance from them?

Basically, every big country can do it but India is the only one to acknowledge that publically.
forgot about NSA that's a federal agency, I have seen local agency like police using harris stingray with court permission and once without permission too.

FBI I am not 100% sure but as far as i can guess they use their own system rather then depending on NSA, again all the federal sales comes as Classified, so we can only guess
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris_Corporation#cite_note-45 go down and click on 45 in
References

prices have changed

Last edited:

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
go to gaffar market in New Delhi...your Iphone will be Unlocked in few Doller's ..
Unlocking and decrypting are different sir. Unlocking in the sense, the phone can accommodate different carrier SIMs rather than only one. Decrypting goes well beyond that. First thing they face is the screen lock and the data scramble option for iCloud. With the recent chip based finger print tech, decrypting will be more tougher than ever.

Sent from my XT1022 using Tapatalk

anoop_mig25

Country flag
well FIB/NSA has to just track enginner from Iphone.Take him for a dinner or two and he would easily revel secrets.

Problem is not data but would court accept such data which has been extracted from such methods without having approval from court or iphone or any other smartphone makers

I donot know about US courts but I am sure Indian court Judjes would happily reject it

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
well FIB/NSA has to just track enginner from Iphone.Take him for a dinner or two and he would easily revel secrets.

Problem is not data but would court accept such data which has been extracted from such methods without having approval from court or iphone or any other smartphone makers

I donot know about US courts but I am sure Indian court Judjes would happily reject it
American federal courts are notorious when it is up to serving justice. They would happily accept such evidence. The San Bernardino case is an example. FBI persuaded - Apple declined - FBI got Israeli company to unlock the iPhone - Apple cried. And I don't think tracking an ex-engineer from Apple to get hold of the secret works. Even when developing an encryption system as such in mobile phones, different levels of development and implementation are headed by diff people. Per say one would know what method of encryption was used but he/she might not know where the data is stored.

DingDong

Country flag
Unlocking and decrypting are different sir. Unlocking in the sense, the phone can accommodate different carrier SIMs rather than only one. Decrypting goes well beyond that. First thing they face is the screen lock and the data scramble option for iCloud. With the recent chip based finger print tech, decrypting will be more tougher than ever.

All Cryptographic Algorithm are and must be Public Domain. Only the Keys are secret.

There are plenty of cryptanalytic methods for retrieving keys by say, side channel attacks, like monitoring power consumption, noise produced by the electronics, timing attack (measure slowness of CPU). There are many direct methods as well, but require plenty of resource which are not hard to arrange for Government Agencies.

adrenalin

Tihar Jail
Banned
Oh, please.

chinise, not upto recintly, fbi took isreali company help, okay? go back to making noddles

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Ravi Shankar Prasad should have kept his mouth shut on this one. I am sure there is "paran tu" somewhere in his statement.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
American federal courts are notorious when it is up to serving justice. They would happily accept such evidence. The San Bernardino case is an example. FBI persuaded - Apple declined - FBI got Israeli company to unlock the iPhone - Apple cried. And I don't think tracking an ex-engineer from Apple to get hold of the secret works. Even when developing an encryption system as such in mobile phones, different levels of development and implementation are headed by diff people. Per say one would know what method of encryption was used but he/she might not know where the data is stored.

Well I was talking of an engineer who works in encryption department of IPhone and tracking him should be child play for FBI

Between i think iphone itself coukd have/had arranged for that 3 party to track its iphone.

This way they can say look we did not provided any help and so we care for customers privacy

Had they agreed for FBI proposal their brand image would had hurt

Country flag

In USA they usually look to protect the corporations first. This apple situation was handled in a way where Apple was protected first . When it comes to individuals against corporations the corporations always win(deeper pockets)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnantS

Country flag
So which iOS version is he talking about? the statement is vague

3deffect

Country flag

OHH i didnt know that..then its okay

sorcerer

Country flag
Oh, please.

:D
Very funny.
The Feds Are Still Trying To Force Apple To Help Unlock iPhones
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/04/the-feds-are-still-trying-to-force-apple-to-help-unlock-iphones/

If FBI a premier American Agency can acknowledge publicly about NOT being able to make progress in Iphone Forensic on its own then India can acknowledge publicly on what capability it has in decrypting iPhone.
FBI and NSA needed assistance from external agencies.

Secondly...these are serious findings which iPhone can challenge and India will be damn sure about what its claiming to be able to do.

Mobile Forensic Kits are some serious tools not which many nations have..big or small.. Many depend on kits coming out of Sweden and Russia.

Decrypting an iPhone for the FBI

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2016/02/decrypting_an_i.html

Inside the Israeli Company That Can Crack the iPhone
read more: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/business/.premium-1.710066

U.S. Says ‘Outside Party’ Could Unlock Terrorist’s iPhone

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-seeks-delay-in-apple-hearing-over-terrorists-phone-1458602291

Seems like chinese cant pirate the iPhone codes!!!:rofl:

Apple refused China request for source code in last two years: lawyer

Washington: Apple Inc has been asked by Chinese authorities within the last two years to hand over its source code but refused, the company's top lawyer told lawmakers on Tuesday in response to law enforcement criticism of its stance on technology security.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying, asked about the comments, said she did "not understand" details of the situation. She did not elaborate.

:rofl:Ofcourse none in china understood thats why they asked for it upfront!

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/tech...for-source-code-in-last-two-years-lawyer.html

adrenalin

Tihar Jail
Banned

apple engineer workin on this tech get million dollar as salary, whey they tell fbi over dinner?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
@charlie, @DingDong - is NSA capable of retrieving the keys of iphones?! want to know this to tell to a friend.
Since this is NSA (No-Such-Agency) we can't say anything for sure. But very high probability that they can. NSA's technological capabilities are beyond anything commoners can imagine. And they have various other resources.

This FBI-apple business is just a show.

Edit: For eg check this from 2015. This is cia. NSA is better equiped at these tasks than cia. Also this is only what they are telling us, the tip of the iceberg.

AT THE CIA’s Jamboree in 2011, the computer researchers conducted workshops where they revealed the specifics of their efforts to attack one of the key privacy elements of Apple’s mobile devices. These machines have two separate keys integrated into the silicon of their Apple-designed processors at the point of manufacture. The two, paired together, are used to encrypt data and software stored on iPhones and iPads. One, the User ID, is unique to an individual’s phone, and is not retained by Apple. That key is vital to protecting an individual’s data and — particularly on Apple’s latest devices — difficult to steal. A second key, the Group ID, is known to Apple and is the same across multiple Apple devices that use the same processor. The GID is used to encrypt essential system software that runs on Apple’s mobile devices.

The focus of the security researchers, as described at the CIA conferences, was to target the GID key, which Apple implants on all devices that use the same processors. For instance, Apple’s A4 processor was used in the iPhone 4, the iPod Touch and the original iPad. All of those devices used the same GID. As Apple designs new processors and faster devices that use those processors, the company creates new GIDs. If someone has the same iPhone as her neighbor, they have the exact same GID key on their devices. So, if intelligence agencies extract the GID key, it means they have information useful to compromising any device containing that key.

At the 2011 Jamboree conference, there were two separate presentations on hacking the GID key on Apple’s processors. One was focused on non-invasively obtaining it by studying the electromagnetic emissions of — and the amount of power used by — the iPhone’s processor while encryption is being performed. Careful analysis of that information could be used to extract the encryption key. Such a tactic is known as a “side channel” attack. The second focused on a “method to physically extract the GID key.”

Whatever method the CIA and its partners use, by extracting the GID — which is implanted on the processors of all Apple mobile devices — the CIA and its allies could be able to decrypt the firmware that runs on the iPhone and other mobile devices. This would allow them to seek out other security vulnerabilities to exploit. Taken together, the documents make clear that researching each new Apple processor and mobile device, and studying them for potential security flaws, is a priority for the CIA.

According to the 2011 document describing the Jamboree presentations on Apple’s processor, the researchers asserted that extracting the GID key could also allow them to look for other potential gateways into Apple devices. “If successful, it would enable decryption and analysis of the boot firmware for vulnerabilities, and development of associated exploits across the entire A4-based product-line, which includes the iPhone 4, the iPod touch and the iPad.”
https://theintercept.com/2015/03/10/ispy-cia-campaign-steal-apples-secrets/

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles