India Chooses U.S.-Built Javelin Anti-Tank Missile

Rahul Singh

Country flag
To all who are seeing Javelin or any man portable a problem for NAG missile. NAG is in all different weight class and its warhead alone weight 8 Kg. Now compare it with weight of warhead of Spike and Javelin, you will get the idea.

Nag is something close to AGM-65, which with change of seeker double up as perfect CAS missile and can be launched from Helicopters, fighter jets, vehicles(like jeep and IFVs).

Nag is awesome ATGM and cheaper but regarding guidance its LOS or laser, therefore not a 100% stand off ATGM..
As far as i know NAG has imaging seeker(something close to TV guidance) with LOBL and if i am not mistaken, after launch the NAG Missile guides itself on its own irrespective of whether Namica -- whose IR telescope takes picture of target for feeding into Nag's computer-- has gone off line of sight to target or not. So why it can't be called fully fire and forget?

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
As far as i know NAG has imaging seeker(something close to TV guidance) with LOBL and if i am not mistaken, after launch the NAG Missile guides itself on its own irrespective of whether Namica -- whose IR telescope takes picture of target for feeding into Nag's computer-- has gone off line of sight to target or not. So why it can't be called fully fire and forget?
The land version has been tested from a tracked vehicle known as NAMICA (Nag Missile Carrier). With the IR version of the missile, targets are acquired using a thermal sight, and are then assigned to the nose-mounted IIR seeker.The NAMICA version of the missile is a 'lock-on before launch' system. This is where the target is identified and designated before the missile is launched.
My Bad!
Interesting to know that NAG have such Fire and forget tech!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nag_missile

And its more like hellfire..

sandeepdg

Does anybody the quantity of Javelins to be imported by India ?

charlie

Country flag
i am really amazed how an amateur like u can post up things like this do u know anything about the kornet why are you so blind about Javelin
see bro
1 thing is Merkava tanks are far more well armoured and i can say the most heavily armoured then any other tanks in the world

2 they are much more better then the M1A2 tanks

3 take a look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7s5lnjXR5s&feature=related

4 Israel learnt a big lesson that no matter how much armour u put in tanks it's no use so they started a weapon called Trophy system http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaVKg1yVoRA&feature=fvw

5 kornet is damn cheap when compared to javelin and it is deadly too

6 you dont need to destroy the whole tank as you seen in the video of javelin i mean take a look at the tank that is hit by RPG when u look form outside it's looks as nothing happen but from inside the tank is completely destroyed

7 my uncle is a defence contractor and he told me that javelin is just a waste of money when so many other option are available

8 wekipedia is edited by guys like u any one can add any crap atlest get a reliable source and then comment

well i dont mean to hurt u in anyway and i am sorry if i said anything rude but without knowing much u are telling that kornet is crap really pissed me off

dineshchaturvedi

Country flag
I checked with my contact with MOD, they are not even aware that we are buying Javelin. When I told him that I read the news all he did was smile from chin to chin. The way I read that smile was this "You idiot you know more then us what we are buying". He then told me they do not need Javelin as Nag is sufficient. I asked him what about Manpad version of Nag, will you not need something like that, he replied infantry always moves with column of artillery hence this question is null and void.

JBH22

I checked with my contact with MOD, they are not even aware that we are buying Javelin. When I told him that I read the news all he did was smile from chin to chin. The way I read that smile was this "You idiot you know more then us what we are buying". He then told me they do not need Javelin as Nag is sufficient. I asked him what about Manpad version of Nag, will you not need something like that, he replied infantry always moves with column of artillery hence this question is null and void.
The infantry PERHAPS not but for special forces operating behind enemy lines it appears to be useful for them,BTW in spite moving with artillery infantrymen are issued with Anti-tank weapons Shipon or Carl Gustav 84mm.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
i am really amazed how an amateur like u can post up things like this do u know anything about the kornet why are you so blind about Javelin
see bro
5 kornet is damn cheap when compared to javelin and it is deadly too

7 my uncle is a defence contractor and he told me that javelin is just a waste of money when so many other option are available
@charlie,
AT5 is good anti-Armour Missile, we use it on our BMPs, and mostly Milan were used on 4x4s,but both are wire guided, Jav provide us the solution of having pure stand off missile, the High-cost is because of its tech..

dineshchaturvedi

Country flag
My biggest worry is when we are buying Javelin or anything else why is MOD does not have a clue about it?

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Very least is known about Man Portable version of Nag and whatever is there on net may purely be speculative. BTW do not expect program initiation until army asks, DRDO has changed.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
As far as I have seen in the videos and images of IA and BSF in Kashmir, they always have a couple of men equipped with an ATM and MGL(multiple grenade launcher). If there is a squad of 10-15 personnels patrolling in the far and out of the reach of artillery places then what as the artillery cannot reach everywhere on the operations.
And tell me one thing that to destroy a single tank or an IFV, will a squad call an artillery support which needs almost a minute time to operate in which the tank would have destroyed the whole squad.

charlie

Country flag
well to be true india would have opted for Israel spike system because they bribe our officials very well with their gifts but spike failed miserable in the field trials there was no way we could have bought it i know this because of my uncle works with the defence agency i don't wanna be specific on this but the javelin that we are gonna by is through FMS and we are gonna loose much money when we buy anything from FMS so it better we buy some russian or european ATGM, because Javelin is too costly then any other ATGM in the world and when it comes to logical thinking it dose give us the more or less the same result

charlie

Country flag
well do u know anything about asian wars it not like middle eastern wars in asian wars tanks do not attacks alone there is the whole division of tanks that attack, man do some reading before you post anything

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
well to be true india would have opted for Israel spike system because they bribe our officials very well with their gifts but spike failed miserable in the field trials there was no way we could have bought it i know this because of my uncle works with the defence agency i don't wanna be specific on this but the javelin that we are gonna by is through FMS and we are gonna loose much money when we buy anything from FMS so it better we buy some russian or european ATGM, because Javelin is too costly then any other ATGM in the world and when it comes to logical thinking it dose give us the more or less the same result
Man, are you comparing "any" ATGM with Javelin? Let me remind you that it is currently the best proven ATGM that is operationally present on earth.
That means that you know nothing about Javelin. Spike may be good, but it is rejected by our officials only after the field trials and for Javelin, our officers had just fired 2-3 missiles from Javelin and they are so impressed with it that they suggested to send a RFI for Javelin for its purchase.
I have mentioned its qualities of Javelin in the earlier posts in the same thread so if you want you can have a look at them.

charlie

Country flag
Yatharth Singh
Man, are you comparing "any" ATGM with Javelin? Let me remind you that it is currently the best proven ATGM that is operationally present on earth.
That means that you know nothing about Javelin. Spike may be good, but it is rejected by our officials only after the field trials and for Javelin, our officers had just fired 2-3 missiles from Javelin and they are so impressed with it that they suggested to send a RFI for Javelin for its purchase.
I have mentioned its qualities of Javelin in the earlier posts in the same thread so if you want you can have a look at them.

well i still dont understand why are you so blind about Javelin, and i did post a comment saying way India should not go for Javelin but i guess you might have missed that and by the way thanks for notifying me to quote the names who i am commenting on

well i will post that comment in the most simple way i can

1 normally what are ATGM used for - to destroy tanks

2 this is what Javelin dose to a tank http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDDxq-3UTZE&feature=fvst (pretty impressive)

3 this is what kornet dose to a tank see the end of the video you will see that after the kornet hit noting happen to the tank from the outside but from the inside it's completely destroyed , korent has long range and it was not build to blow up the tanks like javelin dose but it still destroys the tank http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-6UWGPfwJs&feature=related

4 as i said before Merkava is the most well armoured tank in the world and even it could not withstand kornet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7s5lnjXR5s&feature=related

5 and spike was never a good missile, it didnt even pass one test in India if it did even pass one test then i am damn sure that india would have gone for it and it would have been the same case as it happen with our popye and harpy missile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpHlhitxDkw

6 the only scenario that i can see where we can use javelin actually is by special forces using it in beyond the enemies lines

now tell me you really wanna buy an expensive thing that makes a big boom or u wanna buy something cheaper which gives u nearly the same result by knocking out the tank

i mean look at the price of single unit of that missile and add 20 to 35 % more as it is gonna come through FMS ,think a bit neutrally and you will understand i mean it ok for US to use that costly weapon but we dont have a massive budget like them i know that Javelin is far better then other ATGM but what the use of it when u have a cheaper option available

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Yatharth Singh

well i still dont understand why are you so blind about Javelin, and i did post a comment saying way India should not go for Javelin but i guess you might have missed that and by the way thanks for notifying me to quote the names who i am commenting on

well i will post that comment in the most simple way i can

1 normally what are ATGM used for - to destroy tanks

2 this is what Javelin dose to a tank http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDDxq-3UTZE&feature=fvst (pretty impressive)

3 this is what kornet dose to a tank see the end of the video you will see that after the kornet hit noting happen to the tank from the outside but from the inside it's completely destroyed , korent has long range and it was not build to blow up the tanks like javelin dose but it still destroys the tank http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-6UWGPfwJs&feature=related

4 as i said before Merkava is the most well armoured tank in the world and even it could not withstand kornet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7s5lnjXR5s&feature=related

5 and spike was never a good missile, it didnt even pass one test in India if it did even pass one test then i am damn sure that india would have gone for it and it would have been the same case as it happen with our popye and harpy missile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpHlhitxDkw

6 the only scenario that i can see where we can use javelin actually is by special forces using it in beyond the enemies lines

now tell me you really wanna buy an expensive thing that makes a big boom or u wanna buy something cheaper which gives u nearly the same result by knocking out the tank

i mean look at the price of single unit of that missile and add 20 to 35 % more as it is gonna come through FMS ,think a bit neutrally and you will understand i mean it ok for US to use that costly weapon but we dont have a massive budget like them i know that Javelin is far better then other ATGM but what the use of it when u have a cheaper option available
You said that Kornet is not an anti Tank missile which is completely false. If you even dont know this then I am sorry for you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9M133_Kornet

During the operation Iraqi freedom, Kornets were rumoured to have been used by Iraqi forces to destroyed American M1 Abrams tanks. GlobalSecurity.org claims that at least eight M1 Abrams tanks and one M2 Bradley infantry fighting vehicle were disabled by Kornets. However, none were destroyed.However when they were used by Hezbollah fighters to destroy and damage Israeli Merkava tanks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9M133_Kornet#Combat_history

Where as in the Javelin tests, it destroyed an M1 Abrams during the top attack mode.

You said that I am completely blind about the Javelin. You will realize that I am right when you`ll fire a javelin yourself and will experience its power and capabilities..

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
javelin is a 3rd gen shoulder launched atgm which is exceedingly costly and with a range of just 2.5 km.so it would be wise for IA to wait for manpad version of nag(which the IA themselves claim to be the deadliest atgm).as for javelin i am not sure if it can penetrate kontakt-5 or kaktus era. if the IA wants a short range highly effective anti tank weapon for infantry use it must go for the russian rpg-30 which can even render aps ineffective.the relatively less deadly rpg-29 easily penetrates the mia2 abhrams,challenger,merkava tanks on regular ocassion

charlie

Country flag
Yatharth Singh
You said that Kornet is not an anti Tank missile which is completely false. If you even dont know this then I am sorry for you.

when did i say kornet is not an anti tank missile man i am pitching kornet instead of buying javelin, are you ever reading what i am writing bro and one other thing at least get a good source to read from, wekipedia is edited by bunch of amateurs and i even gave you the proof what kornet did in Lebanon even the mighty merkava cannot stand against it do u think M1A1 can with stand it?

charlie

Country flag
And i give up Yatharth Singh i cant make you understand you are just too much obsessed with Javelin

VersusAllOdds

Javelin is a beast! But it's criminally expensive... Is India really capable of buying/maintaining the most sofisticated equipment worldwide (C17 is one example)? I don't know if it is, I really wonder!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles