India Chooses U.S.-Built Javelin Anti-Tank Missile

bhramos

Country flag
NEW DELHI - The Indian Army has decided to buy the Javelin anti-tank guided missile (ATGM), Defence Ministry sources here said.

The decision comes within a month of media reports that Pakistan had included the Javelin on its wish list of U.S. weapons it wants to purchase. Senior Indian Defence Ministry officials had favored buying Israeli-made Spike ATGMs until those reports.

India's Javelin-purchase decision is final, ministry sources said. The missile's sale to India was approved in the U.S. last week, but the amount and cost are not yet known.

The fire-and-forget Javelin weapon system is produced by a joint venture of U.S. companies Raytheon and Lockheed Martin. The anti-armor weapon also has a direct-attack mode for use against buildings or fortifications.

The Indian Army began considering acquiring the Javelin after it rejected the Spike during trials in 2008.

The Army's tests of the Javelin in land exercises last year were satisfactory, a service official said.

The Javelin purchase would be in addition to the Indian Nag ATGM, which already has been ordered. The Army's current ATGM arsenal includes old Milan and Konkours missiles.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=4724799&c=LAN&s=TOP

Good decision,
But what about Nag ATM?

bhramos

Country flag
FGM-148 Javelin Anti-Tank Missile

Last edited by a moderator:

StealthSniper

Yeah, this is good news ONLY if it doesn't affect our Nag ATM and we still continue to develop more indigenous systems. I am afraid that buying foreign systems will halt our indigenous development and that is bad.

neo29

After developing NAG ... the DRDO has the capability to build a shoulder fired Anti tank Missile. Wonder why they did not proceed with it and opted to import.

wild goose

After developing NAG ... the DRDO has the capability to build a shoulder fired Anti tank Missile. Wonder why they did not proceed with it and opted to import.
It could also be to block Pakistan from purchasing those.

It seems they were also trying to get these.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Javelin is best ATGM in the world and with NAG, IA will have a formidable ATGM inventory..

AT-5 = Vehicle
NAG = Vehicle and Air
Javelins = Man portable

Javelins are indeed costly but looking at the situation of defense purchase i would say have a enough Javelins to equipped all three major strike force..

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Javelins were on the cards ever since the US military got it for the joint exercise some time back. IA was impressed with it. It will in no way come at the expense of the Nag as both of them are different. Javelin is man portable, Nag is tank and heli mounted. Both together can create another "Longewala" when the time comes.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Yeah, this is good news ONLY if it doesn't affect our Nag ATM and we still continue to develop more indigenous systems. I am afraid that buying foreign systems will halt our indigenous development and that is bad.
Had you ever experienced Javelin ATGM? If you had then you`ll never have any contradiction in its purchase. If I would have been there in MoD then I would have purchased it with my eyes closed.
Yes Nag program must be promoted but currently what to do? India doesnt have any Man portable ATGM so we are bound to look for a man portable ATGM in the international market. And if nag has to overcome Javelin then DRDO had to work a lot. Javelin weighs 11.8 Kg whereas DRDO is predicting the weight of upcoming man portable NAG ATGM to be around 14 kg.

I experienced Javelin in the training in the OFFICIAL(and I mean official) game of the U.S. ARMY i.e., "US Army:Special Forces" (its an online multiplayer game and we have have to sign in into the game with a user id).
Now dont say that," its just the game kiddo" because really its not just the game but a mirror of the US army. Its not like other games but it shows what happens in the US army. During training, initially I was trained on a simulater of Javelin ATGM. Then I was taken to the real field where I fired 10-20 missiles.

Javelin is an excellent ATGM with a great sight and targeting capability.Its the best. Just awsome. Not getting words to praise it. Its excellent and above all. DRDO really have to work hard in order to get their upcoming product to be sold profitably.

JBH22

Javelin can be best used by Ghatak or special forces deadly and effective,for the infantry we have Milan,Kornet and Nag.
What's the harm in getting some chills and frills for the troops.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Not yet a shoulder fired ATM. It is currently only a IFV and chopper mounted ATM. DRDO is working on its man portable version but god knows that when it will be completed. Also DRDO has a challenge to make a better ATGM than the Javelin so that ti could be sold profitably over the globe including India(of course).

Neil

Country flag
i dont thnk nag project will be affected in any way.....nag project is a multi-purpose project...nag missiles will not only for land base strikes but also for our future LCH which is why it cant have an impact on our projects at all....

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
i wonder how many more shoulder fired atgm's do india need.last year i heard that they we purchasing 4100 milan 2t.

Country flag
I am suprised we never got Kornets?? They were reportedly used by Hezbollah to stop Israeli Merkovas so it is said??

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
i wonder how many more shoulder fired atgm's do india need.last year i heard that they we purchasing 4100 milan 2t.
You heard absolutely right. But tell me one thing, do you think that that only 4000-5000 AT launchers are sufficient for an army of 1.4 million personnels(approx). Also we have BSF, CRPF on the front line countering terrorism.
You know what, if I would have been given the power to purchase man portable ATGM for Indian Army then I would have gone only for Javelin and none other else. Nothing can match Javelin trust me. I support the Javelin deal at all cost and in the maximum quantity as possible.

JBH22

Kornet is a simply a crap. It cannot destroy even a single M1 Abrams in the Iraqi Freedom. Only 8 M1 Abrams and 1 M2 Bradley infantry fighting vehicle were just disabled but not destroyed. Its good that India has not much of these crap missiles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9M133_Kornet#Combat_history
depends on which variant you are talking factor into this training levels of Iraqis etc..
Kornet cheaper than Milan or Javelin.anyways india cannot afford large scale acquisition of Javelin so this IMHO is an acquisition for special forces

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Javelin is best, i used its original simulator in DEFEXPO 2010 and it was very easy to operate, Best things abt Javelin are:

1> Fire and forget.
2> Top attack mode against Armour!

Nag is awesome ATGM and cheaper but regarding guidance its LOS or laser, therefore not a 100% stand off ATGM..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles