India & China were the biggest economies throughout recorded history

Sambha ka Boss

Re: India & China were the biggest economies throughout recorded histo

I don't want to argue anymore, but I still think that you cannot blame Brits 2014 to what happened 1814. You are just fooling yourselves, sorry. I will study the east India company, thanks for the advice.
I agree no need to blame Brits now but its also true, the effect of colonial exploitation don't go away in 100 years.

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned

I think this never ending hate against the British is counter productive. For one I think it prevents national introspection (on what's ailing the nation and what's to be done about it) as all ills are blamed on the British. Of course we should not forget about the colonialism but we should already move on. Take the best from our local history and culture and from the British and then apply them into current and future challenges. Whatever we do we must be pragmatic, not emotional.

(Just my 10 cents)
Not sure if stating established historical fact can be termed as hate.

Voldemort

Country flag

The population of India from 1945 went up from 300 Million to 1.25 Billion in 2014...

Now do the maths how much it takes to feed 1 Billion people...
Finland has a population of 5 million. It is quite impossible for him to even imagine issues of a 1.2 billion population country. Hence we see the aid bullshit cum trolling every now and then. It is a ploy to assert the little Scandinavian nation's significance in the world. Japan is our biggest aid donor, but do we come across such wailing from them? Do we ask for aid? No. They force us to take it like this. in.news.yahoo.com/uk-govt-facing-grave-political-embarrassment-over-not-061416989.html

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned

Tzot, tzot... you are talking besides the point, circling around the question like cat circles a hot pot of porridge...
@jouni Do you even know what Marshall Plan stands for & what its implications were, for war-ravaged EU nations ? Please do not deflect when confronted with straight facts. Lets us know if India ever received any such aid from anyone despite centuries of loot & man-made famines ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sambha ka Boss

Finland has a population of 5 million. It is quite impossible for him to even imagine issues of a 1.2 billion population country. Hence we see the aid bullshit cum trolling every now and then. It is a ploy to assert the little Scandinavian nation's significance in the world. Japan is our biggest aid donor, but do we come across such wailing from them? Do we ask for aid? No. They force us to take it like this. in.news.yahoo.com/uk-govt-facing-grave-political-embarrassment-over-not-061416989.html
This is their population after majority of Europeans migrated to the new world Americas and Australia during colonial era.

Sambha ka Boss

What was the population of Finland in 1945 and now in 2014 ??
Actually, when their population growth rate was high they got new land in settle in New world(Americas, Australia and Africa) and thus one of the main reason of Europe still being thinly populated. Now, family planning is well implemented in social framework but that don't mean you can belittle whites left Europe in huge numbers.

jouni

Royal Navy tried to invade Finland also 200 years ago, luckily we kicked them back to the sea. Narrowly avoiding the faith of India.Ateneum Art Museum

jouni

@jouni Do you even know what Marshall Plan stands for & what its implications were, for war-ravaged EU nations ? Please do not deflect when confronted with straight facts. Lets us know if India ever received any such aid from anyone despite centuries of loot & man-made famines ?
I know what it is and Finland did not get any.

jouni

10 REASONS FOR INDIAN POVERTY

1. over population
India is seventh largest country in the world according to the area but 2nd largest in the population and their is not a big difference of population in first China and second India.
due to a very big amount of population we are facing the scarcity of resources and we cannot feed population in a proper way. The demand of goods is always greater then the availability or production in our country.

2. Low production agriculture
Agriculture is the very old tradition of our country but now we are not able to produce the amount by which we can fill the stomach of all the Indians properly and the main reason for low production in agricultural field is use of old agricultural technique, no proper capital investment, no proper irrigation facilities etc.

3. Under utilized resources
We are even not optimizing the resources which we are having properly our young and innovative youth is seeking jobs but not finding the appropriate packages many proper graduated and hard working people are not getting appropriate jobs so they are migrating to the foreign countries and we are loosing an innovative Indian.

4. Low rate of economic development
The rate of development of our country is low as compared to other nations and we are not growing at a proper rate. Our growth rate is less then the required levels and this developed a gap between level of availability and requirement of goods and hence the result is poverty.

5. Rise in prices of goods
The rise in prices of a common man's basic needs had made the life of a common man difficult and this makes very difficult to meet the minimum needs for lower income groups.

6. Unemployment
The number of unemployed Indians is continuously increasing and thus creating an army of unemployed Indian youth. The number of job seekers is increasing continuously but the job opportunities are not increasing at the rate at which should they increase and the result of this is poverty in India.

7. Shortage of capital and able entrepreneurship
For boosting up the growth of the country these two things are must and the major problem is that we are lacking in these two things and hence the result is inappropriate growth rate of our country.

8. Social factors
Today in 21th century also we are socially backward as we were 100 years ago today we use to discuss about the casts, religion etc of each other we don't think about of working together.

9. Corruption
Corruption is one of the biggest problem of our country and is one of the biggest reason for poverty in India the corrupted leaders etc had eaten up all the money of our country.

10. Political factors
The development plans in India are made with a favor that the people who are making the particular plans should also get the benefit and profit from the development plans why don't they think that the development plans are made for the people who are underdeveloped not for the one who are living luxurious life

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned

You can do without the Marshal aid, Finland got 0$, instead we had to pay to the allies 5 Bn in current money. Still we are one of the most affluent countries in Europe. Education, Equality, Ethics follow those three E´s and you´ll be fine.
Haha..county-sized nations preaching to millenia-old colossal civilizations how to go abt it..:rolleyes:

Voldemort

Country flag

Royal Navy tried to invade Finland also 200 years ago, luckily we kicked them back to the sea. Narrowly avoiding the faith of India.Ateneum Art Museum
What if they tried again? Or any other country tried? Bangladesh has a better navy than Finland. You have no frigates, corvettes or destroyers. And BTW, when the British took over India, there was no Indian Navy. In fact there was no India.

Ancient Indian

p = np :)

@jouni
I had enough of your aid comments.
If you are really give money, why don't you start donating your money on this forum?
I really want to see your big heart and your tendency to help our third world people.

jouni

What if they tried again? Or any other country tried? Bangladesh has a better navy than Finland. You have no frigates, corvettes or destroyers. And BTW, when the British took over India, there was no Indian Navy. In fact there was no India.
We are both in EU now, on the same side.

jouni

@jouni
I had enough of your aid comments.
If you are really give money, why don't you start donating your money on this forum?
I really want to see your big heart and your tendency to help our third world people.
Ok, I will donate.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag

This whole thread really makes no sense.
Off course, India and China would have had the biggest economies prior to the industrial revolution !!

Prior to the industrial revolution....the economy of a country was based purely on its agricultural output.
Even the technology to mine metals or petroluem did not exist, except for some basic things like iron ore, gold.

So isnt it plainly obvious that the countries that had the largest populations also had the biggest economies.
They simply had the most mouths to feed and therefore had to produce the highest agricultural output.

The European countries had populations that were a mere tiny fraction of India and China, so why would they produce 100 times the amount that they consumed, even if they could, since the means to export agricultural produce without spoiling did not exist then.

It was only after the industrial revolution, that the west was able to move ahead much faster because almost all the technology was developed in the West...and off-course they mined the colonies dry too.

I dont see the point......saying that India and China had the biggest economies does not say much.......they also had a population that was a hundred times larger.

BTW: As a corollary to my post above - Today China has just overtaken the US as the largest economy in the world; but again, that really does not say much about the quality of life for the average Chinese vs the average American.

China has 4 times the population of the US. So even if the Chinese economy were double the size of the US economy - it does not mean that the average Chinese will be richer or have a better life than the average American. Plus when you add the pollution mess that is China, corruption, aging population, and the wealth inequality between the rich and the working class......its really is a much more complicate picture.

I suspect the Chinese know all this only too well......that is why you dont see the Chinese making a big deal out of the fact that China has just surpassed the US economy.

Last edited:

Kharavela

Country flag

Tell me why, when Germany and Japan were bombed to ashes tens of millions of their best people laid dead, their cities ruined, their believes crushed. How come they rose from the ashes in few years and have been one of the biggest economies for the past at least 50 years? How come India have not been able to achieve similar things? Even if India has not suffered in wars, no destroyed infrastructure either? Tell me... Brits left India already 65 years ago...
Will you enlighten me please "How India & Britain whose GDP was 24% & 2% of world GDP respectively at the start of 17th century just reversed when India got independence in 1947".
Perhaps you've forgotten that entire Europe was unable to pay the price of "Kohinoor" diamond in its original shape. Shall we calculate all the loot during British-raj ?
Moreover, now in 2014, India has overtaken all European countries in both criteria: 1) Size of economy in absolute numbers & 2) Purchase Parity. India became 4th biggest economy in just 67 years after getting independence.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles