India cannot grow, if states like UP, WB, Bihar lags behind.

Galaxy

Country flag
The population of UP + undivided Bihar + WB = 420 million+ ( 37% of the country)

GDP size for UP + undivided Bihar + WB = around 300 billion (17%)

The GDP of the state of Uttar Pradesh was USD 128 billion last year out of the total GDP of India which was more in the region of USD 1.6 trillion. As such it was just 8% odd of the country's overall GDP. However potentially it can be 15% if not 20% of the overall GDP.

Bihar which was even further behind has moved forward significantly over the last 5-6 years. Still even after so much of the same the percapita GDP of Bihar is still less than 40% of the national average of USD 1500. Bihar grew 14% on average in last few years. However despite all this improvement the per capita GDP of BIHAR is still the lowest in the country. There is still a long way to go and state is on right path.

WB - Population 9% but Industrial and GDP growth is minimal and no steps taken in last 1-2 decades. In fact, When our economic reform started in early 90's, WB had an excellent opportunity to outperform and reach Top 5 states but it failed and today, It's Per capita is 30% lower of the national average. Possible Top 5 to Last 5!

Government of India should start form economic group, so that politics will not play important role and they reach national average.

Today, we are USD 1.6 trillion (not 1.8 because of currency valuation). Having said that, from now onwards....we need every states to perform if we need to reach USD 5 trillion by end of 2020. The states like Gujarat, Mah, South and North India (Delhi, Pun, Har, HP) have their own limitation. They cannot grow 15% every year.

Last edited:

warriorextreme

Country flag
UP and Bihar can become powerhouse of India if they get better leaders....Bihar has improved a lot under nitish, cant say same about UP though...

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
The main reason is the regional political parties are ruling the roost in these two states. The regional politics is a major drag to these economies yes people can give exception of TN. But by and large the point is true

Galaxy

Country flag
I didn't not added NE states because population is 4% odd of the country's population. GDP size could be 2.5%-3%. Difference is just 1%-1.5% compare with 15%-20% with UP, undivided Bih, WB.

Although in long run, every state should do well including NE. However, Assam and NE cannot impact overall national average GDP. My point was solely based on GDP size/growth of the country!

Last edited:

Oracle

NE needs special attention, this region has lot of potential.
I agree. Most NE states are ruled by Congress and have many scams which are not reported in mainstream media. My native place got a 1000 crore scam under Congress. Money is there, but no accountability, hence the corruption and zero development.

pankaj nema

Country flag
I would only say that " Hum Honge Kamyaab or We Shall Overcome "

The beauty of Indian states is that they are all aware of their short comings

Bihar was almost written off but it came back spectacularly

WB has voted out the Communists and Mamta will NOT fail her
voters and in UP The New CM is looking to turn things around

So Similarly all laggards will make it

The laggards will move forward but it will surely take a lot of time and effort
Let us keep the faith

Last edited:

pmaitra

WB has voted out Mamta and in UP The New CM is looking to turn things around

Let us keep the faith
That was a typo, right?

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
i have got no hope for UP.in UP people doesn't care about the development rather they are more interested in cast based politics.thakurs don't like sc's,sc's don't like anybody and all that crap.they seriously lack in education.i heard once a student of tenth grade was not able to do his signature when asked by the court judge.

Oracle

WB has voted out Mamta and in UP The New CM is looking to turn things around

Let us keep the faith
:facepalm:

Iamanidiot

For UP the SC's and OBC's are its only hope for development.I have seen enough UP thakurs and brahmins and frankly their attitudes doesn't impress me

Galaxy

Country flag
It's not about South or East India or any other part.

Overall, West and South India are doing well.

Even in North India (Punjab, Haryana, Delhi, Uttrakhand, HP and lately Rajasthan are also doing fine). Of course, there is always scope of improvement but nevertheless they are at par or better than national average.

Even in east India, Odissa and even Bihar started doing well. Bihar grew 14% on average in last few years which is one of the best performing state. Another 8-10 years and it will be close to national average if not better!

IMHO, The problem is with UP, Bihar and WB. Bihar is on right track but more i read more i feel UP and WB will dampen overall economy in long run primarily for three reasons.

1> GDP Difference is huge 2> Population growth especially UP is very high vis-a-vis other states. 3> Lack of good governance and unfortunately no hope!

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles