India-Bangladesh relations

yasinbin

blah blah blah, if i wanna find an illegal Indian immigrant in Dhaka, i just need to go to my local barber shop and ask " Dada how far is Damdam from Calcutta!!". The answer is called " Move on". And stop showing your immaturity by using slag words, i wonder, 1003 post, did you get all that by using these kind of words?
Thank you.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
blah blah blah, if i wanna find an illegal Indian immigrant in Dhaka, i just need to go to my local barber shop and ask " Dada how far is Damdam from Calcutta!!". The answer is called " Move on". And stop showing your immaturity by using slag words, i wonder, 1003 post, did you get all that by using these kind of words?
Thank you.
dude your country is poorer than us, why would indians want to come there? I really thought you were not the brainwashed type! Now show me one article to support your claims? I can show hundred authentic articles to support Bangla immigrants in my country. My question war fair enough, why are these parasites living in my country when they so conveniently left us in 1947?? Din't we already give you all a seperate country?

And you dint answer my question, you have just deflected the question into my language. So does that mean you have no issues with what message i have posted?

PS: THAT post was posted by me when i just joined the forum. So language is immature in that post. It may be immature now, but what is more important, my language or what i meant in my post?

Last edited:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Dude, you are speaking as though your country is ultra developed and mine is poor? Do you know your country is much poorer than mine?

Already our population and resources are stretched so why are the idiots immigrating from your country coming here?

If they want a good life, they should work for improvement of your country, not illegally immigrate into ours!

And you have not provided one piece of evidence to support your claims,

your claims are similiar to saying Mexico has illegal immigrants from USA!? Its plain stupid!!!

Last edited:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Arm dude, as of now your country's PPP percapita is just 1700$ while my country's PPP percapita is 3500$ . My country's percapita income is twice large as yours. I dint even figure in the GDP growth rates. If that is considered, we will be four times as large as your income in ten to twelve years. Why would any one want to come to your country from mine unless they are nuts? So dont read too much propaganda papers. Its not good for your knowledge!

Last edited:

devgupt

Country flag
There are Bihari muslims in Dhaka- who migrated during Pakistan years.Earlier they were bashed as Pakistanis, Now they are bashed as Indian immigrants

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
There are Bihari muslims in Dhaka- who migrated during Pakistan years.Earlier they were bashed as Pakistanis, Now they are bashed as Indian immigrants
but, what can 'we' do about it. They chose to be with them, dint they. Why should we give a damn about them?

ejazr

Ambassador
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=240840

Bangladesh has proposed providing transhipment facilities to India through the Chittagong and Mongla seaports by floating a new idea called coastal shipping.

India has instantly welcomed the offer and both countries agreed to explore the new idea for mutual benefit.

To this effect, Bangladesh has suggested signing an agreement or protocol for transhipment of Indian cargo by using conventional coastal vessels.

The proposal was made at a two-day shipping secretary-level meeting between Dhaka and New Delhi.

The meet ended yesterday with the signing of an agreement for renewal of the Protocol on Inland water Transit and Trade for the next two years.

Bangladeshi coastal vessels may be used commercially for transporting cargoes to and from India through Chittagong and Mongla ports, the proposal said.

Through implementing the plan, the rest of India will be connected with its east and south-east areas such as Visakhapatnam, Paradip of Orissa and Haldia of West Bengal.

Bangladesh will consider foreign exchange earnings and employment of crews in allowing the transhipment, it said.

Shipping Secretary Abdul Mannan Hawlader said yesterday the proposal to introduce coastal shipping between the two countries was demanded by the trade body of coastal ship owners in Bangladesh. According to ship owners, almost half of the inland and coastal vessels are unused.

"The cost will be very high if we carry goods from India by truck. But if we carry goods through the sea, the cost as well as travel time will be significantly reduced. Both countries can be benefited if coastal shipping is introduced."

Hawlader said 98 percent of vessels engaged in carrying goods under the water protocol are Bangladeshi although it has provision for a 50-50 use of Bangladeshi and Indian vessels.

Sources said the decision to introduce coastal shipping in the next few months has almost been finalised. However, the issue of customs fees and service charges were not discussed at the meeting.

There is also no mention in the proposal as to whether Indian ships will be engaged in carrying goods.

Officials said it had been decided that standing committees under the water protocol will look into the legal and technical matters of coastal shipping.

The committees will also submit reports regarding amendment of the protocol and introduction of coastal shipping within the next three months.

Indian Shipping Secretary Pradeep Kumar Sinha, who led an eight-member delegation at the meeting, told reporters that his country had welcomed the Bangladesh proposal and a joint committee had been formed to prepare reports in this regard.

A body led by the director general of shipping department and comprising representatives from the shipping ministry, Bangladesh Shipping Corporation, Chittagong Port Authority and Mongla Port Authority will soon visit Visakhapatnam and Paradip ports and Haldia. They will also talk to the Indian authorities.

The Indian side will also have a committee and prepare a report in this respect. Both the committees will submit their reports to their governments for a higher level decision.

Abdul Mannan Hawlader told journalists that the committee headed by the shipping department DG would submit the report within the next three to six months. The next steps would be taken if the committee found the proposal economically viable and feasible.

He said the coastal shipping would cover import, export and carrying of transit goods between the two countries.

Replying to a question, the shipping secretary said, "There has to be an agreement for the use of Chittagong and Mongla seaports to make coastal shipping operative."

However, officials said it was yet to be decided whether the proposal of coastal shipping operation would be implemented through a new agreement/protocol or under the existing Protocol on Inland Water Transit and Trade that Bangladesh and India signed in 1972.

But competent sources said transhipment facilities would be provided to India under the existing protocol through necessary amendments.

Meanwhile, Bangladesh has also agreed to consider transit and transhipment of 35,000 tonnes of Indian food items to the northeastern states of the neighbouring country through Ashuganj-Akhaura.

"India proposed transporting 35,000 tonnes of food as relief materials and we said Bangladesh might consider this as a special case if relief materials are carried," Hawlader said.

At the meeting, the Indian side placed eight proposals, including long-term validity of water protocol, transit operation and transhipment at Ashuganj for movement of cargo to its northeastern states, movement of truck and trailers through Akhaura-Agartala and a land customs station at Mongla port and a new port of call.

Dhaka's agenda was the operation of coastal vessels between Bangladesh and India, enhancement of charges for maintenance of routes (Sherpur-Zakiganj and Sirajganj-Daikhawa) and safety of navigation.

Meeting sources said India laid top importance on using Ashuganj river port for movement of cargo to its northeastern states, but regretted that Ashuganj had a shortage of necessary facilities, including infrastructure.

In response, the Bangladesh side said the government had taken up development projects to make the port fully-operational at a cost of $62 million and also urged New Delhi to improve the port with Indian grants.

The Indian shipping secretary said his government would soon carry out a feasibility study on Ashuganj at its own cost and it was very much keen to take up a development project for the port.

CUSTOMS FEES
The Bangladesh side proposed increasing customs fees and imposition of service charges and bank guarantees on Indian vessels.

But the Indian delegation questioned the logic behind the imposition of service charges as the goods were not being unloaded inside Bangladesh.

Dhaka said as customs officials oversaw the transportation of Indian goods through river routes, India must pay fees and service charges.

In this regard, a decision has been left to the revenue boards of the two countries. However, the fees and charges will be reasonable and honourable for both the countries.

NEW PORTS OF CALL
A joint technical committee has been formed to study the feasibility of the Indian proposal for inclusion of the river Surma on the route under the protocol. The Indian side also proposed setting up new ports of call at Chhatak in Bangladesh and Dhubri in India.

India agreed as Bangladesh proposed that Badarpur could be declared an extension of Karimganj port of call. From now on Bangladesh flag carrier vessels will be allowed to anchor at Badarpur.

The Indian side also agreed to remove navigational problems for Bangladeshi vessels operating in the country and cooperate with Dhaka in fighting pirates.

ladder

Country flag
This happens when artificial restraint is observed
Bangladeshi miscreants attack BSF personnel
KOLKATA: Suspected Bangladeshi miscreants crossed over the international border near Khanjipur in the Krishnanagar sector of Nadia and attacked Border Security Force (BSF) jawans with lethal weapons, early on Thursday.

A BSF head constable was seriously injured after the miscreants hurled three crude bombs at the Indian border guards. The head constable, who was identified as Shiv Shankaran, was first taken to the Tehatta primary health centre before being shifted to a hospital in Krishnanagar.

The incident occurred less than a week after a regional level meeting between the BSF and the Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) in Dhaka where the Indian delegation expressed its concern about incidents of crime and cattle smuggling along the international border. The miscreants who attacked the BSF patrol on Thursday are suspected to be cattle smugglers.

"In spite of the violent attack, the BSF personnel on duty observed restraint and didn't open fire on the miscreants. We have adopted a non-lethal policy where jawans can only fire in self defence. The miscreants violated laws by crossing over the international border, damaging the fence which is Indian government property and attacking BSF personnel. They may have felt safe as we have been maintaining a non-lethal policy to reduce the number of casualties in BSF firing. We have registered a complaint with the BGB which should have prevented the miscreants from approaching the international border. A commandant level flag meeting was also convened where the BSF registered its protest," an officer said.

The miscreants, numbering 15-20, were first spotted as they entered through a gap in the fence that they had cut. On being challenged, the miscreants hurled three country-made bombs at the BSF personnel. Shankaran suffered severe splinter injuries to his right thigh and wrist.

"Over the last several years, Bangladeshi authorities had been raising the issue of deaths due to BSF firing along the international border. Finally, with the view to improve relations with Bangladesh, the Government of India decided to adopt a non-lethal policy along the border. Jawans were instructed not to open fire unless their lives are threatened. The number of deaths along the international border has come down and Bangladesh should now ensure that there is no illegal movement from its side along the border. After all, we have our security concerns and the morale of the troops to consider," another officer said.
Bangladeshi miscreants attack BSF personnel - The Times of India

praneetbajpaie

Tihar Jail
Banned
Thank you.
Come to Kolkata and see the number of Bangladeshis lining up at the hospitals for medical treatment. It would seem that Bangladesh does not have a healthcare sector to speak of. I can't speak for other Indian cities or states but Murshidabad is filled with these Bangladeshis (illegal or otherwise) and they speak in the Bangal language, not chaste Bengali.
Yasinbin, some questions? Why can't your government provide proper healthcare facilities to your unwashed masses? Why do millions of these cretins come to "poor" India to avail of the medical treatment?

Some statistics for you, yasinbin. Please try and understand these facts and figures. I know your Madrasa educated brain won't comprehend this

Per Capita GDP (2012)

Bangladesh - $747
India - $1489

GDP per capita (current US$) | Data | Table

Poverty Rate (2010)

Bangladesh - 43.3%
India - 32.7%

Poverty headcount ratio at $1.25 a day (PPP) (% of population) | Data | Table

ladder

Country flag
India, Bangla to face off in court

- December date to hear 40-year-old dispute over patch of sea
New Delhi, Nov. 26: India and Bangladesh will confront each other this December in the UN's top arbitration court at The Hague in search of a final victory in a four-decade-long maritime dispute over a Bengal-sized, gas-rich patch of sea at the mouth of the Hariabhanga river.

The Permanent Court of Arbitration, the highest arbiter of territorial disputes between nation states for over 100 years, has decided to hear arguments on the dispute from December 9, senior government officials have told The Telegraph.

The court will declare its final verdict in March, the officials said. The court's judgment cannot be challenged under international law.

"After 40 years of dispute, this is it," an official said. "What the court decides will determine where we can fish, where we can hunt for minerals and where we can dig for oil and gas."

The neighbours have bickered over the about 80,000sqkm patch of sea in the Bay of Bengal from 1971, when Bangladesh was born. The patch includes a disputed maritime border — 12 nautical miles off the coast of each nation — and a large economic zone over which both assert exclusive rights.

In 2009, after a dozen rounds of inconclusive talks that started in 1974, Bangladesh had approached the Permanent Court of Arbitration, followed by India later that year.

At stake is the future livelihood of millions of Bengal and Odisha fishermen, for whom the settlement could open up miles of unchallenged open sea that both India and Bangladesh currently prevent each other from using for anything other than transit. As fish near the coast are depleted, fishermen are increasingly finding themselves forced to go further out to sea.

India in 2006 also discovered 100 trillion cubic feet of natural gas in a creek about 50km to the south of the mouth of the Hariabhanga, and within the contested region. This is almost twice what the entire Krishna-Godavari basin at the centre of the corporate battle between the Ambani siblings has been shown to hold to date.

The disputed stretch starts at the mouth of the Hariabhanga, where both India and Bangladesh have claimed an uninhabited island that emerged in the 1970s after a series of cyclones and sank in 2010 amid rising water levels.

The island itself isn't important for either nation, though India had planted a flag on it.

But whoever gets the island — called New Moore by India and South Talipatti by Bangladesh — will also gain a triangular slice of sea bordered by the river's mouth in the north, and the island in the south.

The disputed area expands further out at sea, because of differing arguments that India and Bangladesh will make before the arbitration court. India is arguing that the maritime territory and the exclusive economic zones be demarcated on the basis of "equidistance" — equal distance from the nearest point on the coast for both nations.

The principle of equidistance, recognised under the UN Convention of the Law of Sea, is ironically the principle that helped Bangladesh win a similar dispute with Myanmar last year.

But Bangladesh is arguing that the principle of equidistance does not hold in its dispute with India, because its coast has large and frequent concave dimples.

Instead, Bangladesh is arguing, the maritime territory should be demarcated on the principle of equity — equal areas of the sea for both nations.

Bangla clashes kill 9

Nine persons were killed in violence that rocked cities across Bangladesh as the main Opposition BNP today enforced a 48-hour transport blockade to push its demand for postponing the general election scheduled for January 5 amid a standoff over the interim government that will conduct the polls, PTI reported.

A paramilitary soldier was among nine persons killed in the violence that erupted soon after the Election Commission announced the poll schedule yesterday. Over 100 people, including policemen, were injured across the country.
India, Bangla to face off in court

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Indian Navy concerned over Bangladesh's decision to buy two submarines from China
Jayanta Gupta, The Times of India, 2 Dec 2013

LINK: timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Indian-Navy-concerned-over-Bangladeshs-decision-to-buy-two-submarines-from-China/articleshow/26750741.cms

KOLKATA: India is concerned with Bangladesh's decision to order two submarines from China. There are also indications that Chinese submarines have been sneaking into Indian territorial waters in the Bay of Bengal undetected. These developments have led to the Eastern Naval Command seeking more presence in the Bay of Bengal region.

"Why would Bangladesh need submarines? This decision by the government there and the ongoing strife in the country is a matter of concern for us. We also suspect that Chinese submarines are sneaking into Indian territorial waters in the Bay of Bengal region, though none has been detected as yet. This is reason enough for greater naval presence in the region. At the moment, India isn't really prepared for any conflict in the Bay of Bengal region near West Bengal due to the lack of adequate infrastructure," a senior Navy officer said.

Several measures have been proposed by the Navy in Bengal to improve the situation. While acquisition of land at Sagar Island for a missile battery is in its final stage, the ministry of defence has decided to bear part of the cost for setting up of the deep-draughted port there. This will allow naval ships to dock there and pick up supplies for patrolling the Bay of Bengal. The Navy is also going ahead with its plans for setting up an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) base at the Behala airfield.

"The Sagar port is of great strategic importance. As per the RITES report, there is a funding gap of nearly Rs 3,500 crore. There will be the need to base land-to-ship and surface-to-air missiles at Sagar. Apart from this, there will be need for a communications centre and radar station. During a conflict situation, an examination anchorage will be required to inspect vessels in the vicinity. This has to be within missile range. There will also be the need for storage space for rations and ammunition for ships. The infrastructure will be in place soon. Gradually, we plan to bring in moving missile coastal batteries (missiles mounted on trucks). If required, new missiles will be acquired. The MoD is ready to pump in funds for the port in Sagar as this will be crucial in the scheme of things. The Kolkata Port Trust has asked RITES to prepare a fresh financial report based on our offer," said Commodore Ravi Ahluwalia, naval officer in charge, West Bengal.

The Navy doesn't believe that the floating border outposts maintained by the Border Security Force (BSF) in the Sundarbans aren't adequate to prevent any sea-bound threat to the country. The NOIC believes that anti-national elements will target that area once security is tightened along the porous land orders. The UAVs will be crucial to check this.

"We are still working on land acquisition at the Behala airfield for the UAV base. We only require between 15-18 acres there for the base. The UAVs would take off from there and then their control would be handed over to a base in Sagar. The land that has been offered to us isn't quite satisfactory as there are some encroachments and the boundary isn't clearly demarcated," Commodore Ahluwalia said.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
Make no mistake, If BNP comes to power, we will have a problem in our hands. Whatever façade BKZ puts up, she is a thorn in our side and will remain so.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
From the above article:

"Why would Bangladesh need submarines? This decision by the government there and the ongoing strife in the country is a matter of concern for us. We also suspect that Chinese submarines are sneaking into Indian territorial waters in the Bay of Bengal region, though none has been detected as yet. This is reason enough for greater naval presence in the region. At the moment, India isn't really prepared for any conflict in the Bay of Bengal region near West Bengal due to the lack of adequate infrastructure," a senior Indian Navy officer said.
Does this mean they may snoop into sensitive military installations such as Chandipur test range or Army Eastern Command, Kolkata? :shocked:

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Bangladesh court sentences ULFA chief, 2 ex-ministers to death
DHAKA, January 30, 2014

LINK: thehindu.com/news/international/south-asia/bangladesh-court-sentences-ulfa-chief-2-exministers-to-death/article5634460.ece

A Bangladeshi court on Thursday handed down death penalty to 14 people, including the Jamaat-e-Islami chief and a senior leader of the separatist group ULFA, in the country's biggest ever weapons haul case, nearly 10 years after the seizure took place.

"The Metropolitan Special Tribunal-1 has handed down death penalty to 14," the private Samoy TV said soon after Judge SM Mojibur Rahman delivered the verdict in the crowded courtroom amid tight security.

United Liberation Front of Assam's (ULFA) military wing chief Paresh Barua was sentenced to death in absentia in the sensational 10-truck arms haul case.

Jamaat-e-Islami chief and former minister Matiur Rahman Nizami and ex-junior minister for Home Lutfozzaman Babar in the then Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP)-led rightwing government were also sentenced to death.

Only two of the convicts, Barua and former additional secretary Nurul Amin, were tried in absentia.

The two former generals given death penalty are the then DG of the apex National Security Intelligence (NSI) Brigadier General Abdur Rahim and former director of Directorate General of Forces Intelligence Major General Rezzakul Haider Chowdhury, who later became the NSI chief.

All the accused were tried under the Arms Act for illegal possession of firearms and the Special Powers Act, 1974 for weapon smuggling. Security and law enforcement agencies enforced a tight vigil as the court in south-eastern port city of Chittagong delivered the verdict.

The verdict comes nearly a decade after the "accidental" seizure of 10-truck loads of weapons destined for ULFA hideouts in Assam India through Bangladesh territory.

Around 1,500 boxes containing submachine guns, AK-47 assault rifles, submachine carbines, Chinese pistols, rocket launchers, 27,000 grenades and 11.41 million bullets were seized from 10 trucks on the early hours of April 2, 2004.
Great!! Now India's foreign policy is being implemented by Bangladesh. :namaste:

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
IAF Hands Over A Dakota Aircraft To Bangladesh Airforce

On a formal request from the Bangladesh Air Force and reviewing the historic ties, the IAF today handed over one Dakota aircraft from the IAF museum to the Bangladesh Air Force. The aircraft was gifted by Air Marshal SS Soman, Air Officer Commanding in Chief Western Air Command to Air Marshal Muhammad Enamul Bari, Chief of Bangladesh Air Force in a befitting ceremony at Air Force Station Palam. The Dakota aircraft has played a sterling role in the history of the Indian Air Force. Much nostalgia can be associated with the aircraft as it was one of the pioneers of the transport fleet of the Indian Air Force. The aircraft played a crucial role in the 1947-48 war and a pivotal role in liberation of Bangladesh and formation of Bangladesh Air Force. It was the first transport aircraft that landed at heights of 11500 ft in Leh by then Wg Cdr Mehar Singh. The aircraft was used for transporting troops in Srinagar during 1947-48 war and also for the famous Tangail drop, (the biggest and most ambitious air drop operation since World War II).

Chindits: IAF Hands Over A Dakota Aircraft To Bangladesh Airforce

Global Defence

New threads

Articles