India - A sacred geography bound by Dharma

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
The early vedic age dates back to 1700 BC.
Wrong, it would go far beyond 3000 BC. RV is dated between 3500 and 4500 BC, Mahabharata between 3000 and 3100 BC.

Overall the whole problem starts by hyphenating Hinduism as a religion with Islam or Christianity.
It does not follow a strict code given by a human being centuries ago. It isn't a religion.
It does not depend on any major figures for its preaching. In everything that they've said from Ram of Ramayana to Krishna of Geeta, there is nothing new.
There is nothing that the Vedas or other scriptures did not say already. It is only rehashed, contextual wisdom for the contemporary masses. I don't mind if somebody thinks they weren't real as long as he/she believes in the message they gave.
If Hinduism were a religion, it would've seriously conflicted with Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism and other isms.
There were ample amount of centuries for that to happen in this millenniums old civilization.
Since some new religions appear on the horizon we do not tag the already present cultural, civilizational values as another religion.

Regards,
Virendra

Last edited:

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Wrong, it would go far beyond 3000 BC. RV is dated between 3500 and 4500 BC, Mahabharata between 3000 and 3100 BC.
Thank you. In this case I am happy to have been wrong.
Absolutely in agreement with your whole post, couldn't have said it better myself.
Sanathan Dharma is simply not what the isms represent.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
It's an increasing trend in sickulars of India that they deny the glorious past of Hinduism i.e. Indian culture and civilization, they compare it with newly born religions in order to downplay its influence specially in independent India. Simply if other religions born later and mixed up here in insignificant numbers, it doesn't mean that this land is not the ancient land of Hindus highly influenced by Dharmic traditions.

...Of course, the mythologies were just stories. Do you suppose things like the Bramhastra, flying chariots, demons really existed? What is of importance is the message our ancestors passed through these works to us. Their philosophy, their culture. Myth making, they thought would make their acceptability far easier and not surprisingly, look around you, and see if they have succeeded or not...
I think they were not myths but hyped narrations of simple incidents.It is possible to have Brahmastra and flying chariots yet the narrations were hyped.

Absolutely, a hindu reformation is long overdue. We must continue what Swami Vivekananda and other luminaries started.

On a lighter note, don't think sickulars have any place in the scheme of Hindu consolidation. As it is, Hinduism is Secularism by itself.
100% agree with that! after a long foreign rule Hindus deserve a reformation.

If Hinduism were a religion, it would've seriously conflicted with Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism and other isms...

Regards,
Virendra
Yes ! this is something which any -ism follower wont like to agree with!

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
I believe that the subcontinent shares a larger cultural backdrop in Vedic/Hindu culture. Yet, I differentiate this culture from the Hindu religion, for the fact that I do not have faith in the various gods and goddesses and the subsequent rituals and practices, since to me, it is all stories and mythology. It doesn't mean that I don't want these stories from ancient vedic culture to be revived today in art forms and exported to the world, but to me, they are all still just stories.

So yes, IMO, the subcontinent, and even beyond all the way to South East Asia, do have a common vedic ancient mythological culture, but I wonder if this is the conformality some members here have been looking for, or they wish that all Indians conform to the Hindu religion? That's the question I'm curious about.
IMHO you're trying to understand Vedic (I wouldn't call it 'Vedic') culture as...well as a Greek Christian would perceive pagan Greek religion.

Here is something which I wrote earlier
There is something similar about how the various religious traditions of India conceptualize 'the Divine'.

All traditions (more or less) are non-dual, there is no sharp difference between the creator and the creation
btw I'm not trying to say something like Sikhism is a branch of Hinduism or something

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I think they were not myths but hyped narrations of simple incidents.It is possible to have Brahmastra and flying chariots yet the narrations were hyped.
That reminds me of electric batteries, air balloons and parachutes all mentioned in Agastya Samshita written by Rishi Agastya. He is said to have lived between 4000 BC and 5000 BC

Electric battery as mentioned in Agastya Samhita :-
संस्थाप्य मृण्मये पात्रे ताम्रपत्रं सुसंस्कृतम्-।
छादयेच्छिखिग्रीवेन चार्दाभि: काष्ठापांसुभि:॥
दस्तालोष्टो निधात्वय: पारदाच्छादितस्तत:।
संयोगाज्जायते तेजो मित्रावरुणसंज्ञितम्-॥
अर्थात् एक मिट्टी का बर्तन लें, उसमें अच्छी प्रकार से साफ किया गया ताम्रपत्र और शिखिग्रीवा (मोर के गर्दन जैसा पदार्थ अर्थात् कॉपरसल्फेट) डालें। फिर उस बर्तन को लकड़ी के गीले बुरादे से भर दें। उसके बाद लकड़ी के गीले बुरादे के ऊपर पारा से आच्छादित दस्त लोष्ट (mercury-amalgamated zinc sheet) रखे। इस प्रकार दोनों के संयोग से अर्थात् तारों के द्वारा जोड़ने पर मित्रावरुणशक्ति की उत्पत्ति होगी।
यहाँ पर उल्लेखनीय है कि यह प्रयोग करके भी देखा गया है जिसके परिणामस्वरूप 1.138 वोल्ट तथा 23 mA धारा वाली विद्युत उत्पन्न हुई। स्वदेशी विज्ञान संशोधन संस्था (नागपुर) के द्वारा उसके चौथे वार्षिक सभा में ७ अगस्त, १९९० को इस प्रयोग का प्रदर्शन भी विद्वानों तथा सर्वसाधारण के समक्ष किया गया।
अगस्त्य संहिता में आगे लिखा हैः
अनेन जलभंगोस्ति प्राणो दानेषु वायुषु।
एवं शतानां कुंभानांसंयोगकार्यकृत्स्मृत:॥
अर्थात सौ कुम्भों (अर्थात् उपरोक्त प्रकार से बने तथा श्रृंखला में जोड़े ग! सौ सेलों) की शक्ति का पानी में प्रयोग करने पर पानी अपना रूप बदल कर प्राण वायु (ऑक्सीजन) और उदान वायु (हाइड्रोजन) में परिवर्तित हो जाएगा।
फिर लिखा गया हैः
वायुबन्धकवस्त्रेण निबद्धो यानमस्तके उदान स्वलघुत्वे बिभर्त्याकाशयानकम्-।
अर्थात् उदान वायु (हाइड्रोजन) को बन्धक वस्त्र (air tight cloth) द्वारा निबद्ध किया जाए तो वह विमान विद्या (aerodynamics) के लिए प्रयुक्त किया जा सकता है।
स्पष्ट है कि यह आज के विद्युत बैटरी का सूत्र (Formula for Electric battery) ही है। साथ ही यह प्राचीन भारत में विमान विद्या होने की भी पुष्टि करता है

Electroplating to coat an electrode :-
आपको यह जानकर आश्चर्य होगा कि आज की अनेक आधुनिक तकनीकों का वर्णन हमारे प्राचीन ग्रंथों में मिलता है। शुक्र नीति के अनुसार आज के इलेक्ट्रोप्लेटिंग के लिए "कृत्रिमस्वर्णरजतलेपः" शब्द का प्रयोग करते हुए इसे "सत्कृति" नाम नाम दिया गया है – "कृत्रिमस्वर्णरजतलेप: सत्कृतिरुच्यते"à¥¤

अगस्त्य संहिता में विद्युत्- का उपयोग इलेक्ट्रोप्लेटिंग के लिए करने की विधि दर्शाते हुए निम्न सूत्र मिलता हैः
यवक्षारमयोधानौ सुशक्तजलसन्निधो॥
आच्छादयति तत्ताम्रं स्वर्णेन रजतेन वा।
सुवर्णलिप्तं तत्ताम्रं शातकुंभमिति स्मृतम्-॥
अर्थात्-- लोहे के पात्र में रखे गए सुशक्त जल (तेजाब का घोल) का सानिध्य पाते ही यवक्षार (सोने या चांदी का नाइट्रेट) ताम्र को स्वर्ण या रजत से आच्छादित कर देता है। स्वर्ण से लिप्त उस ताम्र को शातकुंभ स्वर्ण कहा जाता है।

The "Agastya Samhita" gives us Agastya`s descriptions of two types of aeroplanes.
The first is a "chchatra" (umbrella or balloon) to be filled with hydrogen. The process of extracting hydrogen from water is described in elaborate detail and the use of electricity in achieving this is clearly stated. This was stated to be a primitive type of plane, useful only for escaping from a fort when the enemy had set fire to the jungle all around. Hence the name "Agniyana".
The second type of aircraft mentioned is somewhat on the lines of the parachute. It could be opened and shut by operating chords. This aircraft has been described as "vimanadvigunam" i.e. of a lower order than the regular aeroplane.

The Rig Veda includes references to the following modes of transportation:
Jalayan – a vehicle designed to operate in air and water (Rig Veda 6.58.3);
Kaara- Kaara- Kaara- a vehicle that operates on ground and in water. (Rig Veda 9.14.1);
Tritala- Tritala- Tritala- a vehicle consisting of three stories. (Rig Veda 3.14.1);
Trichakra Ratha – Trichakra Ratha – Trichakra Ratha – a three-wheeled vehicle designed to operate in the air. (Rig Veda 4.36.1);
Vaayu Ratha- a gas or wind-powered chariot. (Rig Veda 5.41.6); Vidyut Ratha- Vidyut Ratha- Vidyut Ratha- a vehicle that operates on power. (Rig Veda 3.14.1).

Regards,
Virendra

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Utterly confusing.

Like I said before, I agree with the cultural aspect, but I do not believe in the religion, as I do not believe that the stories are anything more than mythology. Nor do I believe in the thousands of rituals and I consider them superstitions. So, if you can explain in layman's terms, where do I fit in into your idea of "consolidation", what are you implying by that?
I am not religious either, in fact I am quite anti-religious, but still I grew up hearing stories about Ram and Sita just as millions of other Indians did. Like you I treat them as superstition; I do not believe that Ram was born or lived in Ayodhya or traveled to Dandakaranya forest or invaded Sri Lanka with an army of apes. But I do know where Ayodhya is, where Dandakaranya forest is, where Lanka is. I know them because they are part of my motherland. I can understand the customs and manners of the characters in these epics, because their customs and manners are merely an earlier incarnation of ours. In these ways, and others, I can personally relate to these great epics; they are deeply embedded, by virtue of their longevity and influence, in the fabric of Indian civilization as well as in the hearts and minds of countless Indians throughout the ages. Indeed, these epics have captivated not only Indians but also numerous outsiders who have come into contact with Indian civilization; for example, the epics had a deep impact in the cultural consciousness of Southeast Asians, which continues to this day (the Ramayan is the National Epic of modern Thailand, similar in importance of the Shahnameh to Persians), and one of Emperor Akbar's most famous actions was commissioning the translation of the Mahabharat into Persian.

The point I am trying to make, is that one does not need to be a "Hindu" or follow the Hindu religion or worship Hindu gods to appreciate Indian civilization and feel a part of it. Indeed, it would be a disgrace to define - and therefore restrict - Indian civilization in such a narrow manner by using modern religious terminology.

panduranghari

Christian Evangelist Father Johnson Reveals That India Embraces Christianity

Christian Evangelist Father Johnson Reveals That India Embraces Christianity

The world today could have been a much better place for all of us, had we all refrained from trying to prove the superiority of our own religion.

This is an interview of "Father Johnson' after his award by the Government of India for his exemplary work in enlightening the people in the path of the ONLY God. Father Johnson returned to the USA after 10 years of service to uplift the people of India in the name of God. The interview was taken in July 2005 by a journalist in Houston, USA......

Question: Welcome home Father. You have been in India for 10 years, where "our mission' is still going on. Tell me Father, how is India?

Father Johnson: India is a fascinating country, a land of contrasts. Modern India is the largest democracy, the budding economic superpower, with the second-largest pool of scientists and engineers in the world. India is also the only surviving ancient civilization with over one sixth of the world population.

Question: What about Hinduism as a religion?

Father Johnson: Hinduism has a deep philosophical and spiritual heritage that has repeatedly mesmerized the world including western scientists, leaders and philosophers. Despite propaganda to the contrary, Hindus, like us, believes in one Supreme God but they do so in many forms, that helps to develop personalized relations.

What many do not know and I will not elaborate further for obvious reasons, is that there are researchers who think that the teachings of Jesus Christ have something to do with the ancient wisdom of Vedas. The Hindu concepts of "karma', and "reincarnation', which are part of the New Age Movement that we see today, were not unknown to Jesu s.

Question: Then Father, why do we need to convert people in India?

Father Johnson: You see, we in the western world, have the "white man's burden' of civilizing the rest of the world. We also have the need and desire to spread the message of Christ, since we believe that it is the ONLY way to salvation and all other nonbelievers will go to hell. The faith in Christianity is being eroded in Europe and America. That is why our Pope on his visit to India said, "Just as in the first millennium, the Cross was planted on the soil of Europe, and in the second on that of the Americas and Africa, we can pray that in the third Christian millennium a great harvest of faith will be reaped in this vast and vital continent.'

Question: Why do you target India?

India is the right country because Hindu Indians are generally peace-loving tolerant, law abiding people who are truthful and virtuous. India"s devotion to being good rather than being clever comes nearer the heart of a true civilization, said W. J. Grant, in his book, "The spirit of India'. Christians and for that matter, no other religion, says that.

Question: Where does your resource come from?

Father Johnson: There are five major aid-giving countries, viz., USA, Germany, Britain, Italy and the Netherlands. According to the available data, in the last decade alone, foreign aid organizations received more than 2.5 billion dollars. This is only official statistics.

Question: How powerful is Christianity in India?

Father Johnson: Oh, though we are only 2.4% of the population officially, we have a large control over the country because of our economic invasion. You see, the present leader of the main political party-The Congress Party of India is a Roman Catholic Sonia Gandhi with close contact with the Vatican. There are Christian Chief ministers in 5 out of 29 states.

Question: You must have a very organized system?

Father Johnson: Yes, we do. Have you heard about the Joshua Project? It identifies and highlights the people groups of the world that have the least exposure to the Gospel and the least Christian presence and shares this information to encourage pioneer church-planting movements among every ethnic group.

The Seventh Day Adventists owes its Indian success to Canadian evangelist Ron Watts, President for the South Asian Division. When he entered India, in 1997, the Adventist Church had 225,000 members after 103 years of operations. In five years, he took it to 700,000.

The US-based Maranatha Volunteers International provides buildings for the Seventh-day Adventist Church. They are committed to build 750 churches in 2 years in India. The Oregon based, Fjarli family have a goal to build 1000 churches at a rate of 1 per day.

Question: How do you carry out conversion attempts?

Father Johnson: You see the local people are so simple and naïve that they do not have any clue as what out motive or means are. We target mostly the poor, illiterate, tribal people because they are the easiest to convert. We do that by various means - we establish schools, hospitals that overtly or subtly promote our faith, we allure them with money or goods to the needy when they convert, we "stage' miracle cures, we use our influence on the media, we use our experts in propaganda, we promote the influential people and so on.

Question: Is the so called caste system in India an advantage?

Father Johnson: The "Caste-ism in India' is a boon to us. Though Varna or caste was once an essential part of the culture, based on occupation and vocational skills, which kept the civilization going for over 5000 years, caste-ism is a degenerated socio-political system now that has been declared illegal. However it is one big weapon against Hinduism.

We also use opportunities that God gives us. During natural disasters like floods, earthquakes and the recent Tsunami, taking advantage of the need, we were able to convert successfully entire low caste villages in Tamil Nadu to Christianity with the lure of money and aid.

Question: How successful are you in your conversion attempts.

Father Johnson: Oh we are doing a good job. The Northeast Indian states like Assam, Nagaland, and Manipur, have witnessed a surge of nearly 200% in their Christian population in the past 25 years. Their grasp is so strong now that practicing Hinduism is forbidden in some areas. Hindus can no longer do worship or "puja' in the open because of our influence. In another northeast state, Tripura, where there were no Christians at the time of India's independence, 55 years ago, there are now over 120,000 today. Do you face any resistance?

Question: Is there any legal barrier?

Father Johnson: Yes there are some rules and laws that sometimes impair our activities. The Indian Supreme Court had declared that: "The right to propagate religion does not mean the right to convert... Conversion done under allurement, use of force and fraud in which the poverty or ignorance of the individual is taken advantage of, is not only undemocratic but also unconstitutional...Respect for all religions is the foundation of secularism whereas the seeds of conversion lie in religious intolerance.". Anti conversion laws have been passed in various states. But as I said, we have our ways.

Question: How satisfied are you with the progress of the missions?

Father Johnson: It is really satisfying. We find enormous pleasure in converting the Hindu "pagans'. However I wish we could do more. I wish I could say like St Francis Xavier, during the Goa Inquisition in 1560, "When I have finished baptizing the people, I order them to destroy the huts in which they keep their idols; and I have them break the statues of their idols into tiny pieces, since they are now Christians. I could never come to an end describing to you the great consolation which fills my soul when I see idols being destroyed by the hands of those who had been idolaters."

Thank you, Father for your time and honesty. Thank you, my son. God bless you.

Christianity offers nothing that is not already available somewhere in the many forms of Hinduism. Hinduism never rejected the teachings of Jesus. Those who have converted either agreed with a gun pressed at their skulls as in Goa, or because it provided an escape from caste tyranny, as well as a guaranteed professional advancement. Through its Vedic legacy, Hinduism respects all faiths. It clearly states that God is one, but has many forms.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Good read. Thanks for posting.

Dharma is not merely a particular religion but a way of life of the people of this land. Most of the mythologies may be not "factual" and the rituals may appear meaningless, I don't think they are the essence of Dharma. It is the pursuit of the righteous way that is Dharma.

panduranghari

This is our real history. What we are taught in schools is what was written under the direction of McCauley by British officers of the ICS.

http://www.savarkar.org/content/pdfs/en/six_glorious_epochs_savarkar_en_v001.pdf

THE SIX GLORIOUS EPOCHS OF INDIAN HISTORY

by V.D.Savarkar is a must read. Though it was originally in Marathi it has been translated into English in the link above.

I have long wondered why does NCERT not touch on Gupta, Maurya history? Why does it start with Mughals?

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Very very candid and thruthful interview. How the servants of God betray the God himself...

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
That reminds me of electric batteries, air balloons and parachutes all mentioned in Agastya Samshita written by Rishi Agastya. He is said to have lived between 4000 BC and 5000 BC

Electric battery as mentioned in Agastya Samhita :-
संस्थाप्य मृण्मये पात्रे ताम्रपत्रं सुसंस्कृतम्-।
छादयेच्छिखिग्रीवेन चार्दाभि: काष्ठापांसुभि:॥
दस्तालोष्टो निधात्वय: पारदाच्छादितस्तत:।
संयोगाज्जायते तेजो मित्रावरुणसंज्ञितम्-॥
अर्थात् एक मिट्टी का बर्तन लें, उसमें अच्छी प्रकार से साफ किया गया ताम्रपत्र और शिखिग्रीवा (मोर के गर्दन जैसा पदार्थ अर्थात् कॉपरसल्फेट) डालें। फिर उस बर्तन को लकड़ी के गीले बुरादे से भर दें। उसके बाद लकड़ी के गीले बुरादे के ऊपर पारा से आच्छादित दस्त लोष्ट (mercury-amalgamated zinc sheet) रखे। इस प्रकार दोनों के संयोग से अर्थात् तारों के द्वारा जोड़ने पर मित्रावरुणशक्ति की उत्पत्ति होगी।
यहाँ पर उल्लेखनीय है कि यह प्रयोग करके भी देखा गया है जिसके परिणामस्वरूप 1.138 वोल्ट तथा 23 mA धारा वाली विद्युत उत्पन्न हुई। स्वदेशी विज्ञान संशोधन संस्था (नागपुर) के द्वारा उसके चौथे वार्षिक सभा में ७ अगस्त, १९९० को इस प्रयोग का प्रदर्शन भी विद्वानों तथा सर्वसाधारण के समक्ष किया गया।
अगस्त्य संहिता में आगे लिखा हैः
अनेन जलभंगोस्ति प्राणो दानेषु वायुषु।
एवं शतानां कुंभानांसंयोगकार्यकृत्स्मृत:॥
अर्थात सौ कुम्भों (अर्थात् उपरोक्त प्रकार से बने तथा श्रृंखला में जोड़े ग! सौ सेलों) की शक्ति का पानी में प्रयोग करने पर पानी अपना रूप बदल कर प्राण वायु (ऑक्सीजन) और उदान वायु (हाइड्रोजन) में परिवर्तित हो जाएगा।
फिर लिखा गया हैः
वायुबन्धकवस्त्रेण निबद्धो यानमस्तके उदान स्वलघुत्वे बिभर्त्याकाशयानकम्-।
अर्थात् उदान वायु (हाइड्रोजन) को बन्धक वस्त्र (air tight cloth) द्वारा निबद्ध किया जाए तो वह विमान विद्या (aerodynamics) के लिए प्रयुक्त किया जा सकता है।
स्पष्ट है कि यह आज के विद्युत बैटरी का सूत्र (Formula for Electric battery) ही है। साथ ही यह प्राचीन भारत में विमान विद्या होने की भी पुष्टि करता है

Electroplating to coat an electrode :-
आपको यह जानकर आश्चर्य होगा कि आज की अनेक आधुनिक तकनीकों का वर्णन हमारे प्राचीन ग्रंथों में मिलता है। शुक्र नीति के अनुसार आज के इलेक्ट्रोप्लेटिंग के लिए "कृत्रिमस्वर्णरजतलेपः" शब्द का प्रयोग करते हुए इसे "सत्कृति" नाम नाम दिया गया है – "कृत्रिमस्वर्णरजतलेप: सत्कृतिरुच्यते"à¥¤

अगस्त्य संहिता में विद्युत्- का उपयोग इलेक्ट्रोप्लेटिंग के लिए करने की विधि दर्शाते हुए निम्न सूत्र मिलता हैः
यवक्षारमयोधानौ सुशक्तजलसन्निधो॥
आच्छादयति तत्ताम्रं स्वर्णेन रजतेन वा।
सुवर्णलिप्तं तत्ताम्रं शातकुंभमिति स्मृतम्-॥
अर्थात्-- लोहे के पात्र में रखे गए सुशक्त जल (तेजाब का घोल) का सानिध्य पाते ही यवक्षार (सोने या चांदी का नाइट्रेट) ताम्र को स्वर्ण या रजत से आच्छादित कर देता है। स्वर्ण से लिप्त उस ताम्र को शातकुंभ स्वर्ण कहा जाता है।

The "Agastya Samhita" gives us Agastya`s descriptions of two types of aeroplanes.
The first is a "chchatra" (umbrella or balloon) to be filled with hydrogen. The process of extracting hydrogen from water is described in elaborate detail and the use of electricity in achieving this is clearly stated. This was stated to be a primitive type of plane, useful only for escaping from a fort when the enemy had set fire to the jungle all around. Hence the name "Agniyana".
The second type of aircraft mentioned is somewhat on the lines of the parachute. It could be opened and shut by operating chords. This aircraft has been described as "vimanadvigunam" i.e. of a lower order than the regular aeroplane.

The Rig Veda includes references to the following modes of transportation:
Jalayan – a vehicle designed to operate in air and water (Rig Veda 6.58.3);
Kaara- Kaara- Kaara- a vehicle that operates on ground and in water. (Rig Veda 9.14.1);
Tritala- Tritala- Tritala- a vehicle consisting of three stories. (Rig Veda 3.14.1);
Trichakra Ratha – Trichakra Ratha – Trichakra Ratha – a three-wheeled vehicle designed to operate in the air. (Rig Veda 4.36.1);
Vaayu Ratha- a gas or wind-powered chariot. (Rig Veda 5.41.6); Vidyut Ratha- Vidyut Ratha- Vidyut Ratha- a vehicle that operates on power. (Rig Veda 3.14.1).

Regards,
Virendra

Thanks for the rendering. Good effort. Can you teach the DODOs that there were scientists before them

panduranghari

Correcting the Master Narrative of Indian Heritage

Richard Bulliet, Historian at Columbia University, had this to say about the changing nature of master narratives of history:
1) History is structured according to master narratives.
2) Master narratives are those things about history that have been repeated so often and so confidently with so little variation that they are taken to be true.
3) Master narratives are the triumph of the historian.
4) The more successful these narratives are, the less inclined people are to questioning them.
Successful narratives linger longer but they are most definitely not the only narrative.

Western bias to the master narrative:

How the master narrative is written for a culture or tradition is influenced heavily by who writes it. It is hardly a surprise then that the West, which has been in a position of power for centuries, writes a master narrative of history that almost exclusively shows its own past as a collage of stupendous achievements while showing others in poor light or no light.

India had no voice in the master narrative:

Indians did not contribute to the master narrative of World history or even to their own history. The West did. The West continues to control it. In the master narrative of world history, West has painted Western philosophy and Abrahamic religions as the epitome of human achievement while painting Indian civilization, culture, traditions, philosophy and Dharmic knowledge as a hapless and hopeless mediocrity of thought and achievement. Indian voices which attempted to correct this injustice were discredited, unheard, and when forceful were branded unauthoritative or jingoistic and marginalized. Westerners continue to control the master narrative of Indian history.

Need other voices heard in the master narrative:

One-sided master narratives are against diversity and fail to offer richness of thought. They show extreme inequity in undermining entire cultures and their contributions. Such extreme inequity arises not only because of the desire of the Western narrators to present Western grandeur but also because of the prejudicial blinders imposed on the narrators by the predominant foundation of Western thought.

In the name of literary freedom, Westerners continue to write very biased articles either painting West positively or Indian thought and culture negatively. We have had too much din from the West. Let us hear more of the Indian side. As the article points to, one should read Being Different by Rajiv Malhotra - a fresh perspective that breaks free of Western master narrative and sees the world from the viewpoint of Indian traditions. It is quite eye-opening.

http://www.firstpost.com/india/french-vs-taseer-indians-need-to-reclaim-their-history-293948.html/2

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
First of all, Panduranghari, the interview by the priest was a good read. Though it is not so relevant here, but it is worth mentioning that in his candid interview, the Father did reveal some of his deceitful methods used to spread the Christian religion in India. Also revealed the connection between the church and Sonia Maino of Italy. Very unfortunate that such reports never get the attention they deserve.

skumar7777

Utterly confusing.

Like I said before, I agree with the cultural aspect, but I do not believe in the religion, as I do not believe that the stories are anything more than mythology. Nor do I believe in the thousands of rituals and I consider them superstitions. So, if you can explain in layman's terms, where do I fit in into your idea of "consolidation", what are you implying by that?
When events from millennium past are narrated in beautiful words, they can appear to be mythological. Consider 3 things - Dwarka was discovered, the Ram setu was discovered and various astronomical events described in the mythology have been found to be true today - in fact these astronomical events now provide a source of dating the mythology and from that, the events described. By themselves, they do not prove the authenticity of the narrations but they definitely lend added credibility. Finally, what proof can one give for the mythology to be considered true? An ability to go into the past? Ask the Pakistanis about proof. So it is a matter of belief and your belief is as good as mine.

Please distinguish between the rituals and the deep philosophical content in these ancient texts - their depth has astonished greater minds than us.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles