InAir Force to place all MiG 29s along Pak border: Valid tactical decision? Your take

Rahul Singh

Country flag
That will expose them to preemptive strikes. Stupid move.
Toady IAF is having PHALCON in addition to long range radars and LLTRs. IAF will pick any abnormal activity of PAF minutes before they touch IAF bases. And FC of respective AFBs will naturally vector Mig-29s for intercepting intruders. So no stupid move. BTW it will be intresting to see if IAF is equally intresed in deploying all these BAAZs after upgrade.

Arun

I agree with Roma. The truth is that we are not going to have a air conflict right now either with Pakistan or China. This move must have some other purpose. If the purpose is to create a bit of fear in the enemy, then it is more valid at the China border than Paki one. Because, right now, we need to demonstrate to the Chinese that India is serious about the border. That will also help us at the negotiating table.
Bro i don't get it, how by placing mig's to chinese border will induce "fear" in them.Well it will rather be like :viannen_51: a mirror effect.What IAF did by replacing all of its second stream aircraft by Su-30's along the C-border is that they made it very clear to the chinese that before hitting us take a look at what u will be facing across the border.By what i understood ,there is no aircraft in Chinese fleet which is superior to su30's.And for pak Mig's are more than enough for them.

icecoolben

Our defence forces during operation parakram after the attack on parliament were unable to deploy forces swiftly to the borders. But the pakis who has forward lines closer deployed them quickly. That might be the move, intending to be forward deployed to handle threats quickly and neutralise them. Can anyone provide latest ground troop deployments, all we get are air force news.

ZOOM

Founding Member
In my opinion, one premise behind IAF's decision to deploy its entire contigent of Mig-29's has something to do with its policy of having some transperancy. Since when airforce deploy its aircraft on forward station and do the publicity, it will indirectly increase IAF's task of maintaining high standard of vigilance. Because in case of pre-emptive strike by our enemies, it becomes highly responsible task for IAF to deter the same, under such circumstances, IAF will be fully accountable for any loss of such pre-emptive strike.

Second premise may have something to do with its slow pace of long range radar deployment and parallel modernization of its agening fleet of both static and mobile radar cover. We do have deploy some good radar system like Green Pine, Aerostate and quick reaction SAM's like spider alongwith Akash SAM, but point here is to note that many of this ultra modern assets are deployed to deny use of airspace around high value target. Many of our border airspace is still undefended because bulk of our ageing Radar cover and SAM's and many of this agening system is highly vulnerable to EW systems of our enemy airforce and hence despite having good number there are still various loopholes is waiting to be exposed by enemy especially through low level air strike.

Another premise of Mig-29 deployment may have something to do with rapid emergence of some high value installations like Oil Rigs in the desert of Rajasthan, rapid urbanization of our border areas, incoming Corporate parks and industrial installations in the form of Special economic zones. But unfortuntely, we are once again handicapped by our near obsolate Radar cover and SAM site which is two to three decades old and hence many of this Premium installation are at high risk.

venom

DFI Technocrat
I dont think having All Mig-29 squadrons at a single airbase is beneficial.At the most it will the cost of maintaining the fighters but there is much risk involved.....
I guess something cooking in iaf...may be surgical strike ....

A.V.

Are all procedures for this shift done , any update on this development , whats the current status ?

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
We have enough air assets to counter both countries. Wait for PAKFA to fly and you will see both the countries(mainly China) go on the backfoot. Patience.
Sorry, I refute that statement. Chinese have already secured their borders and their policy is threat-specific unlike our governments. They know that they can get away with small attacks since our government lacks bones. China went backfoot only when Indira Gandhi and Vajpayee were the PMs of India because both had a strong spine despite the lack of equipment. Today, we don't have that. Remember as long as our forces are commanded by a weak and soft top, nothing will stop Chinese harassment.

It is something that I can challenge any member with here and dare that they can prove me wrong. Indian Armed Forces is commanded by a weak man and a weaker commander who again is in the hands of a disinterested non-Indian.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Regarding the decision, I don't think MiG-29s alone do the job. We should keep the MiG-27s out there so that in case something like 26/11 happens, we can deploy strike aircraft faster and more readily. Having all air superiority fighters is a silly mistake. It should be a mix so that the pressure is on Pakistani ground forces as well as PAF.

arya

Country flag
Regarding the decision, I don't think MiG-29s alone do the job. We should keep the MiG-27s out there so that in case something like 26/11 happens, we can deploy strike aircraft faster and more readily. Having all air superiority fighters is a silly mistake. It should be a mix so that the pressure is on Pakistani ground forces as well as PAF.
what combination is in your mind

can you give any idea

Country flag
placing a few sukhois with air launched brahmos would be the right mix.

pmaitra

AFAIK, MiG-27s were grounded since Feb 2010 due to fault in their engines. What's the latest news on that? Are they still grounded?

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
what combination is in your mind

can you give any idea
That's what I just said: MiG-27s combined with MiG-29s to make it a re-think for both ground and air forces of Pakistan.

placing a few sukhois with air launched brahmos would be the right mix.
For PAF they are an overkill. We need it for eastern borders.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
for pakistan mig-29 and 1or 2 squadrons ofmmrca is enough for their air force and we also have mig-29k and n-lca of the navy to support precision strike operation.also we must base the entire sukhoi fleet along the lac barring the 2 squadrons at the andaman base.

N-E Indian

N-E Indian

It is a good move! But at the same time we must not forget to watch China closely!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles