IN Scorpene Submarines - News & Discussions

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
French SSN use a low enriched uranium : it avoid some export nuclear rules ! (clever the french)
PHWR reactors also use natural uranium. However, the submarine with nuclear component becomes a nuclear weapon. Russia bypassed the convention by leasing a submarine to India. Same can also be done by other countries. However, selling is unlikely to be acceptable to many others. Saudis, Iraq, Qatar, Kuwait etc will also start asking for these then

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Russians experimented with prototype pumpjet on one of their own Kilo boats in the 90's but did not develop it further as they found the system did not provide optimum performance at the slow speeds that SSK usually operate at.

The technology is currently seen on Borei SSBN and may be seen on Yasen-M follow on.

The outlet you're looking at is a dump vent for cooling water.
Dump vent..........? Confirm...........?

uoftotaku

Country flag
Dump vent..........? Confirm...........?
Very interesting indeed...where did you get this drawing? Everything I know of Kilo class nowhere have I come across any mention of such an Aux. Propulsion arrangement.

lcafanboy

Country flag
India might order 3 Additional Scorpene-class submarines for Indian Navy with 14 changes
Published May 6, 2018 | By admin
SOURCE: RAUNAK KUNDE / NEWS BEAT / IDRW.ORG

The government of India is giving serious thoughts to a Proposal offered by Mazagon Dock which wants to construct three additional Scorpene-class submarines for the Indian Navy after its French designers agreed to make 14 design changes in the three additional Scorpene-class submarines as asked by Indian Navy.

After Data Breach and also do to the advancement of technology, Indian Navy had proposed 14 changes in their Scorpene submarines which were approved by the Naval Group after consultation with their Engineering team and 14 Changes will be carried out on all existing Six Scorpene order under Project-75 tender in near future but also will be incorporated into Three additional Scorpene submarines if ordered by India .

Due to delays in Project-75-I tender, Mazagon Dock offered to construct 3 additional Scorpene which will be delivered from 2026 on wards at a year interval if approved by Government and it also informed that its existing facilities at the dock will become idle by 2020 after sixth and last Scorpene is built.
http://idrw.org/india-might-order-3...s-submarines-for-indian-navy-with-14-changes/

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
India might order 3 Additional Scorpene-class submarines for Indian Navy with 14 changes

The government of India is giving serious thoughts to a Proposal offered by Mazagon Dock which wants to construct three additional Scorpene-class submarines for the Indian Navy after its French designers agreed to make 14 design changes in the three additional Scorpene-class submarines as asked by Indian Navy.

After Data Breach and also do to the advancement of technology, Indian Navy had proposed 14 changes in their Scorpene submarines which were approved by the Naval Group after consultation with their Engineering team and 14 Changes will be carried out on all existing Six Scorpene order under Project-75 tender in near future but also will be incorporated into Three additional Scorpene submarines if ordered by India .

Due to delays in Project-75-I tender, Mazagon Dock offered to construct 3 additional Scorpene which will be delivered from 2026 on wards at a year interval if approved by Government and it also informed that its existing facilities at the dock will become idle by 2020 after sixth and last Scorpene is built.
http://idrw.org/india-might-order-3...s-submarines-for-indian-navy-with-14-changes/
I think it's a reasonnable idea.
And a real advantage for Mazagon + Naval group to win the P75I tender with a derivative of shortfin Barracuda or a Scorpene XL.

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
The changes are for AIP module to be placed in the new submarines.
I think it's a reasonnable idea.
And a real advantage for Mazagon + Naval group to win the P75I tender with a derivative of shortfin Barracuda or a Scorpene XL.

Tanmay

Country flag
The only reason that despite the decade long procurement process, foreign firms come to India is because
Once the contract is signed and the first item delivered , you will get a truckload of follow-on orders, MLU and spares contracts.
Evident from Mig, Sukhoi ,T72, T-90, Talwar class, Mi-17, Dorniers C-130 and almost all other programs. C-17 was a big goof up though.

Else who will care for a country which cancels a RFI/RFP two three times and goes thru all stages again and again get stuck in corruption charges .

The Navy has no option but to go with scorpene else the next sub won't come before two decades atlests

undeadmyrmidon

MDL was the reason P 75I tender was allowed to die. 3 scorpenes are confirmed.

https://www.thehindubusinessline.co...-b-p75i-submarine-project/article23416551.ece

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
It will be a logistic nightmare if we choose other sub over scorpenes.

Sent from my Aqua Ace II using Tapatalk
You're right.
And Scorpene is a up to date sub. If you add an AIP (your AIP?) it will be a very effective weapon.

Next step for India is a SSN. not one unit, like the russian sub lease, but at least 5 or 6 of a single model.

I think that France is and will give you a support on this area. It's one of the secret arrangement next to the rafale deal....

WolfPack86

Country flag
That means total 9 Scorpene submarines. Will France gives us short fin Barccuda submarine. BON PLAN.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
That means total 9 Scorpene submarines. Will France gives us short fin Barccuda submarine. BON PLAN.
It seems that there are 2 options :
Or a follow on order for 3 Scorpene(with some improvements)
Or a new batch of 6, improved Scorpene or bigger (a short fin baracude derivative * ), as P75I

(*) : maybe a shortfin baracuda with your AIP ? shortfin baracuda is bigger, so easier to fill an AIP not studied by or with the sub designer...

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
India is amoung our nearest friend and geopolitical ally.
If we gave Shortfin to Australia, you will have also. But probably slightly different (AIP ?), because shortfin was studied for and paid by Australia. The design property is at least for a part Australian.

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
You're right.
And Scorpene is a up to date sub. If you add an AIP (your AIP?) it will be a very effective weapon.

Next step for India is a SSN. not one unit, like the russian sub lease, but at least 5 or 6 of a single model.

I think that France is and will give you a support on this area. It's one of the secret arrangement next to the rafale deal....
When India already has made nuclear submarine, why get another from France? It may help India fasten the design, but won't be considered as critical technology. France does not give India the technology which India does not already have. The offer is always about some "upgrades" rather than new technology

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
When India already has made nuclear submarine, why get another from France? It may help India fasten the design, but won't be considered as critical technology. France does not give India the technology which India does not already have. The offer is always about some "upgrades" rather than new technology
You have made a boomer. how is it quiet? how is it reliable?

It's another challenge to design a smaller SSN.
See for exemple Spain, with it's (classical) S80 sub. Despite beeing very close to the Scorpene, they made a big mistake. A mistake is easier to deal with on a large vessel than on a smaller one (to compare à boomer to a SSN).

I don't know exactly what are the tech promised with the rafale deal, but here we heard about nuclear simulation (thanks to Megajoule), Carrier and SSN design accompagnment.

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag

See for exemple Spain, with it's (classical) S80 sub. Despite beeing very close to the Scorpene, they made a big mistake. A mistake is easier to deal with on a large vessel than on a smaller one (to compare à boomer to a SSN).

I don't know exactly what are the tech promised with the rafale deal, but here we heard about nuclear simulation (thanks to Megajoule), Carrier and SSN design accompagnment.
Indian SSBN is no big either, 6000 tons bommer. And the SSN which are planned will be of same size.

Sent from my Aqua Ace II using Tapatalk

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha

Indian SSBN is as big as Akula SSN in size. The hull is also double hull like Akula. I have a feeling that the submarine is obtained from observing Akula submarine which was leased to India from 1987-1990 or some assistance of design from Russia. The double hull also keeps stealth of submarines by suppressing noise. Kilo class submarine also has rubber/sonar absorbing material. That also might have been incorporated into Arihant class submarine.

So, I would not be surprised if a small modification in Arihant design can get a SSN. The size of Barracuda is also similar to Aeihant

The french assistance may only fasten things up by a few years but is not critical.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
OK.
Just to hope SSBN and SSN will not be as reliable as russian counterparts. :)

Global Defence

New threads

Articles