IN Scorpene Submarines - News & Discussions

Prashant12

Country flag
INS Kalvari gears up to strengthen Navy power

Pune: INS Kalvari, the first of the six Scorpene-class submarines being built at Mazagon dock in Mumbai, is likely to be handed over to the Indian Navy next month.

"We are aiming to hand over the submarine to the Navy next month as all the trials have been conducted successfully. The date of the commissioning is yet to be finalised," Commodore Rakesh Anand (retd), chairman & managing director of Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDSL), told TOI here.

He avoided getting into the specifics about the trial results. "The Navy has done an analysis of each trial and we can't comment on it," said Anand.

MDSL, a part of the defence ministry's department of defence production, has been building Scorpene-class submarines under project 75 with transfer of technology from French collaborator DCNS.

A senior MDSL official, who did not wish to be identified, said, "Naval authorities will confirm the date of the commissioning ceremony in the next few weeks. All crucial trials, including test-firings of torpedo, have achieved the desired results. Currently, testing of certain on-board systems is on at the dock and it will be over in the next few days. We are in the process of handing over the submarine to the Navy mostly in the second week of August."

Kalvari was supposed to be commissioned in the Navy in September 2016. The deadline was deferred following a delay in the sea trials, sources said.

Senior defence experts said it was the need of the hour to strengthen the Navy's underwater capabilities, particularly in the face of a growing presence of Chinese submarines in the Indian Ocean Region.

"China has about 60 submarines, including nuclear powered submarines, in their arsenal. It's a huge number vis-a-vis the Indian strength. We need to induct more submarines to counter future challenges. Post-induction, the Navy usually takes some time before a particular vessel is put to operational use. It is a time consuming process and hence we need to build submarines on time," a former vice-admiral said on condition of anonymity.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...trengthen-navy-power/articleshow/59623296.cms

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace

Indian Navy officer looks through the attack periscope of INS Kalvari during her sea trials.
This is one of the few photos inside INS Kalvari, we can spot the sonar operator in the background manning his console. The Kalvari class are equipped with Safran's Series 20 digital attack periscope which can be spotted here.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
These facilities in the MDL shouldn't go waste after the 6 Kalvari class.
Sure.
If the other subs are induced on time (saying the next 2, for a total of 3), I think a follow on order possible at 95%.

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
Sure.
If the other subs are induced on time (saying the next 2, for a total of 3), I think a follow on order possible at 95%.
Even though I personally want to see 12 Scorpene with IN but after that high profile data leak, it would be difficult to get political backing for a follow on order. No?

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
Even though I personally want to see 12 Scorpene with IN but after that high profile data leak, it would be difficult to get political backing for a follow on order. No?
Project 75(I) will be either advanced (modified with indian stuff) Scorpene class or it will Soryu Class.

For confirmation we should wait for it

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
Project 75(I) will be either advanced (modified with indian stuff) Scorpene class or it will Soryu Class.

For confirmation we should wait for it
With 75i we should go for 12 subs instead of 6 to compensate delays for project 75. Whatever MoD do they must remember the fact that IN has an immediate need of more subs.

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
With 75i we should go for 12 subs instead of 6 to compensate delays for project 75. Whatever MoD do they must remember the fact that IN has an immediate need of more subs.
Compensation of delays will be served only by consecutive orders to keep running the submarine production facility.
Because of limited manufacturing units, IN orders in batches...

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
Compensation of delays will be served only by consecutive orders to keep running the submarine production facility.
Because of limited manufacturing units, IN orders in batches...
Batch ordering different types will only escalate cost and time. With current plan we will have something like 21 to 24 sub around 2030 which is a pathetic number. IN needs 35+. We need 10 to 12 more subs by 2030 along with current plan. With growing PLAN presence in IOR, This should be dealt with atmost urgency.

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
Batch ordering different types will only escalate cost and time. With current plan we will have something like 21 to 24 sub around 2030 which is a pathetic number. IN needs 35+. We need 10 to 12 more subs by 2030 along with current plan. With growing PLAN presence in IOR, This should be dealt with atmost urgency.
Indian Navy has a plan to induct 20 submarines (of different categories) by 2030.
Due to the data leakage, they asked for P75i otherwise IN will directly go for another batch.
still now, Advanced Scorpene is leading ahead in P75i due to high commonality with P75 and will reduced the delay in combat training to sailors..

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
Indian Navy has a plan to induct 20 submarines (of different categories) by 2030.
Due to the data leakage, they asked for P75i otherwise IN will directly go for another batch.
still now, Advanced Scorpene is leading ahead in P75i due to high commonality with P75 and will reduced the delay in combat training to sailors..
Also take in the account of old subs that will need to be decommissioned by 2030. With this rate it isn't possible to reach the numbers unless gov has other secret plans.

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
Also take in the account of old subs that will need to be decommissioned by 2030. With this rate it isn't possible to reach the numbers unless gov has other secret plans.
Bro, the Submarine induction plan is prepared by Indian Navy itself and they already take care of the Submarines which will get retired by 2030.
The fact is the presently Navy have only old Submarines which need to phased out by 2030.

Almost half of the fleet is undergone refit and life extension program.

Presently, IN is negotiating for 3 more scorpene class Submarines with 14 upgrades in P75 and 3 Advanced kilo class Submarines from russia.

Manufacturing of Submarines is a gradual process and can't be fulfilled instantly.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
French AND Indian court have closed that case early this year.
And during this time, French team won the huge Australian bid. With a US management system ! This is the best proof nothing important was stolen (because it was a stolen document, used primarly for training and commercial support).

So no effect.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles