In a dileamma ! Need your suggestions.

SPIEZ

Country flag
There's a shop were I usually buy mt glasses.

My last glass which had a very sturdy and good looking frame with thin plastic lens of thickness index(T.I.) 1.5( very thin) was around Rs.2,600/-.

This time around I placed an order for a similar frame, but the lenses which have a thickness index of 1.5. But the glass is really thick. Now I entered into an arguement with the shop-assistant, saying this isn't 1.5, because my last one was thin and my power hasn't changed. Though I have the bill, the thickness isn't mentioned.I have to end up paying Rs.3000 bugs for the present one.

He says that the old one is 1.6 (T.I.). I m sure it's 1.5 T.I.

What should I do, bargain for a replacement of the lens or buy the same lens ?

SPIEZ

Country flag
Get contact lenses.
That's next! But for now what do I do ? The assistant is frustrating me :mad2: He said the lens would be thin, now its looks like a thick magnifying glass. OTOH, my old one is very thin.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The thickness of the lenses, I believe, is not only dependant on power, but also on the axis, astigmatism and other factors.

Then everyone cannot fit contact lenses. It depends on whether you have 'dry eyes' and various types of eye , to include sight aberrations can also make the use contact lenses unsuitable.

Ideal would be to ask a good ophthalmologist and not an optometrist alone.

Another point to note is that if you require bifocals, they will try to sell you the Varilenses that give the convenience of having natural vision at all distances in one pair of glasses and great cosmetic appearance with no visible line on the lens, unlike bifocal lenses. It requires one to get adjusted to and sometimes people can't and so they can stumble and fall as the vision can get blurred (appears marginal) by looking through the wrong part of the lens.

Last edited:

SPIEZ

Country flag
compare with old one infront of him and start raising your voice.
That's exactly what I did, he raised a hue and cry saying my old lens (which is 1.5 T.I. and very thin) is actually 1.6 T.I. The bill doesn't have a measure of the thickness. I ended up having a heated arguement with him.

hitesh

ha ha this should be brought to jokes thread .......................:pound:

SPIEZ

Country flag
The thickness of the lenses, I believe, is not only dependant on power, but also on the axis, astigmatism and other factors.

Then everyone cannot fit contact lenses. It depends on whether you have 'dry eyes' and various types of eye , to include sight aberrations can also make the use contact lenses unsuitable.

Ideal would be to ask a good ophthalmologist and not an optometrist alone.
Actually I have already met an ophthalmologist. This lens is actually the glass part in a spectacle. Since it's made up of plastic/fibre glass, people call it lens.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am aware of your problem.

I have my left lens of my spectacle thicker than the right since it cannot be done otherwise.

It looks a bit odd, but what ho! I have to see and not look like some movie star!

I use Crizal.

I have tried contact lenses too since I wanted to wear my Rayban Aviator.

I have to change my spectacles every year and it is such a drain on the pocket!

It cost me Rs 11,000 and it was heart-wrenching to pay.

Thank God that plastic money was invented! :rofl:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Plastic lenses are better.

Never scrounge on buying the best lens.

Your eyes are your future!

Also keep doing eye exercises.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
1.5 index lens is the standard thickness plastic lens. 1.6 index lens is slightly thinner and 1.72 index lens is the ultrathin one.

If you are worried about the thickness, I suggest using contact lens.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Plastic lenses are better.

Never scrounge on buying the best lens.

Your eyes are your future!

Also keep doing eye exercises.
Sir, please do tell me about the eye exercises.

SPIEZ

Country flag
1.5 index lens is the standard thickness plastic lens. 1.6 index lens is slightly thinner and 1.72 index lens is the ultrathin one.

If you are worried about the thickness, I suggest using contact lens.
But my last lens was thin, I m sure it was 1.5. Now he claims it's 1.6 though. But I m planning to get a 1.6 no matter what.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
But my last lens was thin, I m sure it was 1.5. Now he claims it's 1.6 though. But I m planning to get a 1.6 no matter what.
As I said 1.5 is the standard thickness lens and it cannot be thin. I think the shop assistant is right in this case. Most likely your lens was 1.6 index.

SPIEZ

Country flag
As I said 1.5 is the standard thickness lens and it cannot be thin. I think the shop assistant is right in this case. Most likely your lens was 1.6 index.
Thanks than, I m going for 1.6 no matter what now, it's gonna cost an additional 1000 bugs :sad:

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Thanks than, I m going for 1.6 no matter what now, it's gonna cost an additional 1000 bugs :sad:
I'm nost sure if you will get thin lens for 1000 bugs unless they are butterflies. :D

Reactions: Ray

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Thin lenses are available. You have to ask for it. My wife who has a pretty high power and wears contact lenses needs glasses once in while when some infection irritates her eyes. The guy at the counter asked me what kind of lens i want. Plastic or glass. In plastic lenses he said i can give you thin and thick. So make your choice.

If you work constantly on the computer, use esilor lenses with Crizal coating.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles