Imagining a Remapped Middle East

Country flag
There is a big reason for this as the borders were artificially drawn by the British and French during the invasion of Arab world and its the same even in Asian countries .

Russia is even facing separatists problem not just from the Muslim dominated provinces but even from the non Muslims provinces in far east and Europe .

These borders were usually where there empires extended upto but many Nations have formed within those
Artificial borders and organizations like un like usual did nothing to honor the old border integrity.

Bilal

Shia sunni picture is the most important to keep in mind,my predictions are supporting a major division of land based on shia sunni followings.

Country flag
Shia sunni picture is the most important to keep in mind,my predictions are supporting a major division of land based on shia sunni followings.
The divisions will not be by different religious factions but by oil deposits.

Bilal

Oil is same and oil is equally distributed amongst all arab persian states,most of the world dependents on them for its oil useage,i will not rule out a complete war between arabs and persians if a division does take place.

Country flag
Oil is same and oil is equally distributed amongst all arab persian states,most of the world dependents on them for its oil useage,i will not rule out a complete war between arabs and persians if a division does take place.
With western economies in ruin any Arab-lpersian wars would drive up the price of oil
And bankrupt many countries.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Ohh is it. Maybe but i have come across many articles over net that eastern region is/was dominated by shias esp the oil producing regions.

For example 1979 Qatif Uprising - Wiki

Maybe sunnis are/were in majority always, but not sure.
Banu Khalid Tribes are in majority of Eastern Provinces and Qatif is a very small region within the Eastern Provinces . Its like Muslim population in some regions of Junagadh Kingdom with majority of Hindu Population .

Though it was formed in early 80's GCC mainly gathered momentum post gulf war-I after kuwait was liberated. But even after 20 years or so still any sort of political unity is still far away. Even in 2010/11 or so they told they will form a confederacy. But that will not hold for long if at all they do form one.
GCC mainly gathered momentum because of the Iraqi threats to Arab countries and even bombing of Arabs ships for carrying Iranian oil during the Iran-Iraq war . Saddam was against the GCC .

nrupatunga

GCC mainly gathered momentum because of the Iraqi threats to Arab countries and even bombing of Arabs ships for carrying Iranian oil during the Iran-Iraq war . Saddam was against the GCC .
Yes, gcc is nothing but group of countries that can not do one thing on their own but always ready to open up chequebook for getting things done by sacrificing others to do their dirty job. But was their ships carrying iranian oil during iraq-iran war?? never knew this. But didn't iran even bomb kuwait for supporting iraq?? Kuwaitis allowed flight landing re-fueling of iraqi planes on their way to bomb iranian targets. All of gcc also provided loans to iraq. In fact the reason for iraqi invasion of kuwait was due to kuwaiti persistance over iraq to pay back their loans?? Man, these people sided both ways then. superrrrrr.

Bilal

Well,good thing you asked...so what is the decision making process,as you see this is a remapping of middle east supported by groups that are being rebellous to the prevailing monarchies,so i dont really support the monarachies neither the groups that are wanting power,i support the common arab and it is there decision as its there land,they are making the decison...and hence they have the decision making process.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Yes, gcc is nothing but group of countries that can not do one thing on their own but always ready to open up chequebook for getting things done by sacrificing others to do their dirty job.
GCC are going to form a hugh alliance around the Arab world which would unified all the Arab nations under one Banner. GCC countries would open up their reserves where as Egyptians, Yemenis, Moroccans, Jordanians would provide soldiers for Arab security .

But was their ships carrying iranian oil during iraq-iran war?? never knew this.
The Courier - Google News Archive Search

But didn't iran even bomb kuwait for supporting iraq?? Kuwaitis allowed flight landing re-fueling of iraqi planes on their way to bomb iranian targets.
Those bombings were linked to the tanker wars in which Kuwaiti tankers were getting bombed by both Iraq and Iran by 1986 and from here led to the involvement of USSR and USA militarily .

All of gcc also provided loans to iraq. In fact the reason for iraqi invasion of kuwait was due to kuwaiti persistance over iraq to pay back their loans?? Man, these people sided both ways then. superrrrrr.
GCC was neutral during Iran - Iraq war and GCC gave loan to Iraq for humanitarian reason and even provide aid to Iran for the rehabilitation of Iranian people. It was mainly USSR, France, China and Americans who were arming both Iran-Iraq to fight with each other . Iraq during that time was the largest oil supplier of the world and even the largest army in Middle east . If GCC would be arming and funding Iraq then the Iranians would never hold meetings with the Saudis in 1985.

The Gulf Cooperation Council: Record and Analysis - Rouhollah K. Ramazani, Joseph A. Kechichian - Google Books

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Some Iranians I have spoken to say they worry that Iran might collapse sometime in the future. Not for the reasons you might expect, but due to intensifying Turkish nationalism in Iranian Azerbaijan, in the northwest of the country. Add to this other sub-nationalist movements, including by Balochis and Kurds, though they at least are Iranic peoples.

One of the things that the present Iranian government is doing well, is ensuring the security and integrity of the country and its relatively diverse population. But if the Iranian government collapses and "regime change" is forced upon the people of Iran, then we can expect to see civil war and bloodshed rivaling that of Iraq.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Some Iranians I have spoken to say worry that Iran might collapse sometime in the future. Not for the reasons you might expect, but due to intensifying Turkish nationalism in Iranian Azerbaijan, in the northwest of the country. Add to this other sub-nationalist movements, including by Balochis and Kurds, though they at least are Iranic peoples.

One of the things that the present Iranian government is doing well, is ensuring the security and integrity of the country and its relatively diverse population. But if the Iranian government collapses and "regime change" is forced upon the people of Iran, then we can expect to see civil war and bloodshed rivaling that of Iraq.
Khuzestan Arabs too.
Rural Iranians/Azeris are more conservative, orthodox supportive of the regime than Urban/Iranians Persians afaik. (not conflating them but treating them both differently)

parijataka

Country flag
Why did Robin Wright use the suffix -stan all over Arabia? It is not an Arab word, and is not likely to be used in the Arabic speaking world. I agree in general, but the maps seems rather simplistic. Also, the colour coding is haphazard, with no legend.
Well, its me and not the author....:cool2:

The text was superimposed on the images - when I copied and pasted the images text had to be pasted separately.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles