If we've to choose between Israel and Iran, choose the former

If India had to choose between Iran and Israel, what should India do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Both of them are our strategic partners and suppliers of important items. Let them be that. Looking for permanent friends in International politics is stupidity. Rather we should praise the government (NDA and UPA) to maintain such a fine balance between two enemies.

There are hundreds of Islamist organisations who consider Israel an enemy. Any one of them can be involved in the recent bombing. Linking them directly to the government of Iran is almost impossible. We suspect ISI for every happening in India; Pakistan Suspects RAW for everything happening there; Arab world suspects MOSSAD for everything- But what is the end result of all these allegation and counter allegation? ZERO....

Practically Israel probably deserves this type of payback. They have not only targeted the terrorists in neighbouring countries but scientists in IRAN as well.

The posted article is idiotic. From strategic issues it jumped to our oil policy. As if our dependence for oil can be changed overnight. The fact is it can take two or more decades to be self reliant in energy. Till then we can't make whole Arab our enemy.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
The posted article is idiotic. From strategic issues it jumped to our oil policy. As if our dependence for oil can be changed overnight.
You raise a good point. Good portion of our oil refineries are geared towards iranian oil (and yes you deluded fools not all oil is exactly the same) and to change all our refineries to saudi oil will take atleast a year...if we're efficient then say 8-10 months.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Humanitarian grounds cant win you a war.

PGMs can.

When was the last time a Islamic country stood by India when it was in a war. ? It is in India's interests that they dont go overboard in their love for Iran , thus creating suspicion and distrust in the minds of Israel.

Oil we can buy from Saudi Arabia if not from Iran. But Phalcon radars ?
Saudi Arabia is an American puppet at the same time the point of origin of all Islamic fundamentalism. Depending up on them totally for a commodity like oil is stupidity. We have to keep some eggs on other basket. Else, if situation arises USA can make the Saudi Tap off for us. And the phalcon doesnt fly without oil.

Israel is now one of our major defence suppliers. But if necessary Russia , France etc can provide good equipments. "Israeli products are best" is just a myth. If a small nation like ISRAEL can make them; it will be no problem for more industrialised nations.

IBSA

Country flag
India should choose both them. Israel and Iran offers to India different benefits.

With Israel, India gains military cooperation, and maybe natural gas and access to Mediterranean Sea without have to pass by Suez Canal.

With Iran, India gets cheap oil, and a partner for Pakistan contention.

Having good ties with the two countries, Indian diplomacy can strenghten its paper as a talks' mediator in the Iran-Israel conflict. India wants a permanent seat in the SC/UN, so it needs the support of several countries and show them that has capacity to contributes to world peace.

I hope India continues de Nehru's tradition of independent foreign policy and non-alignment.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Choose Israel and the "future" Iran. The days of the Mullahs in Tehran are numbered. Once Assad falls the Ayatollah will follow suit... So why bet on a lost cause?

p.s. Regimes will change but Iran as a country will remain, this is where Indian relations should be with not regimes...

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
add option for both because we will have relations with iran whatever regime is in place in iran.

pmaitra

^^

Added both. I guess Abstain covers Both, i.e. India as a fence sitter. I added that option nonetheless.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
thank you.

in the meanwhile let us not forget that western backed iran under the shah was anti-India.

pmaitra

Beating the drums for Iran:

• Iran has never invaded any country but Iran has been invaded or intervened into by outsiders.
  • Iran has been the most reliable partner India has had among all the Muslim majority or Islamic countries.
  • Iran supported India on many issues when India was left to fend for itself by so many in the Arab World despite India's long standing support for the Palestinian cause. We have known how the Arab world thanked us for our long standing support for the Palestinian cause, so this time, India must chose to either side with those against the Arabs or stay neutral.
  • After the invasion of former Yugoslavia, Iraq and Libya, I am finding it hard to justify, from the Iranian PoV, why Iran should not have Nuclear weapons. North Korea is a perfect example why Iran needs nukes.
  • In the current stand-off, apparently, Israel and Arabs are on one side and Iran on the other. My sympathies, if not my support, for Iran.
  • Israel, without a doubt, is a great friend of India. We do not wish their destruction. If there was a repeat of the Yom-Kippur War, I would wholeheartedly support Israel. This time, however, I have my sympathies for Iran, even if it upsets our Israeli friends, for whom, I have my best regards.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Yeah whatever.

The theme of the article is not about arguing whether we should fence sit or choose between one.

It is rather debating, if it comes to choosing one, whom we should choose.

People nowadays, they just type whatever comes to their mind without even giving a flying crap as to what is the premise of the opening post.:tsk:

pmaitra

Yeah whatever.

The theme of the article is not about arguing whether we should fence sit or choose between one.

It is rather debating, if it comes to choosing one, whom we should choose.

People nowadays, they just type whatever comes to their mind without even giving a flying crap as to what is the premise of the opening post.:tsk:
Never mind the theme, the title of the article is explicit - it is not about debating, rather about instructing to support Israel. We all have different opinions. Why don't we justify our stands? I have justified mine.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I support both!

I think one must go by the Supreme Court's 'wise' saying - Wise men go with the wind!

KS

Bye bye DFI
Never mind the theme, the title of the article is explicit - it is not about debating, rather about instructing to support Israel. We all have different opinions. Why don't we justify our stands? I have justified mine.
Yes and that was the author's stand and he pretty much has a solid logic.

Anyway again, I am not going to debate this, If we have a thread with a premise, then logic says we should debate based on that.

The question is , if it comes to that (and believe me it will very soon come to that), whom should we choose - Israel or Iran ?.

The question is pretty much simple and explicit.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Anyway again, I am not going to debate this,

The question is , if it comes to that (and believe me it will very soon come to that), whom should we choose - Israel or Iran.

I think the author wrote this article before he heard the Supreme Court's 'wise' saying!

pmaitra

Anyway again, I am not going to debate this, If we have a thread with a premise, then logic says we should debate based on that.

The question is , if it comes to that (and believe me it will very soon come to that), whom should we choose - Israel or Iran ?.

So you are saying that you fully agree with the author. I am sure you do, because you said it was a no brainer. You are entitled to your opinion.

Let everyone debate and vote. We still have 10 days.

KS

Bye bye DFI
So you are saying that you fully agree with the author. I am sure you do, because you said it was a no brainer. You are entitled to your opinion.

Let everyone debate and vote. We still have 10 days.
I'm saying everyone is debating about the wrong point.

It is very easy to say we need both. Hell I would say the same. But the thing is as we grow in stature, this fence sitting would not work and we need to choose one country. The debate should be, which should be that country - Israel or Iran and the pros and cons of either choice.

Anyhoo its ok.

pmaitra

It is very easy to say we need both. Hell I would say the same. But the thing is as we grow in stature, this fence sitting would not work and we need to choose one country. The debate should be, which should be that country - Israel or Iran and the pros and cons of either choice.

Anyhoo its ok.
Good and very pragmatic point. I agree, we must debate this one.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!

Anyhoo its ok.
Fence sitting would be to vote for abstain. Saying both is not fence sitting...its like asking you which is imp your country or your religion ? naturally both for you.

Now from israel we get military tech which is crucial and there are not many other options while from iran we get oil and gas. If this was the only criterior to choose then i would pick israel since we can get oil and gas from others also while there are not many other countries to choose when it comes to military tech. But these are not the only options because iran also provides us a link to afghanistan and further into central asia and this balances it and because of this iran becomes equally imp for us. If we had pok then it would be israel but we dont have pok.

There is proper thought being put into this and not just whims and biases.

JayATL

Such a great question . Iran is a terrorist entity and this new bombing in Delhi, I tell ya- i don't how you guys( govt too) are not hopping mad. They came and pissed in your backyard, treated your country like some punks.

anyways- playing devil's advocate. You need their ports, they are the ONLY way I'm told to Afghanistan and central Asia w/o Pakistan or china being engaged. . You need Iran geographically.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles