IAF's Tactical/Strategic Bombing capabilities

Ashutosh Lokhande

Agni with nukes is capable of doing the job. On a conventional explosive load, What you propose is quite expensive for India, Isnt it?
But you cant ignore the fact that a fat big bomber (non stealth) would be a piece of cake to take down by the chinnkis.
And also acquiring and maintaining dedicated bomber fleet is no less expensive.
Combo of mki and agnis would make more sense as per my view as of now.

Dhairya Yadav

But you cant ignore the fact that a fat big bomber (non stealth) would be a piece of cake to take down by the chinnkis.
And also acquiring and maintaining dedicated bomber fleet is no less expensive.
Combo of mki and agnis would make more sense as per my view as of now.
For India , even a fleet of 5-10 bombers is sufficient. The best compromise in this case would be Su34 . That thing also has a toilet for its pilots ,crew can stand and move around the cabin, and still can fly like a fighter !

Country flag
There were reports the akula deal included a bomber on lease by Russia.
C17 that India has originally started as a bomber. Maybe it can go back to
It's roots if needed?

PaliwalWarrior

agni are ballistic missiles in strategic category

using them will simply escalate the war

fighter bombers
bombers which can carry & launch cruise missiles are required

Dhairya Yadav

lol dude. Using of airforce/ strategic bombers wont?
No. Ballistic missiles are one of the most deadliest weapons on earth. North Korea has all permits to operate strategic bombers, but they are not authorised by UN to develop/possess ballistic missiles. Still they do have them and thus they have sanctions, rogue state status in their face...

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
What i mean to say is , at present we dont need a bomber. But what about the future? Every superpower maintains strategic bomber fleets. As per my knowledge, China operates Xian H-6 since 1950s, at that time they were no better than India, And still maintain it as they consider it as an important part of their military.
My friend China does not need a strategic bomber to bomb India...... There current military strategy is away from India and it is on the Amerikas.... so they need long endurance bombers...... China and India are not that far. Russia and USA are far away and so they need BOMBERS. But India and China are neighbors.....India needs strike fighters which can cut deep into the chinese installations. We need speed and accuracy and not carpet bombings....Thats the reason why the chinese wanted to get their hands on Su-35's....... India should also go for Su-35 and must get at least one squadron of Su-35 in our fleet.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
No. Ballistic missiles are one of the most deadliest weapons on earth. North Korea has all permits to operate strategic bombers, but they are not authorised by UN to develop/possess ballistic missiles. Still they do have them and thus they have sanctions, rogue state status in their face...
My friend, North Koreans are against the Americans so they face sanctions like Russia. This is a very big game between the Communists and the Capitalists, which is going on for centuries......

Just see the geographical locations of USA and North Korea. In what way they are enemies? They don't have any borders, nor the amerikans import or export anything, nor they do business. BUt the only difference is that North Koreans are supporting the chinese and the South Koreans are supporting the amerikans....

This is a clear fight of communism and capitalism......

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
My friend, North Koreans are against the Americans so they face sanctions like Russia. This is a very big game between the Communists and the Capitalists, which is going on for centuries......

Just see the geographical locations of USA and North Korea. In what way they are enemies? They don't have any borders, nor the amerikans import or export anything, nor they do business. BUt the only difference is that North Koreans are supporting the chinese and the South Koreans are supporting the amerikans....

Dhairya Yadav

North Korea is the prime enemy of south korea, a major ally of USA. You cannot deny the fact that they are one of the world's most hostile countries at present, with no respect for other nations(DPRK news calls SK President Park a Prostitute and Obama her Pimp). After their Nuclear tests, Even Russia, China slapped major sanctions of them. They are one of the poorest countries and still spend 25% of their budget on military . Go and see sat pics of NK's concentration camps, you will be reminded of Hitler.

Dhairya Yadav

My friend China does not need a strategic bomber to bomb India...... There current military strategy is away from India and it is on the Amerikas.... so they need long endurance bombers...... China and India are not that far. Russia and USA are far away and so they need BOMBERS. But India and China are neighbors.....India needs strike fighters which can cut deep into the chinese installations. We need speed and accuracy and not carpet bombings....Thats the reason why the chinese wanted to get their hands on Su-35's....... India should also go for Su-35 and must get at least one squadron of Su-35 in our fleet.
I think you mean the Su-34. I agree with you on this, We atleast need some medium bombing capacity, which can easily be provided by the big fat flanker.

Last edited:

Ashutosh Lokhande

Dude am saying in blown out war su(bomb truck)-agni combo would be deadly and would do the job of dedicated bombers. Maintaining pure dedicated bombers is very expensive and a luxry we might not be able to afford.
And we just dont need them to bomb pak or china. Maybe in future if our threat perception changes towards west then MAYBE we would maintain a dedicated bomber.

If you saying that using agnis will escalte the war. Then why you think using strategic bombers wont?
Any use of airforce is sure to escalate the war. Same would be aplicable for the agnis.

PS: am no expert in these strategic issues but its just my pov. Hoping for any expert to shed light on this.

Last edited:

PaliwalWarrior

lol dude. Using of airforce/ strategic bombers wont?
Airforce will already be in use

once you start using ballistic missiles - the others side wil too and you never know which is nuke and which is conventional

for planes / bombers generally it is known

see if a missile carrier is used it will launch missiles from standoff distances

Ashutosh Lokhande

Use of airforce is regarded as escalating of war. So my point is if we are ready to escalate war or if enemy has then theres no stoping for using our strategic missiles.

And also my point is our pilots would be more likely then not to be shot down before they flat the enemy startegic locations with bombs.(vis-a-vis china)

Ashutosh Lokhande

once you start using ballistic missiles - the others side wil too and you never know which is nuke and which is conventional

for planes / bombers generally it is known

see if a missile carrier is used it will launch missiles from standoff distances
And how will we know if plane is carring nuke mated missiles or no?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles