IAF Wants Long-Range Standoff Strike Missile

plugwater

The Indian Air Force's Directorate of Operations (Offensive) has formally called for information from global vendors to support the potential acquisition of lightweight all weather "standoff long-range missiles" for its fighter aircraft, with mid course guidance. The RFI does not specify range or any other parameters, though it indicates the likelihood of series modification for the integration of the missile once selected.

In a separate effort, the IAF has asked for proposals from infrastructure developers to build an integrated air to ground weapons range on 7,000 acres of land. This will be one of India's largest strike ranges when done.

http://livefist.blogspot.com/

We could very well buy some extra Harpoons, what is the need of this tender ?

Does Air to Ground missile come under MTCR ?

whiplash

The Indian Air Force's Directorate of Operations (Offensive) has formally called for information from global vendors to support the potential acquisition of lightweight all weather "standoff long-range missiles" for its fighter aircraft, with mid course guidance. The RFI does not specify range or any other parameters, though it indicates the likelihood of series modification for the integration of the missile once selected.

In a separate effort, the IAF has asked for proposals from infrastructure developers to build an integrated air to ground weapons range on 7,000 acres of land. This will be one of India's largest strike ranges when done.

http://livefist.blogspot.com/

We could very well buy some extra Harpoons, what is the need of this tender ?

Does Air to Ground missile come under MTCR ?
It does come under MTCR. Therefore my best guess is that by 'long range' they're implying something in the 250-300 km range. Couple that with mid course guidance and my best guess us that we're gonna go for the kh 37

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
what is the need of this long range stand off weapon?air launched version of bhramos is going to be inducted in 2 years and by next year we will see first flight of nirbhoy.the new standoff weapon will surely be a subsonic cruise missile like stormshadow or harpoon and that too with range limited by mtcr.

Country flag
what is the need of this long range stand off weapon?air launched version of bhramos is going to be inducted in 2 years and by next year we will see first flight of nirbhoy.the new standoff weapon will surely be a subsonic cruise missile like stormshadow or harpoon and that too with range limited by mtcr.
if it is indigenous like nirbhay MCTR does not apply.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Air launched Brahmos will be first used for Anti-ship missions before slowly moving to actual A2G variants. And Brahmos is indeed very expensive.

Nirbhay's integration on IAF fighters is still far from induction. Also Nirbhay on MKI/FGFA is visioned for Strategic roles (N-capable) with that range in mind.

--

Its still just RFI, so maybe we should rather wait....

Last edited:

plugwater

It does come under MTCR. Therefore my best guess is that by 'long range' they're implying something in the 250-300 km range. Couple that with mid course guidance and my best guess us that we're gonna go for the kh 37
Thanks for the info. Range of Harpoon block II is 278 km, Since IN have bought it IAF can also go for it.

whiplash

Thanks for the info. Range of Harpoon block II is 278 km, Since IN have bought it IAF can also go for it.
IAF have also bought harpoon block II. So it's safe to assume they aren't looking for harpoons. Because they'd have just gone through FMS again. Quick and easy. The fact that an RFI is issued implies to me that they are looking for a better missile this time around. And furthermore, they may be looking to procure more than just 24 missiles this time

Country flag
The only plane that has harpoons currently is the P8-I's,placing more orders should not be a problem but a TOT/Joint production would be even sweeter.

whiplash

The only plane that has harpoons currently is the P8-I's,placing more orders should not be a problem but a TOT/Joint production would be even sweeter.
Negative. IAF jaguars will operate the harpoon.
Here's the link http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htairw/20100908.aspx

And for numbers as small as 24 producing in india will be unbelievably expensive. Unless we go so far as to make it the standard AShM of our Navy and AF we can't afford it.
Although you are right on one aspect. The P8I will be able to operate only the harpoon and not the KH35/55 series. So 24 missiles for 12 planes is nowhere near enough. I expect a 5 times larger order of harpoons

whiplash

Strategypage is not the most credible site,but a bigger order was recently placed for more Harpoons

http://www.stratpost.com/us-notifie...tter&utm_campaign=Feed:+stratpost+(StratPost)
Even in your source it states that the jaguar will operate the harpoons. And the order you're talking about is not a recent one either. thats the 21 (sorry not 24) harpoons I was talking about for the P8Is.
The order currently is---> 24 AF for Jags.
21 Navy for P8s.
We expect more for the navy. Much more. But the current order is not enough to set up production lines

Country flag
Even in your source it states that the jaguar will operate the harpoons. And the order you're talking about is not a recent one either. thats the 21 (sorry not 24) harpoons I was talking about for the P8Is.
The order currently is---> 24 AF for Jags.
21 Navy for P8s.
We expect more for the navy. Much more. But the current order is not enough to set up production lines
These numbers are probably intentionally misreported so the neighbors do not get alarmed. Harpoons on Jaguars will make them a much more formidable platform, the original order of 24 is reportedly for the Jaguars.1 Harpoon missile normally sells for 1.2 million each. At 200 million the numbers must be much bigger.

whiplash

These numbers are probably intentionally misreported so the neighbors do not get alarmed. Harpoons on Jaguars will make them a much more formidable platform. 1 Harpoon missile normally sells for 1.2 million each.
FMS numbers cannot be misreported. It is the form in which they are presented to the United States congress for approval. You can check DSCA for exact statements of both orders.
Although I'm sure we're buying a few at a time to not set the region into an arms race. But with Pak getting C802s and C803s in frigates and in the JF17, we're gonna need a lot more.

Country flag
FMS numbers cannot be misreported. It is the form in which they are presented to the United States congress for approval. You can check DSCA for exact statements of both orders.
Although I'm sure we're buying a few at a time to not set the region into an arms race. But with Pak getting C802s and C803s in frigates and in the JF17, we're gonna need a lot more.
I would not be suprised to see an order for more KH-35's.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Negative. IAF jaguars will operate the harpoon.
Here's the link http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htairw/20100908.aspx

And for numbers as small as 24 producing in india will be unbelievably expensive. Unless we go so far as to make it the standard AShM of our Navy and AF we can't afford it.
Although you are right on one aspect. The P8I will be able to operate only the harpoon and not the KH35/55 series. So 24 missiles for 12 planes is nowhere near enough. I expect a 5 times larger order of harpoons
Nice... too bad Jaguars don't carry Harpoons.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Condescension? I just gave you a link that states they do.
You posted a link to bollocks which is what stategypage is. That website was supposed to be banned from being posted here for that very reason.

whiplash

What about it? Jaguars don't carry Harpoons. The order is for P8Is. Not my fault Xinhua and strategypage don't know what a Jaguar can't carry.
For the love of god! The air force and the navy placed SEPERATE orders! Last time I checked the air force doesn't operate P8s.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles