IAF Pilot Training

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
As they say, any machine is only as good as the man behind it.

What do we know about the IAF's pilot training? How is the program for established combat pilots? How many hours of training do they get every year?

How does it compare against the PLAAF or the PAF pilot training programs? How does it compare against the pilot training programs of the advanced airforces like USAF, Israel AF, RAF, French AF, Ru AF etc?

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
Only as good as the man behind the screen controlling it!

not sure if this will help you... but rest be assured..., being 4th largest in the world, IAF is comparable to any other major airforce.

"What we've seen in the last two weeks is, the IAF can stand toe-to-toe with best AF in the world. I pity the pilot who has to face the IAF and chances the day to underestimate him; because he won't be going home. Indian hospitality from everyone has been truly overwhelming. The greatest compliment we heard from an IAF pilot, 'You American pilots are just like us, simply down to earth people.' We depart India with great respect for the Indian Air Force. Your pilots, maint and support crew are exceptional professionals."

- Col Greg Newbech, USAF Team Leader​

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I can imagine the USAF team leader was being polite - I am sure he says the same things about PAF pilots too. I would like to see something more solid - but can't find any yet. Anything guys?

This is what I could find about IAF Pilot training and shortages ...

Indian Air Force is short of 600 pilots - Rediff.com News

The Indian Air Force has plenty of female pilots, but does not train women to be fighter pilots. Neighboring Pakistan is not much better, even though it has some female fighter pilots. They fly F-7s, a Chinese version of the Russian MiG-21. None have been in combat yet, despite the heavy use of jet fighter-bombers in nearly a year of fighting in the tribal territories. There, the more modern F-16s are doing most of the bombing of Taliban targets. The Indian air force leaders believe that it costs so much (over $2 million) to train a fighter pilot, that the air force needs 10-15 years of active service to get that investment back. But women tend to leave the air force to have children, thus making them much more expensive fighter pilots than their male counterparts. So the Indian leadership is holding off on female fighter pilots.
Murphy's Law: Why Moslem Women Got To Fly

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
It is quite good but quality could be improved since there is always room for improvement.

This is what a retired airforce pilot told me.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles