IAF needs more than the Pilatus to plug gaps in its flying training

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag

IAF rookies will start learning their first flying lessons on the brand new Pilatus PC-7, a Swiss basic trainer aircraft, from July onwards, but the training troubles at the Air Force Academy, Dundigul, are not getting over anytime soon.

The local aircraft-maker Hindustan Aeronautics Limited is yet to sort out critical design issues related to the development of the Intermediate Jet Trainer (IJT) - a simple jet meant for the second stage of the flying syllabus - leading to concerns about the project on which the pilot training programme is heavily dependent.
The Indian Air Force (IAF) desperately needs IJTs by 2014 by when the existing ageing fleet of Kiran Mk I and Mk II jets - currently being used for the second stage training - will begin to be phased out.

Normally, flying is taught in stages with cadets beginning on basic aircraft, graduating to a jet, and then moving on to more advanced versions of the flying machines.But for the last few years, IAF cadets have been flying Kiran jets right from the word go, an arrangement which is unadvisable. The IJT was first flown in 2003, four years after it was conceived in 1999. But it has been a struggle since then.

The design problems - pertaining to the stall and spin characteristics of the aircraft - became so complicated to address that HAL was forced to appoint a consultant in 2012.

Read more: IAF needs more than the Pilatus to plug gaps in its flying training | Mail Online

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Re: IAF needs more than the Pilatus to plug gaps in its flying trainin

But for the last few years, IAF cadets have been flying Kiran jets right from the word go, an arrangement which is unadvisable.
Why? Anybody know?

Decklander

IAF trained only ten such courses earlier wherein the cadets were directly put into jets for basic training. I am from one such batch. The attrition rate was very high with lot of accidents and resultant deaths. Also many a guys who cud have bcum pilots were shown the door as the syllabus for training was very compressed and only the best cud pass the muster. Imagine going from bicycle to solo in a fighter jet trainer in just 20hrs. That is the total number of hrs I had in my log book when I completed my first solo and I was already cleared to spin the ac also by that time.
India does not have that big an aero industry as Europe and US. We also do not have such an aviation culture. It needs time and patience to train pilots in India. The rookies are outstanding as far as their knowledge of systems and aerodynamics is concerned but they must start from a slow and tolerant ac and not from a high speed jet which is unforgiving.
IAF had HT-2 piston ac as basic trainer till about 133PC (Pilots Course). They were than grounded and from 134PC till 143PC pilots were trained directly on HJT-16s. From 144PC onwards came in HPT-32 which again got grounded couple of years back. So Pilatus is a welcome change.

sob

Mod
Country flag

This is precisely what @p2prada had been trying to explain to some of our friends here. IAF Pilots cannot wait for HAL to develop a trainer 3 years down the line. They need a trainer right now and if needed MOD should order more Pilatus trainers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Decklander

IAF had the chance to allow HAL develop HTT-40 but they scuttled it than. Now they have raised the hue and cry when the whole HPT-32 fleet got grounded. This is what happens when you delay decisions. You end up paying far more for something which was dirt cheap.

sob

Mod
Country flag

My take is that let HAL develop an IJT independent of the Pilatus import. Let them develop the technology. IAF should order them in sufficient numbers.

As the fleet strength grows the need for the trainers will increase and if it is going to be an A class product as HAL claims then there is an export market also out there.
Delays by dithering bureaucrats both in MOD and IAF cannot be allowed.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

My take is that let HAL develop an IJT independent of the Pilatus import. Let them develop the technology. IAF should order them in sufficient numbers.

As the fleet strength grows the need for the trainers will increase and if it is going to be an A class product as HAL claims then there is an export market also out there.
Delays by dithering bureaucrats both in MOD and IAF cannot be allowed.
My take is that let IAF not suffer due to lack of IJT and they be allowed to import those.

Let HAL make the class IJT till next twenty years.....

Both happy ... MoD happy ... politicians happy ...

sob

Mod
Country flag

Precisely HAL IJT cannot hold IAF hostage and block imports of Pilatus

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag

As the IJT is no where in sight and that kirans are also obsolete and insufficient . Why Cant we increase the amount of flying time on the pc-7 , and then go to the hawks. I understand there are other countries doing the same .What s basicaly wrong with the IJT leaving alone the engine problems , are there design faults,HAL seems to be consulting BAE for this.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles