IAF MiG-21 shoots down Pakistani F-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absolut_Vodka

Quarantined Abdul
Banned
Country flag
Upgraded IAF MiG 21 Bison pilot is fitted with Helmet mounted Display. This is old tech I guess
Dude HMD or not, Mig21 radar has active time of 20 min which means after 20 min cooling liquid will be consumed and radar will be off. What makes Mig21 Bis deadly is data link and modern networking.

Read some of the excerpts

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...21-bison-versus-pakistani-f-16-viper-bullshit

During the air combat training drills Cope India 2004, Indian Air Force Su-30Ks would use their powerful radars to build-up situational awareness and then data-link their 'picture' to other aircraft in the airborne force, which seemed to include the upgraded MiG-21s. Either way, the Su-30 pilots could also use radio communications to inform the Bisons of threats and tactical opportunities. The Bison pilots, running with their radars off and emitting few to no electronic emissions that could alert the F-15 crews as to their whereabouts, would use this situational information to their advantage.

With their Elta-8222 jamming pods fired up and wreaking havoc on the F-15C's legendarily powerful AN/APG-63 radar, combined with their already small radar and visual signature, the Bisons would come screaming in out of nowhere to within visual range of the Eagles. They would proceed to shoot the F-15s in the face with their infrared-guided R-73 missiles before blasting by. And even if the Eagles noticed the Bisons at the last moment, the Bison pilots could negate the raw performance of the hulking F-15s by employing the 'fire and forget' R-73 nearly 90 degrees of the centerline of their noses using their helmet-mounted targeting system.

To put it metaphorically, the Bison wasn't a cavalry soldier or a scout, it was a ninja.

In fact, India's claim that the Bison got off an R-73 shot just before being shot down fits exactly with what we know about the Bison's sneaky tactics dating back to Cope India 2004.

scatterStorm

Country flag
What the f*** is this ancient relic tech? It's the Mig21Bis simulator. Seems like pilot is made to play ping pong in middle of engagement.

Thats why this relic needs people who can operate it. Mastering a Mig is pure flying ... that what good aviators say. imagine understanding those hundreds of analog dials! My head was already tripping when I saw it in dcs!

garg_bharat

Country flag

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
It is absolutely clear that Pakistan can use F-16 against India. There never was any doubt.
India bought Mig-29 and Su-30 to deal with F-16.
I am so happy that Mig-21 bison shot down F-16. This completely upsets Pakistan's calculation.
And LCA Tejas is waiting to draw blood as well.
Had tejas been there at that time, things might had turned differently.
But anyway I am excited what nimble tejas family including coming ones can do to pakistan.
we can keep tejas as well as mig-29 for pakis.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I can see a pattern of deception on Indian side using widely available photos and videos (often from Pakistani origins) of shoot down, crash site and now arrest of Abhenandan, and mischaracterizing these videos and photos as allegedly:

1. Wreckage of F-16 when the photo is actually of Abhenandan's own Mig-21 -

2. Or F-16 EFT when it was actually Abhenandan's Mig-21's own centerline EFT -
used.

3. Or trying to pass off these videos as F-16 falling when both actually are footages of Abhenzndan's Mig-21 jet falling -

And yet the constant accusation here against Pakistan is its natural tendency to lie about practically everything (which I agree). But Indians do not have to act like Pakistanis... :facepalm:
So as per You Abhi's Mig-21 corkscrewed in the air after being hit and ended up like a Flat Bread on the ground, yet its EFT was found in this condition. Where is the story adding?

As far as so-called Deception is concerned. I give you just one example. If IAF and Indian administration up for deception we would have buried MI-17V crash that happened during the air engagement. Instead of going with a court of inquiry to find out if it was a case of fratricide. Which anyway is far more embarrassing. Tells a lot about the integrity and professionalism of IAF.

Contrast it with shooting down of 2 PAF JF-17s by their one Chinese SAM. which they tried to hide by issuing NOTAM locking the airport and even its surrounding areas.

So before you question the integrity of IAF educate yourself. Radar picture of the encounter is more than enough proof that IAF should make public. You believing or not is even least of concernsns.

Last edited:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
when this site was offline.

I posted this thread in twitter..........................

Looks like stoke of luck that PA did not move this with cover.

Wonderful. find.

The way Abhi's Mig was found on the ground. No way another large size 6x6 was required to transport what. Indeed it is carrying debris of a second aircraft flown by "2nd Pilot from CMS" which was none other than an F-16D.

They will be extra careful when transporting F16 debris, we need confirm before coming to conclusion.
They were not careful announcing their own F-16 pilot as IAF pilot and changing the story within hours.

Euphoria is their virtue not being CAREFUL.

Despite the obvious business loss neither LM and US's DoD has issued any rejection about Mig-21 shooting down a PAF F-16. Tells a lot about the truth.

That 2nd orange 6x6 is definitely carrying debris of another aircraft.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Friends let me tell you that IAF rarely makes public reasons of air accidents.
Mi-17 is basically an accident whatever the reasons.

The situation with Mig-21 was different as pilot was captured by enemy.

Many incidents happen involving the Forces; but most of it is never released to Press.

We have no idea if CoI completed or not. IAF is unlikely to tell.

Compersion

Country flag
Perhaps we ought to have tested the Dhanush Artillery system and blown up the Mig-21 crash site peripheral area in the name of intellectual property protection and non-disclosure commitment to the international community and the system partners within the mig-21 airframe (including but not limited to Russia, Israel, ...). This would have been most useful knowing full and well the pilot was captured and also he had returned.

Abbottabad the helicopter that was crashed ... its parts were taken ... There is also the news that the crashed F-16 (along with Mig-21) its parts are taken ... all fair? perhaps its also fair to have such details and information protected?

In the end, the PoJk areas is ours ... we can bomb and clear area (for testing purposes also),

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles