IAF Chooses Apache AH-64E Attack Helicopter

drkrn

Can you please amplify on the bold part??
for suppose in a battle scenario with pakistan, our enemy will be having no idea about the placement of our apaches.the only thing he can predict is that they will be used against high valued targets,so they will have to increase the armour of important ones at the cost of other areas.they will become less mobile because of defensive posture.

good enough for psychological domination

pmaitra

All the three helicopters have their advantages.

Mil-24/35AH-64DHAL LCH
Armour and speed is enviable. Can go very close to the enemy and engage them. Can also work as troop insertion and troop support at the same time. Successful in Afghanistan.Modern electronics enables it to engage armour from a safe distance. Successful in Afghanistan.Ideal for high-altitude warfare. Light and efficient in rarefied atmosphere.

jmj_overlord

apache has more advanced avionics and systems compared to mi 35 and lch, right ? so why only 22 ? cost factor ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Regarding LCH, It has a range of 700kms unmached by others, Besides operating in extreme rarefied atmosphere ..

Mil-24/35AH-64DHAL LCH
Armour and speed is enviable. Can go very close to the enemy and engage them. Can also work as troop insertion and troop support at the same time. Successful in Afghanistan.Modern electronics enables it to engage armour from a safe distance. Successful in Afghanistan.Ideal for high-altitude warfare. Light and efficient in rarefied atmosphere.

hello_10

Tihar Jail
Banned

Mil-24/35AH-64DHAL LCH

Apache is expansive but its the best military helicopter at present. we hope to see it in Indian inventory soon :thumb:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
AH-64 is most modern Gunship on this planet, Its radar guided HELLFIRE are one of the reason its so popular ..

Such Platform have huge physiological impact if used ..
And in a hotly contested environment the advanced networking capability of the Block III means that it is more survivable than any other attack helicopter (note that it can control a UAV and deploy it ahead of the formation to scout and identify targets and dangers). A more survival platform means that the crew will feel safer taking it to a danger zone. And this feeling of security will translate to more daring and efficient attack executions, which is what is important for attack helicopters.

happy

And in a hotly contested environment the advanced networking capability of the Block III means that it is more survivable than any other attack helicopter (note that it can control a UAV and deploy it ahead of the formation to scout and identify targets and dangers). A more survival platform means that the crew will feel safer taking it to a danger zone. And this feeling of security will translate to more daring and efficient attack executions, which is what is important for attack helicopters.
Thanq @drkrn, @pmaitra and @Kunal Biswas. Never heard of a heli being able to control and operate a UAV. Are the UAV controls inbuilt or are they addons? Nevertheless, I realize that it is a fantastic machine.

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

Thanq @drkrn, @pmaitra and @Kunal Biswas. Never heard of a heli being able to control and operate a UAV. Are the UAV controls inbuilt or are they addons? Nevertheless, I realize that it is a fantastic machine.
This is not a new idea.

The Soviet/Russian Slava class missile frigates (or destroyers if you will) have the same concept. They launch a salvo of missiles. One or two of them observe the targets (an enemy flotilla), and direct the remaining missiles to different targets. That is why it is called a "carrier killer" (or destroyer of carrier battle groups).

Here, the concept is similar. The drone identifies the targets (and is guided from one helicopter), and then the drone guides the helicopters to the targets.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
LCH comes with similar qualities ..

And in a hotly contested environment the advanced networking capability of the Block III means that it is more survivable than any other attack helicopter (note that it can control a UAV and deploy it ahead of the formation to scout and identify targets and dangers)..

happy

This is not a new idea.

The Soviet/Russian Slava class missile frigates (or destroyers if you will) have the same concept. They launch a salvo of missiles. One or two of them observe the targets (an enemy flotilla), and direct the remaining missiles to different targets. That is why it is called a "carrier killer" (or destroyer of carrier battle groups).

Here, the concept is similar. The drone identifies the targets (and is guided from one helicopter), and then the drone guides the helicopters to the targets.
I thought "carrier killer" meant that the angle of attack and speed of a missile defeated conventional anti-missile defences. So if one missile is designated with observation of targets, my question is will it send the target coordinates directly to the other missiles in the salvo or will it relay the info to the destroyer which inturn relays the coordinates to the other missiles in the salvo?

Coming back to apache, if the drone is guided from one heli, will it cripple it's other capabilities simultaneously like returning enemy fire or launching missiles etc?

pmaitra

I thought "carrier killer" meant that the angle of attack and speed of a missile defeated conventional anti-missile defences. So if one missile is designated with observation of targets, my question is will it send the target coordinates directly to the other missiles in the salvo or will it relay the info to the destroyer which inturn relays the coordinates to the other missiles in the salvo?

Coming back to apache, if the drone is guided from one heli, will it cripple it's other capabilities simultaneously like returning enemy fire or launching missiles etc?
Perhaps I will open a thread on the Slava class later, after doing thorough research. This thread is not exactly a naval thread. Regarding the AH-64D, may I request @asianobserve to post more details and answer these questions?

Thanks!

happy

This is not a new idea.

Perhaps I will open a thread on the Slava class later, after doing thorough research. This thread is not exactly a naval thread. Regarding the AH-64D, may I request @asianobserve to post more details and answer these questions?

Thanks!
Can you pls shed some light on this??

drkrn

afaik apache is highly network centric,even when pilots are under heavy attack with its all around connectivity nearby forces will aid it.more or less like symbiosis

as apache has two pilots one controls the drones another the apache..so,mission is never compromised

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Great!!!!! After inducting these Apache Helicopters, HAL scientists should study it and improve its Light Combat Helicopter (LCH).

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
LCH comes with similar qualities ..
Have you ever wondered why the LCH is so much lighter than the Apache? Let me ask you, if given a free choice, which would you ride into combat with Pakistan, LCH or Apache?

pmaitra

Have you ever wondered why the LCH is so much lighter than the Apache? Let me ask you, if given a free choice, which would you ride into combat with Pakistan, LCH or Apache?
If I had to fly over the mountains and glaciers, I'd pick HAL LCH. If at lower altitudes, I'd pick AH-64D.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles