IAF begins Apache trials

SHASH2K2

IAF begins Apache trials
Sunday, July 18, 2010
By Saurabh Joshi

The Indian Air Force (IAF) began trials for the AH-64D Apache Longbow attack helicopter last week. IAF sources confirmed that the aircraft, which is competing with the Russian Mi-28 for the IAF's tender for 22 attack helicopters, has already completed trials in Jaisalmer and is currently undergoing high altitude, flight and maneuverability demonstrations at Leh.

The trials are expected to continue till the end of next week, after which the Mi-28 is expected to be given a similar once-over. The maintenance and weapons trials of the former will be conducted in the United States in the coming weeks.

Features of the AH-64D Apache Longbow. Source: Boeing
Dean Millsap of Boeing Rotorcraft Systems, told visiting Indian media in Philadelphia in May that the company had crash-tested the aircraft to a drop-speed of 40 feet per second. The company is pitching its ballistically-tolerant structure, which can withstand an impact up to 23 millimeters, to emphasize the survivablility of the aircraft. The aircraft also has self sealing, Kevlar armor-protected fuel cells under the pilot's seat, as well as a system to deploy nitrogen gas to starve any outbreak of fire of oxygen, called nitrogen-inerting crash resistant fuel cells. Both, pilot as well as gunner, have the benefit of the night vision generated by FLIR (Forward Looking Infra Red) sensor. But Boeing expects the Longbow radar on the Apache to end the argument. The radar dome, which has a millimeter wave radar, is located on top of the main rotor allowing optimum detection capability. The aircraft can also digitally share information on targets with other aircraft and systems.

Interestingly, Boeing has developed a capability in the Apache to control Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV). While so far this ability is restricted to control over a single UAV, the company is building systems to allow airborne control over multiple UAVs. So far this is not a capability that has been offered to or requested by the IAF.

The first of the Apache Block III are expected to be delivered in October next year and deployed with the first US Army units by June 2012.

The trials for the IAF's requirement for 15 heavy lift helicopters are also expected to begin after the Apache, on July 27, with the Chinook being put through its paces at Chandigarh, where it has already arrived, and Leh. Both the Apache and the Chinook were brought to India by C-17 aircraft, possibly to quietly underline the capabilities of the strategic lifter, ten of which are also being considered for purchase by the IAF, after it underwent trials last month.

http://www.stratpost.com/iaf-begins-apache-trials

dineshchaturvedi

Country flag
For god's sake please finish this trial in time. Also why we are buying just 22? Are we buying only for sake of it that number looks tiny.

StealthSniper

We definitely need more Helicopters then 22. For a country like India we need at least 100 or more modern gunships in our arsenal.

gb009

Btw what would IAF do with attach helicopters? I thought these are used by army?

Maverick007

Attack choppers should be used by the army for more seamless air support...........I think that the 22 choppers are the interim gap fillers to further fine tune the LCH to make it an even more lethal machine and help speed up the development process

SHASH2K2

Isn't LCH suitable mainly for high altitude operations where heavy helicopters cannot operate? If thats the case we still need lots of heavy choppers like Apache.

zraver

Professional
The Apache D is a world beater and your guys will love it.

ppgj

Isn't LCH suitable mainly for high altitude operations where heavy helicopters cannot operate? If thats the case we still need lots of heavy choppers like Apache.
true LCH has been designed for "high altitude" operations but that does not mean they can't operate at low altitudes!!! advantage is even with a lesser payload they can do at higher alt what the others can't. in fact they will be able to carry more payload at lower altitudes. :happy_2:

however LCH will be operational only post 2015 IMO. hence this tender for Apache and Mi 28 havoc to make up for the time!!! also Apache and Mi 28s are heavier class and have bigger MTOW.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The RFQ for the helos includes high altitude op. Apache is suitable for that as well. Its operational in Astan too which gives it that combat proven tag.

threadbrowser

Hope we buy a heck of a lot more than 22 though.
I would love it if finally our guys out on patrol can do the same thing the US does in Afghanistan, whistle up some chopper support and sit back and watch the show.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
India will repent for every single weapon system it has bought from usa when it will need them most.

prateikf

Country flag
yes just 22 is such a tiny number. that small number would not be sufficient for a nation such as Israel. India which has vast boundaries need's much more than 22. But hope at least they buy something. The way things are going it would be a great thing just for the contract to be concluded and the weapon system to be inducted.

Agantrope

yes just 22 is such a tiny number. that small number would not be sufficient for a nation such as Israel. India which has vast boundaries need's much more than 22. But hope at least they buy something. The way things are going it would be a great thing just for the contract to be concluded and the weapon system to be inducted.
I smell we are doing something rite now. We need some technologies for the LCH; It cant jump from sky rather we can buy the technology and understand it. Probably i feel Apache will clinche the deal, we may use some of its technology to understand and put it in the Apache like the Weapon Pods, Maneuverability, study on the rugged landing gear (Apache is leader here)

sandeepdg

I think 22 is still a small number, it should have been atleast 50 of these Apache birds, and all of them should have been for the Army. If we are planning to retire the Mi 24/Mi 35s, which hardly number around 20-25, then we should have at least twice the number as per our growing requirements which will be effectively met when the LCH becomes fully operational. Also, I think, that since the Army has its own Aviation Corps, the IAF should transfer most of choppers to IA.

Agantrope

I think 22 is still a small number, it should have been atleast 50 of these Apache birds, and all of them should have been for the Army. If we are planning to retire the Mi 24/Mi 35s, which hardly number around 20-25, then we should have at least twice the number as per our growing requirements which will be effectively met when the LCH becomes fully operational. Also, I think, that since the Army has its own Aviation Corps, the IAF should transfer most of choppers to IA.
Apache will be a stop gap for the Mi-24 and Mi-35, which inturn will be used to the Mao opeartions

SHASH2K2

Apache will be a stop gap for the Mi-24 and Mi-35, which inturn will be used to the Mao opeartions
You mean to say that we are getting apaches only because MI 24 and MI 35 will be used in anti Maoists operations? It will takes at least 2 years for delivery and we will be waiting till that time as we donot have enough choppers. Thats not acceptable by any standard. It means we are having acute shortage of equipments and need more than just 22 .

SHASH2K2

For me the low numbers can mean one things "KICKBACKS".
As per me there is no kickback involved but definitely it will be a logistical nightmare.
we need to develop support infrastructure , train people and invest money . I don't think that it will be economical to get only 22 of these machines . Complete waste of money.

dark_king

As per me there is no kickback involved but definitely it will be a logistical nightmare.
we need to develop support infrastructure , train people and invest money . I don't think that it will be economical to get only 22 of these machines . Complete waste of money.
Well when we go for a follow up order there will be some renegotiation on the price (appreciation of currency) and other thing which i may not know of.So kickbacks will be there if there is a follow up order.

Agantrope

22 is very less number, Follow up order will be placed after seeing the performance of the both machines. Dont jump to a conclusion as Apache is pitted against Mi-28 the flying tank.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles