IAC-1 to be floated on August 12: Cochin Shipyard

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
In a recent Interview which appeared in "The Hindu" Commodore K. Subramaniam, Chairman and Managing Director of Cochin Shipyard has informed that Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) -1 of the Indian Navy will be floated on August 12 by the Union Defence Minister A. K. Antony.

It will be taken to the repair dock for installing ski-jump on the vessel after which weapon systems and trials would be held.first ship of the class INS Vikrant will displace about 40,000 metric tons (39,000 long tons), be 262 metres (860 ft) long and have a tailored air group of up to thirty aircraft.

lead Vikrant class carrier (IAC-I) features a STOBAR (Short Take-Off But Arrested Recovery) configuration with a ski-jump. The deck is designed to enable aircraft such as the MiG-29 to operate from the carrier. It will deploy up to 20 fixed-wing aircraft, primarily the Mikoyan MiG-29K and the naval variant of the HAL Tejas Mark 2, besides carrying 10 Kamov Ka-31 or Westland Sea King helicopters.

http://idrw.org/?p=23515

Last edited:

TrueSpirit

Finally, a positive news; if followed by concomitant action on ground.

One question to experts: why do we always have lesser number of aircrafts on-board out Aircraft Carrriers' ? For this tonnage, by backward extrapolation, it should have at least 40 aircrafts, not 30. I am bench-marking USS Nimitz-class carriers against it.

Is it a ski-jump related issue (lower sortie generation rate), dimensional constraint, logistical-maintenance issue (supply-related) or a policy (that we won't put all eggs in 1 basket- here 1 AC) ? Maybe, this could change with CATOBAR on our third indigenous carrier (INS Vishal, right ?)
@sayareakd @Kunal Biswas @ersakhtivel @p2prada

Last edited by a moderator:

lookieloo

One question to experts: why do we always have lesser number of aircrafts on-board out Aircraft Carrriers' ? For this tonnage, by backward extrapolation, it should have at least 40 aircrafts, not 30. I am bench-marking USS Nimitz-class carriers against it.
The ratio of tonnage to aircraft carried is typically non-linear. Ergo... a 50,000 ton carrier embarks less than 1/2 the aircraft of a 100,000 ton ship. Thirty aircraft is still pretty good for a boat that size (I understand the Mig-29K folds up pretty tight).

TrueSpirit

The ratio of tonnage to aircraft carried is typically non-linear. Ergo... a 50,000 ton carrier embarks less than 1/2 the aircraft of a 100,000 ton ship. Thirty aircraft is still pretty good for a boat that size (I understand the Mig-29K folds up pretty tight).
Yes, I can see that but what exactly is the reason behind this non-linearity ? I have seen similar limitations on Russian & UK Aircraft Carriers', as well.

While the French aircraft carriers do not seem to follow this so-called non-linearity. See, old Clemenceau-class aircraft carriers, Marine Nationale's Charles de Gaulle. for example. I believe, it is mostly due to CATOBAR's advantage of allowing a larger sortie generation rate.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@TrueSpirit, That is the number in hanger, On deck it can carry more..

Cannot comment more, as its in making..

Decklander

This ship will carry a war compliment much higher than this. remember the laod carried by present Viraat than Hermes in Falkland war?
This ship will be ready for sea trials in mid 2015.

TrueSpirit

This ship will carry a war compliment much higher than this. remember the laod carried by present Viraat than Hermes in Falkland war?
This ship will be ready for sea trials in mid 2015.
OK, so 20 + 10 aircrafts is not the max. capacity but the standard complement on routine patrols. Going by HMS Hermes example, IAC-1 might carry 6-10 more aircrafts. Right ?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
OK, so 20 + 10 aircrafts is not the max. capacity but the standard complement on routine patrols. Going by HMS Hermes example, IAC-1 might carry 6-10 more aircrafts. Right ?
If weather isn't an issue, you can cram quite a few aircraft onto the flight deck. Standard compliment is 12 MiG-29K and 8 LCA-N with an assortment of 10 medium helicopters. They could boost to two full squadrons with 12 LCA-N, you would just have to worry about storms. I would like to see a rocket assisted E-2D on deck, that would go light years to extending the eyes of the fleet.

TrueSpirit

If weather isn't an issue, you can cram quite a few aircraft onto the flight deck. Standard compliment is 12 MiG-29K and 8 LCA-N with an assortment of 10 medium helicopters. They could boost to two full squadrons with 12 LCA-N, you would just have to worry about storms. I would like to see a rocket assisted E-2D on deck, that would go light years to extending the eyes of the fleet.
IAC might not go for Hawkeye but a similar version co-developed with a partner nation, maybe another Russian platform with Israeli radar (like, in our AWACS).

By the way, what's a rocket assisted Hawkeye ?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
IAC might not go for Hawkeye but a similar version co-developed with a partner nation, maybe another Russian platform with Israeli radar (like, in our AWACS).

By the way, what's a rocket assisted Hawkeye ?
Better bet would be going with an Antonov or EADS design. Rocket assisted takeoff, since it doesn't have catapults.

p2prada

Yes, I can see that but what exactly is the reason behind this non-linearity ? I have seen similar limitations on Russian & UK Aircraft Carriers', as well.

While the French aircraft carriers do not seem to follow this so-called non-linearity. See, old Clemenceau-class aircraft carriers, Marine Nationale's Charles de Gaulle. for example. I believe, it is mostly due to CATOBAR's advantage of allowing a larger sortie generation rate.
Nimitz can pack 130 Super Hornets during war time. During peace time it is around 60-90.

Smaller carriers have smaller dimensions while still carrying a large crew. Hence more space is lost in non-aviation sectors.

Smaller carriers also have smaller loads of aviation fuel, which limits the number and types of aircraft.

lookieloo

See basic formulas for calculating surface area and volume. As for the French carriers, it's rather difficult to guess since the aircraft they used to operate were smaller than is typical today. I don't know what the normal load is now, but I reckon it's less since the Rafale's wings don't fold.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Nimitz can pack 130 Super Hornets during war time. During peace time it is around 60-90.

Smaller carriers have smaller dimensions while still carrying a large crew. Hence more space is lost in non-aviation sectors.

Smaller carriers also have smaller loads of aviation fuel, which limits the number and types of aircraft.
Nimitz couldn't dream of 130 SH. 90 is a full compliment but they run at half strength, 48.

Decklander

Wrong. During war make it 45 ac in all or may be 50 ac.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Is their an aircraft engine overhauling facility in an Aircraft carrier?
@Decklander ?

Decklander

We maintain such spares facility on board including engines. The fuel tanks for ships own propulsion needs and for that of ac are always below the water line and well protected by armour plates and quick shut off and seal off valves. The capacity for carriage of ac of a ship is based on hanger deck space only. What we can keep on the deck is additional and we do that during war.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles