I will have a travel in north india, could indian friends give me some useful info?

RedDragon

Below chart shows India not a 'cheap' destination wow

Even expensive than Sweden? Really??? I'm really astonished. But why?? I think in the developing country things will be cheaper than rich country.

I have been the USA and several country of EU, all their price of food and hotel is much more expensive than China.

aoyegui

That is the probelm with people like you, who visit India.. You come to India with 1000$ in hand. Stay and eat in filthy hotel and locations. Then when u go back write in blogs or on net, that India is dirty:mad2::mad2:
Easy, sir. I don't have any biases for anybody and anycountry. For me, the travel is just a kind of experience. Even travelling in China, I had not only stayed in the over $400/pernight hotel, but also sleeped on the free park-seat. So, take it easy.
For this travel, i also want to have some different expericences. I have ordered 2 train tickets, one is SL, the other is AC3. I will order more different level of tickets. and my plane tickets to india is business class, and back to China is the cheapest tourist class and need transfering at a middle city. I had order the hotel for $10/pernight at Delhi, and also still trying to find somepeople to share a cheapest room of Taj lake palace at Udaipur. it's RS34000/pernight! too expensive for me, but if I could find 2 people, i really want to enjoy onenight! Unfortunately, until now, i don't find anyone. :(
So, for me, good things and bad things are all part of real life. just calmly face it. I really wish you could get my thoughts.:namaste:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Easy, sir. I don't have any biases for anybody and anycountry. For me, the travel is just a kind of experience. Even travelling in China, I had not only stayed in the over $400/pernight hotel, but also sleeped on the free park-seat. So, take it easy.
For this travel, i also want to have some different expericences. I have ordered 2 train tickets, one is SL, the other is AC3. I will order more different level of tickets. and my plane tickets to india is business class, and back to China is the cheapest tourist class and need transfering at a middle city. I had order the hotel for $10/pernight at Delhi, and also still trying to find somepeople to share a cheapest room of Taj lake palace at Udaipur. it's RS34000/pernight! too expensive for me, but if I could find 2 people, i really want to enjoy onenight! Unfortunately, until now, i don't find anyone. :(
So, for me, good things and bad things are all part of real life. just calmly face it. I really wish you could get my thoughts.:namaste:
I was planning a jeep tour from South India to North...I had no company either..may be we could have joined for travel.

Chinese travelers have been comeing to India since before Hiun-Tsiang, your very welcome here my friend.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
That is the probelm with people like you, who visit India.. You come to India with 1000$ in hand. Stay and eat in filthy hotel and locations. Then when u go back write in blogs or on net, that India is dirty:mad2::mad2:
Don't put same hat on everyone.

I am sure aoyegui will have good things to write about India now since everybody has helped him with 60+ replies on DFI itself :D

aoyegui

Bihar, today, has one of the best security situations among the north-(eastern) states! IPS officers are just dying to be posted there because there is the least political interference in the law-and-order situation. Turnaround? I know!

Kolkata is a city very rich in culture but that side is a whole other trip. If you're going to Kolktata, it'd be a good idea to visit Sikkim and some of the north-eastern states. But that'd take at least 15-20 days on it's own.

My guess, aoyegui, is that you'll be touring up in the north-west. Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Udaipur, Varanasi and Rishikesh are all good ideas. Try and make a trip to Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand, if you can. Shimla, Kulu-Manali and Dehradun are good places to visit.

Dress warm. It'll be cold, although perhaps not as much for a Chinese. If your in Rajasthan, be prepared for large temperature variations. The deserts at night are cold, and are very warm during the day.

Keep your wits about you. People will read your body language, and how confident you look will determine their behavior toward you. Beware of touts. Be instinctive: if you feel something is not right, avoid it. You'll learn that soon after you reach India.

Relying on professional organizations and travel agencies is always better. As opposed to semi-formal agents, even though they may offer a better price, especially since your a non-native.

Avoid eating at roadside food places. Since your palate and immunity are not accustomed to it. You can get the same road side food, at much better, hygienic joints for a slightly higher price.

Networking with student travel organizations-such as the YHAI or Youth Hostel Association of India, the YMCA in the city your in amd the Indian Student Traveller may not be a bad idea. These places can offer you useful travel tips and ideas, if not cheap accommodation, transport and packages themselves.

You can do everything from your internet-enabled phone in India nowadays. From paying bills to booking reservations at restaurants to finding directions for a place you don't know. Cellphone important! Rely on websites such as BookmyShow or Delhievents to i know what good events are on in the city on that day. Some other useful numbers and websites are 0888 8888 or JustDial.com for city consumer/services info., 100 for police and 108 for emergencies/fire/ambulance. Beware of delays in services, especially police and ambulance. Private services are a lot more efficient than Government services in the city. Know the name of your closest hospital.

Varanasi is a dirty city, but it's beauty is not apparent, it is spiritual. You'll have to really discover the traditions and practices of the world's most ancient city to enjoy it.

Keep sipping water. It's easy to forget especially in the non humid climate of North India, to drink enough water. Wash out your face, nose and throat everytime you come from out to avoid complications.

Enjoy the food. But be careful of it's heavy-ness. North Indian food, in particular, is rich in oils, dry fruits etc. Everything in smaller than king-sized quantities is the way to go. Enjoy the fruits and vegetables. The number of vegetables and vegetarian-preparations in India is mind-boggling.

Be advised that you may not find a toilet outside, while travelling. And if you do find one, it is likely to be dirty. You can however use the loo's at upscale restaurants, and some gas stations and because you're a tourist, 'decent' shops and shop-keepers might oblige you.

Respect the: Live and let live policy. However, if confronted with overt aggression, being much more aggressive than your counterpart will work. Be street-smart.

P.S. Delhi is known for road-rage. And Varanasi, and Uttar Pradesh in general, tend to be more notorious for crime than anywhere else. Advisable to travel in groups.

P.P.S. You might want to have a little more than $1000 i.e. if it includes hotel stay- as others have said- to have a good time in India. Things in India now are expensive. In some cases, just slightly under world prices.
thank you so much! it's very useful.

Nagraj

that little book is really handy.do buy an english one so if u are unable to pronounce names in indian accents :) a fellow traveller can help you by reading it :)
I really hope you bought an Lonely Planet guide, its impossible to travel without one. If you haven't then please please buy one, no second thoughts.

aoyegui

thanks above all friends! I had got LP, but i think LP just a reference. I pay more attention to the local peolpe's experiences about the details.

aoyegui

I was planning a jeep tour from South India to North...I had no company either..may be we could have joined for travel.

Chinese travelers have been comeing to India since before Hiun-Tsiang, your very welcome here my friend.
did u mind post your travel plan?

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Contact a local agent get yourself a tourist guide and hire a cab, this might be a bit on the costlier side but you get better experience of life in India, don't forget to stop on Dhabas to have you lunch and refreshments. Dhaba is a local name trend for roadside food joints for the passerby, but take the advice of the tourist guide for selecting your stop and not to be in the wrong place. Enjoy Indian foods but take care of the spice level as some dishes are full of spice and might be unfriendly for an alien stomach. Consider contracting some reputed and genuine tourist agency.

amoy

Here's my take: The chart is about how much a tourist on average spends in a destination country. Foreign visitors tend to consume more where they feel worthwhile, often irrespective of the host country is " rich or poor"

Even expensive than Sweden? Really??? I'm really astonished. But why?? I think in the developing country things will be cheaper than rich country.

I have been the USA and several country of EU, all their price of food and hotel is much more expensive than China.

Arunpillai

Why do i get the feeling that Aoyegui's here not for travel info but for the debate..

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Why do i get the feeling that Aoyegui's here not for travel info but for the debate..
Did he took the debate up to a controversy? as I didn't notice anything like that from his side, but a few other.

Blackwater

Hi Mr don't tel that u r Chinese while traveling to Himachal or UA. If tibetians finds you. we will not be responsible. Even in rest of India be careful. You know recently you banged our embassy staff and few traders .:cool2::cool2:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Hi Mr don't tel that u r Chinese while traveling to Himachal or UA. If tibetians finds you. we will not be responsible. Even in rest of India be careful. You know recently you banged our embassy staff and few traders .:cool2::cool2:

ayengui, blackwater is just messing with you.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
aoyegui try visiting India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com for more enlighten travel information and maybe you find some partner to make the journey cheap. This is a defence forum and comments will be more or less from a geo-political point of view and defence interests.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
aoyegui

You are versatile.You will adjust to India like a fish to water.

Do you really want to go to HP?

There are western hippies out there and drugs, I believe, are in plenty.

Yes, there are Tibetans there too!

aoyegui

aoyegui try visiting India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com for more enlighten travel information and maybe you find some partner to make the journey cheap. This is a defence forum and comments will be more or less from a geo-political point of view and defence interests.
Yes, i had felt it. Maybe this thread is not on the right way now. so please administer lock this thread.
Anyway, Thanks to all friends!:namaste:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles