I was offered a bribe of Rs. 14 crore, says Army Chief

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The Army Chief is saying he was too much in a state of shock ("bhauchakya" was the word he used )to actually report that person offering the bribe which was of an "indirect" nature.

He then told the Def Min who he says hit his hand on his head and said we should not have such people anywhere close to us.

Things are getting murkier. The answers by the Chief is not clear and straight forward.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Things are getting murkier. The answers by the Chief is not clear and straight forward.
He dont have to spell every word..

As a Genral his sligtest hint is more than a story..

My eyes are on Gen Deepak Saar..

anoop_mig25

Country flag
well nothing would happen unless current general take itself .the scam would die his natural death when general retries in may. i had read in newspaper that durning JJ SINGHS TIME that he had used influence from some close to first family to get top job.is this rumors to be true

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
You are asking Question ? Never heard that any links ..

panduranghari

Without disclosing who, where when, my uncle who is a collector in India in a metropolis gets offered 2- 3 crores daily.

Oracle

Why are we crucifying the GoI? This was a deal, which did not happen, because the General snubbed the other and refused to be bribed.

This is a very unfortunate incident. The cancer which was the tool of the ruling government, has found it's way into the military. I watched the Gen's interview and admire his coming clean on the issue. Even the Defence Minister is clean according to the General. The guys responsible should be found out and thrown out of the Armed Forces.

Oracle

Govt orders CBI probe into allegation of bribe by Army chief

NEW DELHI: The government on Monday ordered a CBI inquiry into the allegation made by Army chief Gen V K Singh that he was offered a Rs 14 crore bribe by a lobbyist.

A CBI probe was ordered by defence minister A K Antony in the wake of the Army chief's allegation, defence ministry officials said.

Earlier, both houses of Parliament were adjourned till 2pm after the opposition MPs created a ruckus over the disclosures made by the Army chief.

Terming Gen Singh's allegations as "serious", Antony told reporters outside Parliament, "We have to handle it...I have taken action."

When asked if the Army chief had informed him about the bribe offer, he said, "Parliament is in session."

In an interview to a newspaper, the Army chief alleged that an equipment lobbyist offered him a bribe of Rs 14 crore, which he had reported to the Defence Minister.

He said the lobbyist offered him the bribe in order to have a tranche of 600 sub-standard vehicles of a particular make cleared for purchase.

"Just imagine, one of these men had the gumption to walk up to me and tell me that if I cleared the tranche, he would give me Rs 14 crore. He was offering a bribe to me, to the Army chief. He told me that people had taken money before me and they will take money after me," Gen Singh said.

Reacting to the allegation leveled by Gen Singh, BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi said, "Both the Defence Minister and the Army chief should have acted immediately.

"It is a criminal act and nobody should be allowed to go scot free after offering a bribe," he told reporters outside Parliament.

Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said, "Whenever such allegation is leveled by any senior official, the government makes sure that it is clarified."

"He (Gen Singh) has said a very serious thing in his statement and every thing should be made clear in black and white," she said.

On the statement of Gen Singh, former Army chief Deepak Kapoor said, "It is below my dignity to comment on the allegation."

san

We always blame babus and politicians on defence corrupution but IA itself is very much in corruption. Thanks to COAS to tell the truth. Do we believe that all the opposition against induction of own hardware is without some reason?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
IA itself is very much in corruption.
Its not Rampat as in Civil but there is corruption..

In Army there are rules and these are strictly followed, If you caught then your carrier is over..

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
This is just the reality. This is what happens from to to bottom. Why are people in Lok Sabha shouting upon the Civil Society for what they say. Those politicians knows in their hearts that what Anna said is true. It happens in every single Department. If today Mr. Singh would also have taken the bribe then no one would ever coming to know about it. Its just that others except that money bag and Mr. Singh didnt and showed courage to stand up against it. My sincere salute and support to him. That man won my and nations respect.

panduranghari

Offer was made directly to the Army Chief. How does the government come into the picture? As of now there is no mention of any government official. Unless the Army Chief tell more about this and if there is any government involvement.

What I make of this is the company tried to get the Army Chief to "advise" the government on further purchase of the vehicle and certify it's "quality" and "need" for the army.

The government will go by what the army wants.

Anyone seen the movie Hum? This situation reminds me of that movie.
The congress comes into the picture because it has been in the power the longest.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
The name of the company has been named in the T.V. channels and it is TATRA.........

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
How come TATRA, It just mind blowing coz TATRA vehicle are very much working everywhere..

Though it can be new 4x4 tatras..

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Ok let me tell you guys, we give the utmost respect to our armed forces and consider it the last bastion of honesty and integrity. But right from canteen purchases there is corruption. I know about it as well a friend of mine use to/still does (maybe) supply army 515 unit in Bangalore right down to kitchen sink and tiles!

That said, I have no doubt that these Army personnel will be the first to jump in front of a hail of bullets to protect the country. They are humans and money is such a kutti cheez that it entices.
No disrespect to the armed forces here, but come on. In the armed forces, the sepoys are the most dedicated. They are disciplined well and they dont indulge in corruption. Its the officers who along with the local politicians who engage in this corruption. Corruption has become an integral part of the society so much so that the we have to tolerate the corruption in Army now.:tsk: Shame on us and our society

Also look at 14Cr Rs. , Its so meagre. Realy? just 14 Cr Rs. that too to the army chief. Give me a break.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
No disrespect to the armed forces here, but come on. In the armed forces, the sepoys are the most dedicated. They are disciplined well and they dont indulge in corruption. Its the officers who along with the local politicians who engage in this corruption. Corruption has become an integral part of the society so much so that the we have to tolerate the corruption in Army now.:tsk: Shame on us and our society

Also look at 14Cr Rs. , Its so meagre. Realy? just 14 Cr Rs. that too to the army chief. Give me a break.
What is your Point..

Its all Jawan, JCO and Officers are disciplined, There are few who makes the whole lake dirty..

Just coz of few you cannot blame the whole..

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Corruption is not a birthright of any class.

It is dependent on the environment, pressures, and more so, dependant on the character deficiency of an individual.

Let us say that a CM of a State is a thief, would it fair to classify that all who are in the State are thieves?

Obviously not.

More so, if someone still believes it be so, he is merely being daft.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles