Hyderabadi girl Boxing her way to World title

ejazr

Ambassador
Muslim Hyderabadi girl Boxing her way to World title | Siasat

Hyderabad, May 03: Three years ago, when she was just 12 years old, Nikhat Zareen accompanied her uncle to the Sports Authority of India centre in Nizamabad to learn boxing. She was the only girl there.

"She was very young when she wanted to box," recalls Nikhat's uncle, Samsamuddin, who is also the Nizamabad district boxing coach. The family tried to stop her at first, but when her cousins, Etheshamuddin and Itishamuddin, both international pugilists, encouraged her, they eventually gave in.

"As a Muslim girl, it was a tough choice to make as everyone questioned what I was doing in the boxing ring. There were almost no female boxers where I trained in Hyderabad, and I was often alienated," says Nikhat.

But all her efforts have finally paid off. Nikhat, along with three other Indian women pugilists — Lalenkawli, Sarjubala Devi and Minu Basumatary — won the gold yesterday at the AIBA Women's Youth and Junior World Championship held in Antalya, Turkey.

As 15-year-old Nikhat clenched her fists and fell to her haunches during the final of the 50 kg bout, after beating home favourite Ulku Demir 27-16, the difficult choices seemed worth every hurdle. "My parents and brothers supported me. I could not have done this without them," she says.

"We knew it was going to be very difficult to break the shackles of society," says her proud mother, Parveen Sultana. "But I knew that if anyone could do it, it would have to be Nikhat. She did not throw tantrums like the other girls and she had a man's dedication to her sport. Even we would treat her like a boy," she says.

"She used to train with the boys as she was quite adamant about proving her point. With the medal, she has proved that everyone is equal in the field of sport," says Samsamsudin.

The family was not well-off. When she was just a child, Nikhat's father, Mohammad Jameel, took up a job in Saudi Arabia. While her three sisters chose academia as their way out of poverty, Jameel recalls how some sections of society ridiculed his family for allowing Nikhat to participate in a "man's sport". "She has made the entire nation proud today, not just our family and community. We all knew that it wouldn't be easy, but Nikhat has always been one to break tradition. I'm overjoyed that it paid off for her."

While Nikhat had her extended family to turn to, Lalenkawli's parents were small-time farmers in Lawngelai, a tiny hamlet in Mizoram. The only decent training centre was 300 kilometres away in Aizawl, a journey that the 15-year-old was more than willing to make four years ago.

Phenom

Hyderabad seems to produce good sportsmen in several different sports, does it have better sports infrastructure than other Indian cities or is it because of more importance being given to sports at school level.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Good luck to her in her career ...hope she does herself, her family and her country proud.

mayfair

Well done lass. Now you and your colleagues go get the glory.

On a lighter note, I fear for the poor sod who unwittingly tries to tease or molest her!!

Rage

DFI TEAM
Here she is! It makes me so happy to see young female athletes rep'ing the country. Good going girl! Keep your chin low and your shoulders up tight!

If somebody could translate what she's saying, that'd be really nice.

I'd love to help her with a good set of mitts and wraps, if she needed it.

Last edited by a moderator:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
If somebody could translate what she's saying, that'd be really nice.
The Telugu reporter is saying that the girl from Nizamabad has a lot of interest in boxing and won the Gold Medal at the championship, even though her parents didn't approve of her boxing.

I don't understand the Urdu, sorry.

Rage

DFI TEAM
The Telugu reporter is saying that the girl from Nizamabad has a lot of interest in boxing and won the Gold Medal at the championship, even though her parents didn't approve of her boxing.

I don't understand the Urdu, sorry.
Thanks. I understand the Urdu/Hindustani bit. Her father's just saying, that more than the fact that he is happy his daughter was involved in the feat, he is happy to have brought joy to his family and to his Hindustan. The girl is saying, that she was selected for the World Championship in the 50 kg. category out of eight players and that she's happy she brought back the gold medal.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles