Hyderabad 1948: India's hidden massacre

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
@tarunraju, part of the reason N Karnataka is backward compared to rest of the state is it was ruled by Nizam. While the Mysore Maharaja was building colleges , dams , irrigation canals and power plants in his area, Nizam ruled area was stagnating.

I am assuming similar reasons for Telangana being backward compared to rest of Andhra which was under Madras state.
That doesn't explain why Hyderabad was/is thriving compared to rural Telangana, through the decades after Independence. In fact, the Nizam's effective power did not extend much beyond the limits of Hyderabad city itself.

The reasons for the backwardness of any Indian region has to do with poor governance or neglect in the past six decades since Independence, not something which happened centuries ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

parijataka

Country flag
That doesn't explain why Hyderabad was/is thriving compared to rural Telangana, through the decades after Independence. In fact, the Nizam's effective power did not extend much beyond the limits of Hyderabad city itself.

The reasons for the backwardness of any Indian region has to do with poor governance or neglect in the past six decades since Independence, not something which happened centuries ago.
Hmm... Mysore maharaja built KR Sagar, irrigation canals, colleges and the first hydro electric power plant of Asia all in the 20 th century.

We are not talking about Vijayanagr times here.

Of course Hyderabad was flourishing because of the ingenious Persians... j/k !

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Hmm... Mysore maharaja built KR Sagar, irrigation canals, colleges and the first hydro electric power plant of Asia all in the 20 th century.

We are not talking about Vijayanagr times here.

Of course Hyderabad was flourishing because of the ingenious Persians... j/k !
Actually Hyderabad also has some of the oldest public institutions, universities and hospitals in South India. Osmania University for example was founded in 1918, and is the third oldest public university in South India. Osmania General Hospital, Government Nizamia General Hospital, and Niloufer Hospital were all established before Independence (just off the top of my head).

And the Nizams were not Persians.

parijataka

Country flag
Actually Hyderabad also has some of the oldest public institutions, universities and hospitals in South India. Osmania University for example was founded in 1918, and is the third oldest public university in South India. Osmania General Hospital, Government Nizamia General Hospital, and Niloufer Hospital were all established before Independence (just off the top of my head).

And the Nizams were not Persians.
Persians was just a red herring @civfanatic for you - you missed the little j/k (just kidding!) at the end...:p

On topic - Maharajas of Mysore were definitely more beneficial and benevolent to their subjects than the Nizam and his coterie in Hyderabad.

Last edited by a moderator:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
On topic - Maharajas of Mysore were definitely more beneficial and benevolent to their subjects than the Nizam and his coterie in Hyderabad.
I'm not disagreeing with that, I just don't understand its relevance. You seemed to imply in your previous post that Mysore invested in modern institutions, while Hyderabad did not - that is clearly false. Whether or not the Nizam was "beneficial" or "benevolent" doesn't really matter. What matters is that the hospitals and universities established in the early 20th century in Hyderabad are still in use today, and is one reason why Hyderabad is quite well-developed (at least by Indian standards).

parijataka

Country flag
I'm not disagreeing with that, I just don't understand its relevance. You seemed to imply in your previous post that Mysore invested in modern institutions, while Hyderabad did not - that is clearly false. Whether or not the Nizam was "beneficial" or "benevolent" doesn't really matter. What matters is that the hospitals and universities established in the early 20th century in Hyderabad are still in use today, and is one reason why Hyderabad is quite well-developed (at least by Indian standards).
What about the other things I mentioned i.e. civic works such irrigation and electricity ?

Pl elaborate - would like to know more.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles