Hunting laws in India

trackwhack

Is there any bird or animal I can hunt as prey in India? Can someone point me to some info. Google did not help.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Doubt the authorities in India care enough to actually enforce hunting laws, whatever they may be, except perhaps in some areas. I say go for whatever your heart desires!

trackwhack

Doubt the authorities in India care enough to actually enforce hunting laws, whatever they may be, except perhaps in some areas. I say go for whatever your heart desires!
Er no. Not going for heart desires. Strictly legal shit only. My question is more specific to quails, partridges and wild hares. These are plenty in my farm. Am I allowed to hunt them to eat?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I wonder if anyone has had the time to read the law on the issue.

But I take it that it is wise not to kill anything lest it is found that it is am endangered and seriously endangered specie!

Though on a food show on TV, it was mentioned that there was bater on the menu!

Even if it were, I would not eat it, lest I am hauled up for stomaching an endangered bird!

Salman Khan, Saif Ali Khan would be better qualified to tell us all about the Wild Life Protection Law.

If you are that keen on hunting, why don't you buy some hens (keep the cash memo as record), release them on your estate and then hunt them!

Last edited:

trackwhack

Not keen on hunting. I'm looking at this purely as a source of food rather than as game. Also I have a mudhol hound that has getting big now and has started stalking and with some success. Considering all this I just wanted to know what the laws are. Again quails and partridges only. I am into birding and recognize all the important species not to touch them.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
This maybe of interest to you.

Chapter III of the Wildlife Act (it has a fancy title)

[(9 Prohibition of Hunting. � No person shall hunt any wild animal specified in Schedule, I, II, III and IV except as provided under section 11 and section 12. 1]

12. Grant of permit for special purposes. - Notwithstanding anything contained elsewhere in this Act, it shall be lawful for the Chief Wildlife Warden, to grant [***3] a permit, by an order in writing stating the reasons therefor, to any person, on payment of such fee as may be prescribed, which shall entitle the holder of such permit to hunt, subject to such conditions as may be specified therein, any wild animal specified in such permit, for the purpose of
http://envfor.nic.in/legis/wildlife/wildlife1c3.html

trackwhack

17. "Restrictions on hunting. -(I) No person shall
(a) hunt any wild animal, from or by means of, a wheeled or mechanically propelled vehicle on water or land, or by aircraft;
(b) use an aircraft, motor vehicle or launch for the purpose of driving or stampeding any wild animal;
(c) hunt any wild animal with chemicals, explosives, nets, pitfalls, poisonous, poisoned weapons, snares or traps, except insofar as they relate to the capture or wild animals under a Wild Animal Trapping Licence;
(d) hunt any special game or big game other than with a rifle unless specially authorised by the licence to hunt with a shot gun using single-slug bullets;
(e) for the purpose of hunting, set fire to any vegetation;
(f) use any artificial light for the purpose of hunting except when specially authorised to do so under licence in the case of carnivora over a kill;
(h) hunt any wild animal on a salt-lick or waterwheel or other drinking place or on path or approach to the game, except sandgrouse and waterbirds;
(i) hunt any wild animal on any land not owned by Government, without the consent of that owner or his agent or the lawful occupant of such land;
(j) notwithstanding that he holds a licence for the purpose, hunt any wild animal during the closed time referred to in Sec. 16;
(k) hunt, with the help of dogs, any wild animal except waterbird, chakor, partridge, or quail;
(2) The provisions of sub-section (1) shall not apply to vermin. " [Omitted]

Thanks ray.

Does the above mean I can hunt quail and partridge without a liscence?

trackwhack

Apparently nothing other than crows, fruit bats and vermin is allowed. What a bummer. But my dog on the other hand is allowed to hunt quail and partridge.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Apparently nothing other than crows, fruit bats and vermin is allowed. What a bummer. But my dog on the other hand is allowed to hunt quail and partridge.
It says: No person shall hunt, with the help of dogs, any wild animal except..., which means you can hunt the exceptions.

Last edited:

TheLord

Hunting as a source of food? The entire species will disappear from your neighborhood sooner. Why don't you raise poultry in your farm. They can keep the bugs population under control. You can raise chickens, ducks, quails ( cortunix quail also called Japanese quail).

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Hunting as a source of food? The entire species will disappear from your neighborhood sooner. Why don't you raise poultry in your farm. They can keep the bugs population under control. You can raise chickens, ducks, quails ( cortunix quail also called Japanese quail).

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Shotgunworld.com "¢ View topic - Alas ! Hunting totally banned in India

Hunting got banned here in India somewhere around the early 80's.
Prior to the ban one could book blocks(designated forest areas) and enjoy a little bit of hunting as per the limits prescribed for partridge / grouse / jungle fowl / pheasant / deer / wild boar / etc.

However now there is no hunting allowed whatsoever although in certain parts of the country wild boar & blue bull have been declared a vermin and permission can be obtained to shoot them but the carcass remains a property of the state which means you cannot remove and take away the meat etc.

Was also reading a lovely post , i think it was on "Snipe Hunter's" forum where someone was talking about the teeming game found along the river Yamuna which runs through North India. Alas the Yamuna is right now so polluted that there is no wildlife anywhere in or around it.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@W.G.Ewald

On a lighter note, US is the best place for some good hunting.

You can even shoot your friend!

Remember Dic.k Cheney!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The tribal in NE hunt with impunity since they are themselves treated as endangered.

The poachers do the rest of it to deplete the stock.

Controlled hunting, respecting tribal rights and poaching the poachers is the only answer!

pmaitra

@trackwhack

What exactly are you trying to hunt?

I have hunted, although that may not be the appropriate word, snails and cobras. To be precise, I have used a pellet gun to kill these animals.

Last edited by a moderator:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
You can hunt Wild boar which are treated as vermin, once every few years they get over populated in numbers in areas with large sugar cane fields. Locals arrange hunting parties. boar is the only animal i know which can be hunted without having to give explanation, for others jail time is guaranteed now a days.

in andhra forest department has turned tribals into informers, they were given mobile phones to report suspicious activities.

Sadly hunting days are gone in india!!!!!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles