How will IA perform in urban combat

Galaxy

Country flag
Good. Keep your powder dry.
India today is under transformation, politically, economically and militarily.
Under futuristic scenarios, India has to shoulder its responsibilities as a stabilising force in the region and outside the region. India can not shy it away being a bigger and responsible country.

India has to be prepared for larger roles in out of area contingencies including humanitarian relief besides helping out their neighbours. Hence dealing with cities for various contingencies is a real possibility. IA thus has to remain prepared for all types of Urban situation including balst of nucs by Jehadi terrorist inside or outside Pakistani cities.

If Dhaka or Jaffna or Kathmandu is under seize and their govt ask Indian help, IA can not say "ask American or Chinese to sort out your problem as you do not know urban warfare !"

Responsibilities of Armed Forces is much varied and substantial than the police forces. Even our CPOs have to be prepared for contingencies.
Well, I agree with you on few points.

As i said, such situation is highly unlikely in India due to our capability. Only Possibilities is outside (Pakistan or if we interefere in any of our neighbouring countries. We don't have enough track record for that where we were involved)

Well, Our Army has capability to take control over Dhaka, Kathmandu or Jaffna/Colombo. But it's more to do with political will rather than Army capability. [I didn't mentioned that scenario as it will depends on 2 countries mutual agreement and Political will]. IMO, We should get involved in any neighbouring countries trouble as it will directly/indirectly effects us in long run.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
No army would like to get involved in Urban warfare.

There are techniques and weaponry to combat such a situation, but it 'eats' up troops and is a huge task, leaving little to pursue the main task.

They would prefer to bypass and only isolate.
Also Soviet doctrine, IIRC.

bhramos

Country flag
IA is good enough to not let happen accidents like Grozny or Fallujah..

If have read these Battles are Epic failures costing massive civilian causalities and properties, IA first priority is protection of civilians..

Btw, Operation Pawan was intense and ill planed, But IA kept low on destruction of civilian property..

Operation Pawan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
in future the only place such wars could happen was J&K, but not very big, but small situation may arise their........

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
in future the only place such wars could happen was J&K, but not very big, but small situation may arise their........
I doubt, With the Amount of troops there as permanent, No one dares..

Global Defence

New threads

Articles